Kill Switch

GoldenMotor.com

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Well I am at the wiring stage of the build and had a question. After reading the kit instructions and posts from the forum it seems that there are several ways to wire the switch, some even say no switch at all. I have decided not to use the factory switch(looks like junk and I'll probably replace the twist throttle later anyhow). I want to use an on/off toggle to break the curcuit as opposed to grounding out the circuit. I would cap the white wire.
Good idea/Bad idea? Suggestions?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't see any reason you couldn't do that. Take you pick and run either the black or blue wire through your switch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The real advantage to having a kill button that you can reach easily is for emergencies. A toggle will serve the same function but it probably won't be as easy or quick to operate as a simple, normally open push button.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Tom makes a good point. That's the reason the kill switch is so easily accessible on all motorcycles.

Another point of view about easy access to the kill button is stealthy operation, but far be it from me to put any ideas in your head.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
You have a valid point. Needs to be safe. Don't need any "wild rides" while looking for the kill switch and grabbing both brakes! I'll definately consider placement/safety.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i always use the white wire for the kill switch. i know there's been some posts about whether it's good or bad, but on all the bikes i've built i've never had a problem.

two of my bikes have the kill switch mounted in the layback seat post so it looks like i'm scratching my butt when i kill the bike. one has an on/off toggle, and the other is just a momentary button.

i drill a small hole in the bottom bracket, away from any welds or anything that could cause stress or a breakage, then run two wires up to the switch. one is soldered to the white wire and the other goes to the ground, which i ground to the rear fender stay or the kickstand bolt.

there's a coupla pics on this page:

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/one-more-40s-colson-add-fleet-21037-11.html

as far as the safety issue goes, the only time i think i'd have to shut my bike off in a hurry would be if it's on fire. even with a stuck throttle, the brakes would still probably stop it. it's not heavy like a motorcycle, so it'll still slow down pretty quick. you'll also get used to shutting it off, so if you have to sneak up on someone, it's no big deal, as long as it's accessable while riding.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Heck, I don't even use kill switches....my bikes are always running and ready to go as soon as you jump on one. How do the Chinese say....GGG ? Give Gas -n-Go! Yeah, that's the way to go!laff

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My maiden voyage with my first Morini engine motor. A 5.8 hp. I had been in my hast in a little bit of a hurry to get the first test ride in. The throttle cable I had was a little too long. I really needed to cut it back and silver solder a new end on it.

Going down the street the throttle hung up wide open. Man what a rush! The end of the street came up very quickly!! It only did it one time and it never happen again. Not sure what it was.

Wut I am getting at I did have a kill switch installed.;)

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
My maiden voyage with my first Morini engine motor. A 5.8 hp. I had been in my hast in a little bit of a hurry to get the first test ride in. The throttle cable I had was a little too long. I really needed to cut it back and silver solder a new end on it.

Going down the street the throttle hung up wide open. Man what a rush! The end of the street came up very quickly!! It only did it one time and it never happen again. Not sure what it was.

Wut I am getting at I did have a kill switch installed.;)
can i ask you where you got the 5.8hp morini?? thats the size i am looking for, and cant find any in stock anywhere..

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Check out Thaxdax.com. he has a DAX GT50R 4.2HP. Weight is around 6.3 lbs, 11,000rpm, Its a 2 stroke 47cc. It outruns engines twice its size.