'52 Schwinn Hornet D-Frame

GoldenMotor.com

danabike

Jun 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi all. My candidate for an 80cc kit is a 1952 Schwinn D-Frame bike. I'll post the photo as soon as I figure it out on this board. I've had this thing in my garage loft for years with the intent of restoring it at some point. It's something I've done as a hobby for about 25 years, as well as doing motorcycles & scooters/mopeds.

As I've been seeing more of these motor bicycles, I've obviously been intrigued by the legality of being able to use one for daily errands around town, as well as for use at EAA's AirVenture convention in Oshkosh, where I volunteer for 9 days each year. I usually see more than a few Whizzers there, but I just wanted a beater that I wouldn't feel guilty about running on the gravel roads and grassy areas of the huge convention site. I need a working girl.

Anyway, Whizzers are usually mounted on Schwinn cantilever frames, where the bow shape of the frame lends itself to an engine in the area of the bottom bracket, whereas the D-frames have a straight crossbar below the curved one. I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem, but I would like some input if someone's used one of these frames. I'd also like some input on the available 80cc kits. Is one better than the other? Is there a lighting coil on any of them that I could use magneto power to run lights? Thanks in advance.usflg

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Dan, That bike looks like a perfect candidate for an in frame 2 stroke. It has the nice small frame tubing which should be a perfect fit for the radius that is cast in the motor for mounting.
As far as lighting there is a white (6 volt wire) coming off the engine to power lights. I use 12 volt l.e.d.'s for the headlight and taillight. I have a 9 l.e.d. headlight and a 3 l.e.d. tailight that work perfect. If you need any more info. feel free to ask. Someone will have the answer.
I wish I could make it to Oshkosh this year, I have always loved air shows.

John

danabike

Jun 28, 2009
Wisconsin
John:
I take it you run a separate, re-chargeable battery pack to power your lights. 6 volt stuff is hard to find these days. I mounted 2 cat-eye halogen lites to the front and have a 3 led taillight. Both are self contained batteries. I am considering a tail/brake light and turn signal deal I saw on the net somewhere, as well as a horn. I'm trying to equip it the same as any moped or scooter.

To everyone else, I'd like to know if there's a good thread here of engine comparisons with the pros and cons of each. I spent last week re-habbing the bike and now I'm ready to order a kit, but which one? You guys are going to be the best source for that information. Thanks!
Danausflg

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I am actually running 12 volt l.e.d.'s off the engine wire on a couple of my bikes, works really well. I do have a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery on one of my bikes. The lights are a little brighter off the battery, and of course they don't dim at idle. I will attach a picture of the battery set up.

John

Attachments