Motorized Bike Build-Off!!

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
We should have a bike build-off on this forum, and then have members cast their votes to see which bike wins. The competitors each have to start from an agreed total budget for the build-off.... (I'm thinking under $200 total?), I would like the total amount to be low to see what kind of creations people can come up with on a tight budget. And also have a deadline to complete the build?

For our 1st bike build-off, I propose these 2 guys........

"Venice Motor Bikes" > VS < "KCvale"

Are you ready, Venice? Are you ready, KCvale? Let the battle BEGIN!

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I actually block all facetwit sites in my hosts file, and don't watch any 'reality' TV ever.

Perhaps that is why I fail to see the point here. Most of my customers get on the bike & go somewhere, then if they get back OK, they figure it was a good build.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
A $200 budget would severely limit your creativity and result in pretty junky builds unless you got really lucky with scavenging. It would also disqualify pretty much all the 4 strokes and interesting mods. Personally if we were going to do a build-off I'd not want to see any restrictions on what we could build or how we could build it or how much we could spend. Then we could all build to our fullest potential.

Feb 2, 2017
California
A $200 budget would severely limit your creativity and result in pretty junky builds unless you got really lucky with scavenging. It would also disqualify pretty much all the 4 strokes and interesting mods. Personally if we were going to do a build-off I'd not want to see any restrictions on what we could build or how we could build it or how much we could spend. Then we could all build to our fullest potential.
But I think if you set a low-budget, it really forces builders to think outside the box and come up with creative ideas..... plus it will give builders more incentive to actually do a build-off because they aren't looking to spend a lot on something that will be fun and enjoyable. Maybe bump the total to $300?

Venice Motor Bikes seems like he's willing to participate in this, I'm trying to get KCvale to go up against him.... but I think he's afraid, hahaha. Anyway, how about you, TheNecromancer13? You willing to take on Venice? :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can't put any kind of limit on how much you can spend because you'll just get a bunch of 'rat rod' junkers being built (or you'll have guys cheating on how much they really spent).

It's all or nothing! ;)

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
But I think if you set a low-budget, it really forces builders to think outside the box and come up with creative ideas..... plus it will give builders more incentive to actually do a build-off because they aren't looking to spend a lot on something that will be fun and enjoyable. Maybe bump the total to $300?

Venice Motor Bikes seems like he's willing to participate in this, I'm trying to get KCvale to go up against him.... but I think he's afraid, hahaha. Anyway, how about you, TheNecromancer13? You willing to take on Venice? :)
If you set a low budget, it encourages anyone with quality standards to not bother participating, and anyone else to build crappy bikes and cut corners.
If it was no limits I might participate in a build off. Probably wouldn't win cause I'm not a very good welder yet, so I can't make custom frames, but I'd gladly participate.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Also... If anyone's gonna get on here & challenge two other people against each other (& make them spend lots of time & money), they'd better be able to enter the contest themselves!! ;)

Feb 2, 2017
California
Also... If anyone's gonna get on here & challenge two other people against each other (& make them spend lots of time & money), they'd better be able to enter the contest themselves!! ;)
I would Venice, but I will admit.... I'm still new to the game. Only had my ride for less than a year now? With that said, are you willing to go up against Thenecromancer for a build-off? Seems like he's ready for it. With that said, Necro, Venice isn't one to play around with, I've been looking at his builds..... I wouldn't say it's my style but, he knows what he's doing.

So will you two agree to a show-down? But we'll set the rules first, with what you two agree on.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
As I said, I probably wouldn't win, I've seen venice's builds as well. For me, a build-off would have to wait till I either have some money or find my next custom bike customer, as after building my lifan bike and hurting my hand, I'm kind of broke right now. I may have a customer right now, but we're still working out the details and he hasn't actually decided what he wants yet.

Feb 2, 2017
California
That is why, with Venice..... he goes all out, and you were the one to say no limit on budget, but I'm telling you, if you've not the budget, Venice is probably not one you want to play around with. Creativity goes a long way, but at the same time you need a budget.... I initially wanted to keep the budget to the bare minimum, only because I want to see what kind of creations one can come up with on a no-budget build. But if Venice is away over your head, I understand that, because it seems he has the tools for the trade and whatever he has at his disposal with no worries as far as monetary matters is concern.... so maybe in the future? But for now, I think him and KCvale would make a good match-up, though I think KCvale is tentative. I like KCvale's builds, and would like to see this happen.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
That is why, with Venice..... he goes all out, and you were the one to say no limit on budget, but I'm telling you, if you've not the budget, Venice is probably not one you want to play around with. Creativity goes a long way, but at the same time you need a budget.... I initially wanted to keep the budget to the bare minimum, only because I want to see what kind of creations one can come up with on a no-budget build. But if Venice is away over your head, I understand that, because it seems he has the tools for the trade and whatever he has at his disposal with no worries as far as monetary matters is concern.... so maybe in the future? But for now, I think him and KCvale would make a good match-up, though I think KCvale is tentative. I like KCvale's builds, and would like to see this happen.
It's not that I don't think I could build a really good bike, it's that with my current financial situation, I'm unable to do so, and I refuse to build a crappy bike on a budget limit. I'd rather not have a contest at all than have a contest filled with crappy $300 builds.

Feb 2, 2017
California
It's not that I don't think I could build a really good bike, it's that with my current financial situation, I'm unable to do so, and I refuse to build a crappy bike on a budget limit. I'd rather not have a contest at all than have a contest filled with crappy $300 builds.
IF you want to build a good project, I have a good plan........ if you could incorporate it with what you want to build and your style. I won't share it but, if u got the mechanics, and fortitude...

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I kinda like the unrestricted budget build idea. It allows for a bunch of creativity and ingenuity. A MB can certainly be built for under $200 if one thinks outside of the kit box.

This forum has some of the most awesome builds probably ever done in the MB genre no doubt. I'm constantly amazed!

However I think it might be fun to see what can be put together on the other end of the scale. Sort of a McGyver build off.