Clutch Adjustment Tips to Know

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All good information and it agrees with what I've preached. "Don't mess with the flower nut until you have the cable adjustment correct."

The only problem I see is that you've installed the small spring on the clutch cable. It has been proven that it serves no useful purpose except to increase the clutch lever pull force. Get rid of that spring and the clutch will perform just fine and you'll notice a decrease in clutch lever (handlebar) force required to disengage the clutch.
There is also a modification that will make clutch pull significantly less. The end of the bucking bar where it contacts the cam in the clutch actuator cover needs to be sanded and smoothed as well as the contacting surface of the cam. Those areas are subject to high friction forces and the smoother they are the less force it takes to disengage the clutch. (think valve lifters and a camshaft)

Also I do the cable adjustments without the need of a helper. You can simply move the clutch actuator arm inward, removing the free play and marking the cable with a 'Sharpie' pen then tightening the cable stop at the point where you mark the cable. There is, on most arms, a slot where the cable can be slipped into it without removing the stop. Some need to be widened just a little but it makes installing and uninstalling the cable a snap.

Nevertheless, thanks for the vid. Hopefully it will help new builders who are struggling with clutch cable adjustment.

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have needle nosed vice grip pliers that hold the brass fitting nicely while thumb of same hand holds cable against side of pliers - tighten with screw driver in other hand without ever slipping and digging screw driver into hand since it ais way on the pliers.

For my premium builds I have the same length screw in hard, US, steel that has a 3mm allen head for really easy adjustment.

Thunderhead289

Jul 2, 2013
an iowa corn field
wow great info there! I never thought to remove that clutch spring. im a stronger guy so the tension never bothered me and the cables have really never failed for me. though people like my girlfriend have a lot of trouble. great tips you have mentioned! love this forum! I will look into those