single speed bike converts to multi speed?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I havent been to walmart yet so i wanted to ask you guys here but does the single speed bikes have the bolt setup in the rear to change over to a multi gear? i want to swap all my gearing over to the single speed bike because I just want the frame if its possible.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
No, I don't believe so.

There is no reason for manufacturers to make all bicycle frames versatile. When a customer decides he wants a multi-speed bicycle, he simply buys one.

However, a few cruiser-frame type bicycles were built with 7-speeds. If you find one, you can transfer your gear onto it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you use the right kind of derailleur, you can easily mount gears on any bike. Use the one with the deraileur mount tab that slides in the axle slot. You might have to spread the rear tubes a bit for the wider axle, but it's easy with a small scissor jack or similar.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
If you use the right kind of derailleur, you can easily mount gears on any bike. Use the one with the deraileur mount tab that slides in the axle slot. You might have to spread the rear tubes a bit for the wider axle, but it's easy with a small scissor jack or similar.
so i can spread the rear axle to fit the multi gear without any problems with the frame cracking or breaking?

...what about an internally geared hub? ...will one of those fit in a cruiser frame?

...lol, i sure hope so 'cause i'd love to convert my cruiser to a 5 speed so i could add a SBP shift kit.

...here's an example of what i mean although this is an 8 speed.

Sturmey Archer S80 8-Speed Hub 36h, Silver, with Disc Brake

peace, bozo
looks like a good alternative if i cant find one that will accept a multi gear

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Mar 31, 2013
RI
Just make sure you don't choose one with a coaster brake.

With a shift kit, coaster brake doesn't work.
...yeah man, when i'm ready to make the conversion, assuming it's possible, i'd be opting for a disc brake hub, ...i just pulled the trigger on a disc brake setup from VMB for my front wheel, now all i gotta do is learn how to lace it up, lol.

peace, bozo

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Me too.

My project cruiser frame was made for internal hub with v-brake.

I've got the rear disc brake bracket for it, but it'd be more versatile and cheaper with an 11t/34t cassette.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The above motor isn't stock, nor is it treated particularly gently. Insofar as I've seen the primary causes of jackshafted ISH failures are old hubs being "recycled" into a build, maladjustment of the shifter or the more common miss shift and/or "speed shifting" (not backing off the throttle before shifting).

I've hauled cargo, raced others & even accidentally speed shifted... overall I'd have to report that the SA X-RD3 is the most reliable component on that build as it's the second motor it's had, it's on it's fourth freewheel bearing (pedal crank) and I couldn't even tell you how many times I've had to rebuild/repair the shift kit (2nd gen) lol

I build my own jackshaft assemblies now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10xLqTekOw - if it wasn't for the fact that's got an electric hub (hybrid) I'd have happily tried the Sturmey Archer XRK8 8spd disc internal hub, though reports have said the 3sp ones are the strongest *shrug*

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
From what I have heard from others who have had internally geared hubs fail with a shifter, power shifting is the number one cause of failure. Cheap hubs are probably the number two cause. If you've got a quality hub and don't power shift, you should be fine.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Spreading the frame will not hurt it as long as you don't go crazy. Done it many times without problems.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I would stay with a five or six speed freewheel at most myself-

but measure it all first-
theres also a nice little 3 cog freewheel usually on ebay for abot $12 shipped-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-3-Spe...heels_Cogs&hash=item5aefbc8890#ht_1886wt_1141

it might be easiest to try to get a wheel with a freewheel hub already built up- maybe even find some biogus used mountain bike on craigs for less than buying a whole wheel-

if you ran 700c or 27" on the back, it's usually A LOT easier to find a caliper brake for the bike- 700c gives you more tire options, but 27 tires are usually pretty cheap these days

Are you tal;king about a Thruster single fixie? Then probably the freewheel would screw on but you may need to get a longer axle and some spacers and maybe even bend the frame just a bit- that's why the smaller the better- You may have to cut a longer axle back down

but measure carefully- I wouldn't try to get more than an 1/8 " out of it- so measure first!

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The problem with freewheels is that they usually require more wheel dishing and they also usually require thinner chain run at angles for some gears.
They almost always require 130-135MM hubspacing, while a typical coaster-brake cruiser is ~105-110.

An IGH allows for a nice straight chain regardless of gear and they are available with the same hubspacing as coaster-brake hubs.
One almost always ends up with a more stout wheel when not running external gears, from my experience.

My Sturmeys are laced 4-cross with 12g stainless Sapims to Weinmann DH-39 wheels. The finest combination of wheel I have ever experienced so far!

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
I havent been to walmart yet so i wanted to ask you guys here but does the single speed bikes have the bolt setup in the rear to change over to a multi gear? i want to swap all my gearing over to the single speed bike because I just want the frame if its possible.
Shimano makes a derailleur adapter for frames without the mount built in.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
i use 6 speed gears on all my bikes you just have to swap over the cables and deraillers, sometimes they dont exactly fit right and need small modifications but ive had 3 cruisers so far with 6 speed rear wheels it helps a lot with pedaling when you have an extra 25 lbs of motor on the bike