what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Took the build I bought over the weekend (my stepping stone back into this hobby) back to work on lunch. 6 miles w/o issues. I'll be riding it back in an hour or so. I'll throw on the mirror and speedometer when they come in today, then its time for some measuring and ordering. I will be ordering a Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter cause this build came with the standard spoke brackets, and probably a JNM X Port. I was also looking at a new chain tensioner out of Michigan but I may hold off on that, after adjusting the stock one that came on this build it seems to be holding up ok.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Took the build I bought over the weekend (my stepping stone back into this hobby) back to work on lunch. 6 miles w/o issues. I'll be riding it back in an hour or so. I'll throw on the mirror and speedometer when they come in today, then its time for some measuring and ordering. I will be ordering a Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter cause this build came with the standard spoke brackets, and probably a JNM X Port. I was also looking at a new chain tensioner out of Michigan but I may hold off on that, after adjusting the stock one that came on this build it seems to be holding up ok.
Welcome back...

I got multiple sprocket adapters from Pirate cycles and Jake's lately and Im very happy with them, nice parts, actually look like they are made by the same person everything about them is identical and nicely machined with good quality hardware.

Map

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Welcome back...

I got multiple sprocket adapters from Pirate cycles and Jake's lately and Im very happy with them, nice parts, actually look like they are made by the same person everything about them is identical and nicely machined with good quality hardware.

Map
Yeah it looks like those are both MM hub adapters. I may be purchasing through Jake's then, thanks for the tip. Good to see you're still around too, I think you helped me with some troubleshooting a few years ago :)

Quick suggestion from you if you will. The rear wheel that is on this build now is a 24" 5-speed. What sprocket adapter should I buy or would I be better served completely replacing the rear wheel with a larger freewheel hub? It looks like I may need the "5,6,7 Speed" version shown on SpookyTooth, but I am not sure if I am measuring the hub correctly. (The first time I measured the axle diameter...doh)

I haven't seen much info for that small of a diameter yet. And I do want to stay away from a coaster brake if I can, I tend to pedal backwards idly while riding and don't want to forget and hurt the bike.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah it looks like those are both MM hub adapters. I may be purchasing through Jake's then, thanks for the tip. Good to see you're still around too, I think you helped me with some troubleshooting a few years ago :)

Quick suggestion from you if you will. The rear wheel that is on this build now is a 24" 5-speed. What sprocket adapter should I buy or would I be better served completely replacing the rear wheel with a larger freewheel hub? It looks like I may need the "5,6,7 Speed" version shown on SpookyTooth, but I am not sure if I am measuring the hub correctly. (The first time I measured the axle diameter...doh)

I haven't seen much info for that small of a diameter yet. And I do want to stay away from a coaster brake if I can, I tend to pedal backwards idly while riding and don't want to forget and hurt the bike.
Yeah I took a little time off myself about a year and a half ago, but im clicking right along again.

I've never used a hub adapter on a multi speed wheel at this point, but I do know that on Manics site he offers to make a custom bushing in whatever size thats needed, so I would consider going that route if you like the wheel you already have.

I have two bikes that im running multi speed wheels on and both are running the stock rag joint coupler, one of the bikes has an old style wheel that has the really small center hub diameter, maybe 3/4" or so, im not sure if an adapter would be a good idea on a hub that small since there wouldn't be enough surface area for the adapter to grip on and most likely all the pressure would be getting applied to just three spokes to pull the wheel.

That wheel is one that has a 5 gear free wheel sprocket set on it and if I were to ever decide to used an adapter on that bike rather than a rag joint I be looking to upgrade the wheel to one with a larger hub diameter.

Im sure there are others here than can probably advize better on the subject since I haven't ever used an adapter on a multi speed wheel, bit those are my thoughts on it.

Another consideration may be to use a coaster wheel link a Shimano hub wheel and convert it to a freewheel that eliminates the coaster brake, I know a few people on here have done it and think its an excellent set up, im thinking I will do one myself on my old huffy bike since the coaster brake has never been nearly as good as the Shimano wheels, several vidoes on youtube that shows clearly how to do the mod and several here that can tell you also.

Best wishes Cyclin and again welcome back to the family..

Map

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
It's a lot cheaper to order direct from Manic Mechanic. I ordered my adapter from them and my sprocket from BikeBerry, but now Manic has them for $9 cheaper than BikeBerry.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got to go on a ride today!
We are about to move out of state, and so all I have been doing for the last 3 months is fixing the house to sell and packing!
I have gotten out for the occasional ride, but tonight I told my wife I needed to go ride and run the bike out of fuel for the move! lol She's smarter than that, and didn't buy it, but we were done working for the day and she didn't mind anyway. (I probably would have gone anyway! lol)
Rode around in the dark for about 45 minutes. The tank was close to empty when I started, and I still didn't run out of gas.
I haven't checked the MPG since I got it tuned, but it must be better cause I should have run out.
Oh well. Ill just use that excuse 1 more time in the next couple of days! lol

When I got back I was walking up behind my bike and that angle caught my eye so I took a pic.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I got to go on a ride today!
We are about to move out of state, and so all I have been doing for the last 3 months is fixing the house to sell and packing!
I have gotten out for the occasional ride, but tonight I told my wife I needed to go ride and run the bike out of fuel for the move! lol She's smarter than that, and didn't buy it, but we were done working for the day and she didn't mind anyway. (I probably would have gone anyway! lol)
Rode around in the dark for about 45 minutes. The tank was close to empty when I started, and I still didn't run out of gas.
I haven't checked the MPG since I got it tuned, but it must be better cause I should have run out.
Oh well. Ill just use that excuse 1 more time in the next couple of days! lol

When I got back I was walking up behind my bike and that angle caught my eye so I took a pic.

Well hate to hear your leaving the great State of Texas man, but hey gotta move on to other things sometime.

Hope where y'all are headed that they are motorized bike friendly so you can continue to enjoy the ride.

Best wishes and hope to see you back on here telling us about the new stomping ground you have to ride on.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah... really... sorry to hear you gotta leave Texas... Hopefully wherever you go you can still ride without Johnny Law trying to spoil your fun... Good luck and let us know how your new home is

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Yeah I took a little time off myself about a year and a half ago, but im clicking right along again.

I've never used a hub adapter on a multi speed wheel at this point, but I do know that on Manics site he offers to make a custom bushing in whatever size thats needed, so I would consider going that route if you like the wheel you already have.

I have two bikes that im running multi speed wheels on and both are running the stock rag joint coupler, one of the bikes has an old style wheel that has the really small center hub diameter, maybe 3/4" or so, im not sure if an adapter would be a good idea on a hub that small since there wouldn't be enough surface area for the adapter to grip on and most likely all the pressure would be getting applied to just three spokes to pull the wheel.

That wheel is one that has a 5 gear free wheel sprocket set on it and if I were to ever decide to used an adapter on that bike rather than a rag joint I be looking to upgrade the wheel to one with a larger hub diameter.

Im sure there are others here than can probably advize better on the subject since I haven't ever used an adapter on a multi speed wheel, bit those are my thoughts on it.

Another consideration may be to use a coaster wheel link a Shimano hub wheel and convert it to a freewheel that eliminates the coaster brake, I know a few people on here have done it and think its an excellent set up, im thinking I will do one myself on my old huffy bike since the coaster brake has never been nearly as good as the Shimano wheels, several vidoes on youtube that shows clearly how to do the mod and several here that can tell you also.

Best wishes Cyclin and again welcome back to the family..

Map
Thanks for the advice :) I think I will go for an all-new wheel. Before I install a hub adapter I would need to re-spoke this one anyway. When I rode home yesterday upon arrival I noticed the wheel wasn't as true as when I left. Looks like I broke a spoke, but luckily it didn't harm anything else. Unfortunately my spares are all 26" from my earlier builds, and there is just not enough frame space to fit it to the 24" frame.

I figure if I am going to have to retrue the wheel, coupled with the non-standard hub for an adapter and the fact that I am not a huge fan of the current multi-speed cog set, I may as well buy a whole new wheel I like more and keep the old as a spare. I will re-measure the hub when I go home on lunch and make a final decision. Thanks again

It's a lot cheaper to order direct from Manic Mechanic. I ordered my adapter from them and my sprocket from BikeBerry, but now Manic has them for $9 cheaper than BikeBerry.
I was originally looking at ordering direct from them. If I do put it on the 5-speed wouldn't I have to purchase the $30 bushing as well? On Spooky I see an option for the 5,6,7 speed for a smaller diameter hub, at no extra charge. It may be the same on MM but I the page is a little harder to understand. I will re-measure the hub in 3 hours so I know exactly what I looking for in case I keep the rear wheel rather than purchasing a whole new one.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here is a deal you cant beat with a stick in my opinion, 12 ga spoke and a good steel wheel master wheel...24"

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...cle-wheel-24-x-2-125-36h-steel-bolt-on-silver

$17.24

Also here is a bunch more to look through if the wheel master isn't what you have in mind.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels/wheels/24

Map

Thanks for the advice :) I think I will go for an all-new wheel. Before I install a hub adapter I would need to re-spoke this one anyway. When I rode home yesterday upon arrival I noticed the wheel wasn't as true as when I left. Looks like I broke a spoke, but luckily it didn't harm anything else. Unfortunately my spares are all 26" from my earlier builds, and there is just not enough frame space to fit it to the 24" frame.

I figure if I am going to have to retrue the wheel, coupled with the non-standard hub for an adapter and the fact that I am not a huge fan of the current multi-speed cog set, I may as well buy a whole new wheel I like more and keep the old as a spare. I will re-measure the hub when I go home on lunch and make a final decision. Thanks again

Last edited:

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I have bought a couple of items from Niagra cycle. Have had very good success.
One time I was trying to buy a thorn resistant 27" tube for my MB, and somehow I accidentally ordered a 12" tube! lol I called them and explained and they said I could return it and get credit back. No problem. I never sent it back, cause I'm really bad about that, but that's not their fault.

About leaving Texas, Thanks all for your thoughts. I think this is going to be good for me and mine. We cannot afford to live the country life I was raised in here in Central Texas because land rates have become so high. My wife had an opportunity to transfer to NW Arkansas, and we bought a house on almost 2 acres in a small town. Around 3,000 residents, and we will be just outside the city limits. No HOAs to deal with and all that comes with suburban life!
I am looking forward to it. I will miss Texas, but I am moving the "The Natural State."

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
By the way. I will probably get to do more on my projects there because with less expensive living, I am only planning on working part time from home! So I am excited about that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
By the way. I will probably get to do more on my projects there because with less expensive living, I am only planning on working part time from home! So I am excited about that.
Congrats and I know I wish you the best and Im sure many others here feel the same way, looking forward to seeing you back here asap when you get settled in, some nice pix of the area you will be stomping around in would be nice as well, sounds like y'all have a good plan.

Map

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
A few days ago, I had ordered a project box on ebay. Today it arrived, and I installed it to hold my battery. Previously my battery was just hose clamped to my luggage rack, and I didn't like the fact that it could get wet. Now it's protected from the elements, and looks a lot better to boot.

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
So, this morning my bike would not shift into first gear (the one my transmission likes for taking off). I tried and tried, and it just wouldn't do it so I rode to work (mostly downhill) pedaling like a madman and then engaging the engine once I got some speed. The transmission did not like it, and nor did I. All through the day I couldn't wait to get back home and figure out what was happening... actually pedaled her all the way home :(

Turns out it was just a washer in the wrong place, making the wheel skewed a tiny bit to the left - the derailleur would not engage properly. As soon as I spotted it, 5 minute fix the the trusty ol' ratcheting socket wrench. Now she's back in action! I are stoke.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Still awaiting my order from an Ebay seller for my SRM weedie engine, no point in riding this bike until the engine is ready and perfect.

Someday I hope to do a HT engine install, have to admit despite their reputation, they are intriguing.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Finally got some time to actually ride on mine some... I've been so busy the last several weeks getting my new business set up that all I have been able to do most days is just walk pass my bike and look at it or move it out of the way when I need access to my tool boxes.
the good news, and I mean really good news is the auto shop I was going to open up back in April, that deal fell thru the day before I had to go and sign the paperwork to get into the building, then out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I get a call from the guy and he's asking me if I'm still interested in the shop. He didn't have to ask me twice and I'll be setting up shop in the next 2 weeks so I should be up and running the first week of July.
After that deal fell thru is when I bought the CNC router and spent about a week setting everything up and learning how to use it, and spent some serious bucks on some embroidery software for my wife's embroidery machine so we also got a DBA for that business and we're going to run it part time since the auto shop will need to take priority.

I did actually get to install one of the copper exhaust gaskets I made before going out for a ride and I'm liking it so far, no more nuts working their way loose and no leaks at all... None :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Finally got some time to actually ride on mine some... I've been so busy the last several weeks getting my new business set up that all I have been able to do most days is just walk pass my bike and look at it or move it out of the way when I need access to my tool boxes.
the good news, and I mean really good news is the auto shop I was going to open up back in April, that deal fell thru the day before I had to go and sign the paperwork to get into the building, then out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I get a call from the guy and he's asking me if I'm still interested in the shop. He didn't have to ask me twice and I'll be setting up shop in the next 2 weeks so I should be up and running the first week of July.
After that deal fell thru is when I bought the CNC router and spent about a week setting everything up and learning how to use it, and spent some serious bucks on some embroidery software for my wife's embroidery machine so we also got a DBA for that business and we're going to run it part time since the auto shop will need to take priority.

I did actually get to install one of the copper exhaust gaskets I made before going out for a ride and I'm liking it so far, no more nuts working their way loose and no leaks at all... None :D

Congrats Dave.... glad to hear things are working out good for y'all, it's a good thing when a great paln comes together.

Good to hear the copper gasket is working out also.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks... yeah, I'll be busy for the next several weeks for sure, and since it's been so long since I've worked in the auto industry I have a lot of classes I need to take so I can get my certs back. Mainly the state inspection cert and I got my son and I set up to go to that class and test on tuesday, then I need to get the AC cert since that's a big money maker here in Texas so I'm also studying that material in whatever free time I have. I still need to interview and hire at least one mechanic who hopefully has those certs as well. Then I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the bank getting the credit card machines ordered and set up... I've never had to deal with that issue before and thought it would just be a quick phone call, but they ask for Everything when you call them, then they forward you to someone else... who asks you for all that info again... then they email me a whole pile of stuff to sign, scan, and send back

So far I got about an hour of run time on the gasket I installed and there's no issues at all so it looks like they'll hold up to just about anything... once I come up with an efficient way to cut them on the machine.. lol

For the copper gasket, I cut 2 of them at 1/8" thick and then I annealed both of them dead soft... one is on my bike and the other is going to your address for you to put thru the ringer as well, then I got a few that were cut out of the .030" thick copper and I sent one along with that head with instructions how to anneal it, and have a few of them left over that I'll just send out to people when i send them stuff. I really need to perfect the cutting process with these since the copper tends to work harden as it's being cut, but I got an idea that might speed things up. I was cutting another 1/8" thick one and it was going good then started to chatter really badly and broke an end mill before I could hit the emergency stop, I checked everything, put in a new end mill thinking the first one was dull, ran the program and as soon as it hit that one spot it broke another one... I ended up getting it cut but had to slow the feed speed down to a crawl. Afterwards I was reading about how copper has a very poor machinability because it work hardens so I'm thinking if I cut out one, then stop and anneal the piece before cutting the next one I can avoid all that, or I'll need to cut the sheet down and cut out one at a time, either way I'll come up with something that works... As I get more time on the machine I'll be looking to make some adapters and brackets etc out of aluminum since the aluminum don't have that type of problem the copper does and the machine can rip thru it like butter.