New Project to keep me going.

GoldenMotor.com

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Just picked this 1950 Sportsman up and waiting for warmer weather in the garage. Plenty of rust to work with. Doesn't seem to be missing any major parts, mostly cables. Engine is pretty complete and has compression,kinda. Starting with a lot more than that last Sportsman i did. Both sides of the engine were gone on that one. This one also has the front brake. Not sure what clutch that is though, can't read a brand anywhere. I'm sure you guys will know. Seems like it had Black paint on it originally which i think was a special order back in 50., so i think i'll go with black on this one. I'll start pulling it apart today and head for the sand blaster.
George

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What a great project! Too bad you didn't find it back in October so you'd had all winter to work on it.
Looks like someone started a restoration by the looks of the fenders and fender braces. It's strange how the Whizzer logo survived but the rest of the tank paint rusted away.

Good luck and I suggest you do a complete restoration thread. Many of us would like to see this project through to completion.

Tom

j3000

Jan 5, 2012
Michigan
I think it is wonderful when I bought mine. I told my wife that I wanted a older one. She just rolled her eyes at me.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your Sportsman has a long wheelbase frame like the Ambassador but looks much cooler. I love the kick starter.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Pulled the plug and gave it a few kicks and actually got voltage off the old built in generator so there can't be too much wrong. The guy i bought it from put the two new fenders on it and then gave up and sold it. Today i tore it completely apart so the frame and fork are ready for sandblasting. Found out it was originally a deep red color under all the mess. Rear wheel and sheeve are rusted through in a few places so thats going to be a rough one to find. Still curious on that clutch. Anybody know if an automatic clutch was offered other than the bi-matic 2 speed?
Geo.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Thanks on that. This Sportsman has the original front wheel with the Schwinn internal brake.The brake is stamped Schwinn. Do you know if Whizzer used a standard Schwinn 20" rim or their own rim? This one is rusted so bad you cant see any stamping on it at all, and i need to replace it. Looks like a standard rim for 20 x 2 1/4 tire? S2 S5 S7???. Thanks Geo.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
All the frame parts are sandblasted, filled and primed ready for paint. Need a little better weather for that. The hubs are at the chrome plater right now. Rear spokes are ordered and i found a re-plated rear rim missing the riveted on sheeve. Its out having a new sheeve put on by Ron Klaus. Both brake plates have been sand blasted and re-finished. Rear linings look good as is but the front Schwinn linings are down to the rivets. Need to find a source for those. The automatic clutch has been all gone over, filing and stoning all the parts. Looks pretty good as is. Worst case it will need new weights but their not too bad. Needs the front plate chrome plated. Needs belts and cables but their easy to get. I think the gas tank is shot on the outside but it probably doesn't leak, just too rusty outside to try to re-finish it. Hard to do on the embossed tank. Just plugging along slow on this one. The arthritis kind of dictates my pace.
Geo.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
All the frame parts are sandblasted, filled and primed ready for paint. Need a little better weather for that. The hubs are at the chrome plater right now. Rear spokes are ordered and i found a re-plated rear rim missing the riveted on sheeve. Its out having a new sheeve put on by Ron Klaus. Both brake plates have been sand blasted and re-finished. Rear linings look good as is but the front Schwinn linings are down to the rivets. Need to find a source for those. The automatic clutch has been all gone over, filing and stoning all the parts. Looks pretty good as is. Worst case it will need new weights but their not too bad. Needs the front plate chrome plated. Needs belts and cables but their easy to get. I think the gas tank is shot on the outside but it probably doesn't leak, just too rusty outside to try to re-finish it. Hard to do on the embossed tank. Just plugging along slow on this one. The arthritis kind of dictates my pace.
Geo.
Geo that sounds like alot to me.
Whizzer Works, Tom Lyons, Fred White can help you with the Schwinn brakes or brake linings. Thanks for keeping us posted with your sportsman project.
Looking forward to seeing some pics too. Hope the arthritis eases up.

Ray

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Here,s an update on the 1950 Sportsman project so far. Most of the major stuff is done but still needs things to get it running. Fuel line and controls and cables. Most are easy to get locally here. Still needs the Whizzer logo painted on the tank. My granddaughter does it at school. Should rechrome the exhaust but i'll wait till its running first. Rear rack is badly rusted but i think it can be saved at Courtesy. Brakes are all redone, needs the front control cable. Also missing the taillight assembly. Looking for a cheap one to restore.
I'll try to attach a picture.
Geo.

Attachments

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Need the experts help. The throttle control on this bike, missing the grip, rotates clockwise, away from you, to Pull the throttle cable??. Never saw this on a whizzer throttle?? Is it an early version or is it an early compression release version which would be on the left side of the handlebars and then rotate toward you?? Any help on this??
Geo.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
that bikes cool.......mason man will be able to answer most any of your questions.