Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I don’t know what to say, if you have images in Photobucket then you’re so close...

On my Mac I press command C to paste or it can also be done with a drop down menu under Edit.

-Kirk

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello from the "Old Guy". Last four months have been interesting...got real busy, then sick - got better, but fell way behind on work & became careless (thus injured) cured up...by that time way behind again at the shop etc.
No time for fun projects till this week & I did make some progress on the Simplex "Gator" built the bottom bracket & installed the motor mount plate, then changed the gas tank design.
Took plenty of photos & will upload as soon as I can figure out how to do it on my new Android, shouldn't be that difficult to learn. Hope to make a bit more progress during the winter as things should slow down at the shop. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
First try on posting from the Android. Basic motor mount base plates & vertical tube gussets on the rear V. Small tube support added to the lower front tubes. All DOM 1". Drive off stand welded to the rear pedal bracket base plate. Tires, wheels and front fork are for demonstration purposes only. More pics latter if this comes through. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
2" bottom bracket, bearings and axle is 3/4" x 12"....tube support for the bracket is also 2" diameter & 3.75" height with 3/16" wall thickness. The support section was saddle cut to give a tight fit for welding. Supporting base plates were cut from 1/4" steel & welded top & bottom. Extremely solid.
Bearings are a loose press fit for ease of replacement & the interior bracket shell coated with lithium grease. Co-axle is machined for snap rings to prevent bearings from accidentally backing out & the "shell was drilled & tapped for 5/16" bolts to engage the bearing housings to also prevent the bearings from backing out. An aluminum tube was cut to fit over the 3/4" axle, this rests between the 2 axle bearings inside the shell & prevent the bearings from drifting inward. The axle has a key way milled into it for the fixed sprocket & sprocket adapter on the pedal side drive (not shown) axle was drilled and tapped on each end and a square J.A.P taper milled on each end to hold the wide 165 mm pedal arms in place. Details on the freewheel motor drive side latter.

Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the kind words Silverbear, almost been a year since the Simplex showed up on my doorstep...progress has come only reluctantly.

I mentioned Vee Rubber tires a few months ago & I recall Pat over at Sportsman had also ordered a set, but haven't noticed any other mention of them on the forum. I'm impressed with mine & am going with one on the front of the Gator as well, 2.5" x 26" completely fills the Sunlite dual springer. They are double Kevlar belted bead to bead with a third belt down the center. 750lb. per wheel weight rated (no speed rating) & use the "flame tread pattern). They are stiff but mount up easily enough. Weigh in at at bit over 5lb. not lite weights for sure. I'll use the Kenda 3" x 26" on the rear, as Vee rubber doesn't list the wider size.

The "Gator" frame sits much lower than the "Indian Navaho" GT-2, as well as being longer and check out the open space between the tubes. Honda or Briggs V twin should easily fit this frame (without the pedal bracket). Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Butch, hope you took the time to get out the T bucket & enjoy the Fall season a bit. Yes I'm on the mend & anxious to spend some time on bikes.

Fuel tank is a one gallon steel air tank, about 5 lbs. in weight...bit heavy but heck for stout which I wanted because it's welded in place becoming an upper frame stress member. It's 6" x 12" in size with 1/4" bung in each end (may have a use for these). I cut two holes for the stainless, NPT threaded fuel bung. These are mounted angled to the outside of the tank ends & have nice, heavy billet aluminum caps. I also installed a 1/4" NPT fuel bung on the tanks bottom. Tank is not baffled or divided, two caps gave it period balance. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good question. High pressure air tank uses thick 3/16" steel plate tank construction, much more robust than sheet used in gas tanks. Welding this to the frame tubes greatly improves upper frame strength & rigidity. One drawback: can't easily remove it, same as on the Grubee GT-2 frame, another stress frame fuel tank design.
I will also be welding 14ga. steel sheet to both the tank & upper frame tubes to form a box in which to house/conceal the electrics. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm probably the only one who wants one Silver bear, which is reason enough to stay unique.

Pedal sprocket is ready to mount along with the 56 tooth drive sprocket & 3 piece adapter which both came in yesterday from Sportsman. Really quality stuff from Pat, as always. The rear coaster wheel also came in today and I'll mount the 3" Kenda tonight. Hope to mount the rear wheel assembly to the frame tomorrow and possibly the forks and front rolling gear as well for a trial fit.
Rick C.

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Good question. High pressure air tank uses thick 3/16" steel plate tank construction, much more robust than sheet used in gas tanks. Welding this to the frame tubes greatly improves upper frame strength & rigidity. One drawback: can't easily remove it, same as on the Grubee GT-2 frame, another stress frame fuel tank design.
I will also be welding 14ga. steel sheet to both the tank & upper frame tubes to form a box in which to house/conceal the electrics. Rick C.
I have these frames here, it won't need strengthening really unless you just hafta do it. I did change ones tank mount to a strap design and it's easy to do.
Seldom will you see a welded in tank on anything but those grubee things.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Short day cleaned up the frame a bit & cut both vertical tube gussets 1/2" on each side & welded in a 3/16" flat plate & plugged the tubes...should give plenty of chain clearance on both sides. Hope to get a full day in tomorrow working on the Gator, lot of interruptions today.
Hope to have a working pedal bike by this weekend and see how this gator crawls. Rick C.

Attachments