Chain Drive Briggs Question....???

GoldenMotor.com

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Hey all, I was tinkering with my project last night, and I decided I want to do a direct chain drive set up. I want to build this bike in a weeks time, over my spring break, with my great grandfather in his shop. He told me the other day he needs a project to get out of the house and get him working with his hands again, and I figured I'm building this bike anyway, why not take it over there and bust it out quick? Seems like a win-win to me.

Anyhow, I want to do a direct drive just to make it more simple to build. We are using a 5hp Briggs that is tilted forward in the frame, similar to some others I've seen on here.
So my question is, what is the best way to do a setup like this? I was thinking simply offset the engine slightly to line up the sprockets.... But I know someone out there must know from experience the most effective way to achive this.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im a bit of a newbie too, but will try and answer your question. If im wrong im sure ill be corrected. Im presuming you know you will need a clutch of some sort, and being as you want a direct line in drivetrain you will need a centrifugal clutch mounted to the motor. Which will widen your motor (needing more offset of motor). Also with a direct drive you will need a rather large rear sprocket (or alternitively a smaller front sprocket) as you need to reduce the ratio. If im wrong we will both be learning. Hope this helps

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Shorty. Sounds like a fun project. You will need a jackshaft for a number of reasons. First is the gearing. If you go directly from a clutch on your motor to your back wheel, it will be geared way too high unless you use a huge rear sprocket. Chain to frame clearance would be non existent without modifying. The 5hp Briggs in stock form will pull an overall drive ratio of around 7 to 1 quite easily, depending on your weight. Next, the motor offset for direct drive would prohibit any pedal clearance. The motor would be all on the right side of the frame. A jackshaft will allow you to put the motor in a convenient location and also pick sprockets that are more reasonable in size and readily available. Check out my threads and posts and see how I did mine. There's also many other members with quite a lot to contribute. I've been building Briggs powered bikes for over 20 years and all of mine are tilted forward. So lets have some photos of your bike and motor selection and the goodies you're going to use when you gather them up. Good luck.

Most of mine are belt drive with a Whizzer type double pulley jackshaft, but there is a multitude of different ways to go. Use your imagination and build one of a kind.

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Thanks for the advice and the inspiration!!! After trying to fit the motor today I realize what you mean about the offset inhibiting the pedals.... especially with the centrifugal clutch. I also discovered a Briggs wont fit in my frame without modification because the tubes are a lot fatter than a traditional frame (it's a newer Redline frame) so I am going to search around for an older frame.

What is the simplest way to build a jackshaft? I have lots of old power-steering pumps, water pumps, and other car parts to possibly rob bearings and shafts from... I read a post that involved a water pump bearing..

Also, I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again!!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You have to realize all sprockets or pulleys will be on the left side because the engine PTO and the wheel drive are both on the left unless you eliminate the pedal chain drive. So the center pulleys/sprockets will be on the same shaft right next to each other. So when setting up the bike and before you mount the engine, start with the rear wheel drive. Then you can arrange the jackshaft and engine location. Otherwise you get everything installed and just have to redo it when the rear wheel doesn't line up. Water pump bearings are great to work with if the shaft is long enough. You will probable only use one side of the bearing and cut the other shaft off. The jackshaft mount can be welded or clamped to the seat post tube. Welding is better so it doesn't rotate. Making the mount adjustable will better accomodate belt/chain length selection. You can buy pulleys that bolt directly to the rear spokes like a Whizzer, or you can use a moped rear brake hub with a built on sprocket. Just a few ideas among hundreds.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Shorty,
It is hard to beat the vintage cruisers for such a build. The cantilever Schwinn provides a lot of room, even for the 5 hsp Briggs which is a big fellow. Good luck and have fun working with your great grandfather.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
harry76,
I'm wondering if you're planning a similar drive train for your build with the 98cc Villiers? If I can locate the engine I think msrfan's drive setup solves a lot of problems, so I'm going to be watching for your build thread to learn from you as well.
SB

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Thanks for the encouraging words!! For the rear drive I was thinking of using one that I have from one of those two-stroke kits. Possibly with a larger sprocket though... There's a shop here in town that has all kinds of sprockets and clutches and such for go-karts and riding mowers.... I'm gonna head down there after school tomorrow and see if they have a quick and easy solution.

Thanks again!!

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
-msrfan
not to get off topic, but is that your Torino in the backgroung of the red and black bike? If so, do you have a pic of it? Looks pretty cherry from what I can see man!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
-msrfan
not to get off topic, but is that your Torino in the backgroung of the red and black bike? If so, do you have a pic of it? Looks pretty cherry from what I can see man!
It was a pretty clean car. Some damage to the driver side door and rear panel. It's a '69 Fairlane 500, 302 C4 in real good running condition. I have a friend who runs an impound lot and he sold it to me cheap. I bought it to chase parts in while my grandson and I got his IHC Scout going. The kid works the Pamona swap meet and when we were done with the car, some Ausies bought it and shipped it down under. Wish I still had it, it was a bomb to drive around town, but didn't have a use for another vehicle and I doubled my money.

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
That things sweet! My boss has a same year Galaxy sitting in back of the shop. Very kool cars in my opinion. Especially since you don't see a lot of later Fords that aren't Mustangs on the road today.

Hey, I have another question.... What is the best ratio/gear sizes for the primary and secondary drives? I'm looking at buying sprockets tomorrow. Most clutches I believe come with a 10t?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, I can definitely see a 60's car in my future. Well, it depends on your tooth count on the rear sprocket. If your clutch is a 10 and your rear is, say a 44 or so, your jackshaft will probably be something around a 20 and a 12 for an overall drive ratio of around 7.3:1. A 5hp Briggs will pull a 7 or 8 to 1 overall ratio with a good top speed (around 40-45mph).

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
60's cars are definitely very kool. I've always been more into 50s stuff like my Packard, but lately I've been on a mid 60s kick. I'd love to find a '64 Olds for my next project..... but dont even get me started on that hahahahahaha

That gear ratio sounds about perfect for me. Im not lookin to break a land speed record (ok, maybe I am) so 40-45ish sound perfect. Might go with a little smaller rear sprocket... I'm ok with pedaling a little to start off it means faster top speed and/or lower rpms at cruising speed.

Thanks again for the help!!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
if you plan on going that fast on a bicycle you better make sure it can safely go that fast. my brother had a 64 impala with a 425hp 409 4 speed when he went off to vietnam i'd sneek it out! 14yrs old, neff said. now i cruze a 53 belair... 30mpg lots of smiles like our bikes!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Nice Torino.... Did u see the Torino that Jay Leno built with twin turbos. Very cool. I like the shape of Torino that you have more then Jays though.