build off (spring)

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Barely.... I think you're missing the point of having a "custom bicycle building contest"! If heavily modded frames (& tanks) leaves too few contestants? How many people do you really think we have here with the skills to truely modify a engine???
We're gonna end up with a contest where everyone just bolts on a bunch of Jims parts, a SBP pipe & a CNS carb onto a totally stock Wally World bike.... Thats not much of a contest... I can look at several pages of those bikes right now in the 'pics & vids' pages! :rolleyes:

If we're gonna have a contest of "bike building skills", Lets have a real contest of "bike building skills"!
i like this post the best i feel the same

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
ok rules 1 must have welder and tools srry if you dont truely
must cut frame any way u want as long as its cut
custom tank yes custom tank
custom exaust dont have to be a chamber as long as its not stock if thats not possible a stock one will do only if need be
any motor as long as its chineese ht
paint? everyone likes a nice paint job
any style frame of your choice build the bike any way u want its your bike
everybody supports each other whether they like them or not i like everyone so i'll have no prob
last rule be NICE!!! kinda goes with the previous rule

if you cant do this then sorry i tried lets do it boys

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That quote is out of context BTW - I was primarily referring to the "teamwork" idea being difficult when there were so few potential contestants, the engine mod build off was a compromise I suggested to get enough people for the teams that were wanted at the time.

Chopping/creating frames is a different caliber of build off, evidenced by how (comparatively) few examples we have on the forum - then as now, like I've always said - it's up to you guys.

All that's needed to start a build off is a clear set of parameters, a time limit (however generous), and at least two committed contestants. Once that's sorted and clear (confirm participation & their understanding of rules via PM), just start a new thread in whatever subforum that's appropriate with the rules and contestants outlined clearly in the original post. Staff will ofc moderate as necessary.

If you wish "special consideration" for that thread, like "please no posting unless you're a contestant" or whatever, send a PM off to any staff to make sure it's acceptable and to give us a chance to make suggestions (like making a related thread for non-contestants to post in) and make it clear in the OP (no fair complaining if it's not stated lol) and that's about it ;)

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i just meANT IF WERE GONNA HAVE A BUILDOFF LETS HAVE A BUILDOFF THATS ALL BAW.. SO ANYBODY WHO WANTS IN PM BARELY AWAKE COOL?? srry on the caps

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm an idiot on many levels but I thought the whole idea of HT bikes was inexpensive transport and fun so to me a real contest would be most cost effective build with speed as a factor...just my 2 cents

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm an idiot on many levels but I thought the whole idea of HT bikes was inexpensive transport and fun so to me a real contest would be most cost effective build with speed as a factor...just my 2 cents
To George- Then the next contest can be who can slap a free engine kit on the cheapest thrift store bike they can find, while only using parts found in the trash! laff

To Taco- I love how you're doing all this cutting & welding on the carpet! :D

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
lol venice... yea ima nut i would never mig weld on the carpet i'm using my tig. and i cut on my bench no carpet there
and have a fire ext handy lol thanks for the concern tho

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
This thread and actual build off obviously is only for those whom have access to a lot of money and tools......80% of us here in the forum don't have a snowballs chance in h*ll.....tell me I'm wrong.......whereas it's cool y'all can build these, it makes most of us feel inadequate at best.....and at worst envious....please take the time to consider this....I'd appreciate it if my post wasn't deleted for simply being eloquent in a response...

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This thread and actual build off obviously is only for those whom have access to a lot of money and tools......80% of us here in the forum don't have a snowballs chance in h*ll.....tell me I'm wrong.......whereas it's cool y'all can build these, it makes most of us feel inadequate at best.....and at worst envious....please take the time to consider this....I'd appreciate it if my post wasn't deleted for simply being eloquent in a response...

Thanks,
Salty.shft.
Actually, it doesn't take much money or tools at all!! In the last biker build off contest; I used a beat up grinder & a $70 mig welder to build the bike!

So if you can't afford that, then both you & George_n_texas can both start a "thrift store build off"... :D

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Actually, it doesn't take much money or tools at all!! In the last biker build off contest; I used a beat up grinder & a $70 mig welder to build the bike!

So if you can't afford that, then both you & George_n_texas can both start a "thrift store build off"... :D
hmmm....love your logo Norm...." good bikes aren't cheap and cheap bikes aren't good".......isn't that a contradiction of what you just posted?....also... " thrift store build off "......hmmmm....smug are we Norm ?......

Salty.shft.