motorized bike safety with digital displays

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
This is coming from my own experience. If you have a digital speedometer that displays your average speed, distance, time, max speed, and current speed, do NOT, under ANY circumstance, take your eyes off the road to look at it for more than a half second, and NEVER anywhere within stopping distance of a traffic light or other intersection. I took my eyes off the road because my speedo was reading a max of 57 mph, for only a couple of seconds, and when i looked up, the only thing i saw was a minivan's driver side tail light. I had no time to react in any way, and i hit. Luckily, i didn't hit my head, only split the skin on my knee a bit, and had a few scrapes on my hand. Not everyone will be that lucky, and i KNOW that I will not be that lucky again. So, remember, if you MUST take your eyes off the road, EVEN FOR A SECOND, pull the clutch, stop, and THEN look at what you need to. If you fail to do this, it won't be just the bike that dies.
.duh.

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Motorcycles and cars have gauges and are needed. Typically, a glance at a gauge is a mere fraction of a second. I think what you are trying to say is; Don't troubleshoot a problem while riding down the road. I have a digital gauge also, but it is mostly for gathering data so I know when to do maintenance. Since my top speed is around 27 mph I don't look at my speed much, but it is still fun to know how fast you are going. It's a good thing you weren't really going at your gauges stated speed or that would have hurt a lot more. Hope you and your bike recover okay. Thanks for the reminder to always be on guard.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
The thing is Car guages are in your FOV. Bike speedos are not.
And 57mph? Holy Crap! I hope that was a malfunction or you were going down a hill, still how the heck did you reach that speed? And on what kind of road? Because that was over the speed limit if I had to guess.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
The thing is Car guages are in your FOV. Bike speedos are not.
And 57mph? Holy Crap! I hope that was a malfunction or you were going down a hill, still how the heck did you reach that speed? And on what kind of road? Because that was over the speed limit if I had to guess.
that is the part i was trying to figure out. i have NEVER gone anywhere near that fast. fastest i have ever gone on any bike was 35, and that was down a mountain road. with a jackshaft, i plan on breaking that top speed and maybe getting to 55, tops. these images are the result of my crash. sorry i didn't add this when i posted them. still, im lucky to have only this damage. coulda been a hundred times worse.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Dang Necromancer. That's some serious speed.

A predator on a bike gear system would be... scary in a way. That's a lot of torque too.
I know. I will probably never go 68 on it again, but there was one of those radar signs near some road construction near my house, and I wanted to see what my top speed actually was. It was scary fast. But also awesome.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
with that kinda speed, you want to have analog monitors. you want a tach and speedo, and i hope you have disk brakes and a class M license, or don't get caught. i don't know the laws in oregon, but here in nevada, max speed limit is 35 or you need a class M. class C otherwise, regardless of cc, as motorized bikes are considered mopeds here.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
with that kinda speed, you want to have analog monitors. you want a tach and speedo, and i hope you have disk brakes and a class M license, or don't get caught. i don't know the laws in oregon, but here in nevada, max speed limit is 35 or you need a class M. class C otherwise, regardless of cc, as motorized bikes are considered mopeds here.
The build isn't quite finished yet, so I don't have a tach and speedo yet, but I'll add them once I finish and have a bit of money again. Right now the bike is rideable, but I don't have the money to put the finishing touches on (connect the pedals, add headlights, tach and speedo). I have very high end 180 mm disc brakes on both wheels. In Oregon, the law is 34cc and 20 mph without a class M license, 49cc and 30 mph with class M, so my bike is illegal no matter what. However, my experience has been that if I don't act like a jerk while riding and obey the rules of the road, the cops around here could care less. Here's the bike btw:

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Oh, cops will stop him.

To say "that's a freaking awesome motorcycle you got there".

You might want to look into registering it as a homebuilt motorcycle. At this point, that's all it is.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Oh, cops will stop him.

To say "that's a freaking awesome motorcycle you got there".

You might want to look into registering it as a homebuilt motorcycle. At this point, that's all it is.
yea, I'm looking into that, problem I'm running into is insurance. There's not many companies that will insure a homemade vehicle, and none that will do it for a price I can afford.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Look for insurance companies that insure "custom motorcycles". In most cases home built and custom are identical in Oregon, according to their laws that I've read.
In most cases you are right, however "custom" requires that you have a real motorcycle frame that meets a bunch of safety standards, which my bike frame does not.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Don't pull the trigger. Squeeze it. You will find better control and accuracy. But this is not a gun forum. It's a motorized bike forum. Related topics only please, in each thread.
Update: this was in response to what seems like a system error. In any case, it was fixed and this comment should be deleted to avoid any further confusion.

Last edited: