Mounting for a Huffy Cranbrook?

GoldenMotor.com

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
I like the one I built. But if you build one you will need to either re-enforce
the fender attachments or remove them completely. Some people have had wrecks
because the front fender broke and got caught in the wheel. I haven't had any problems

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
large tube adapter and my build went just fine I liked the way my cranbrook came out i sold it to a surfer a year ago and he is still riding it. 6,000 miles so far. be sure to replace the factory mounting hardware though it will save you many headaches

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Hey Bradenton!

I've got a Huffy Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. I ditched the fenders and bought a different set. I like the bike. The only criticizm is that the rear mount for the chain guard snapped off after just a little bit of riding. I put a clamp on it and it's fine now. That's the only weld issue that I've had with mine so far. Made my own front mount and just kept adding parts onto the frame. It rides quite smoothly and I love riding it. I'm replacing the wheels with a drum brake up front and a rear with heavier spokes. I'm interested to see how much of a difference that makes in how the bike handles.

Attachments

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
The only problem I had with mine was the fenders,as mentioned above.Other than that,I was very happy.I sold it after I had around 3000 miles on it.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
I used BGF engine kits w/ the U-clamp front mount. The cheap Coaster brake control arm retaining strap broke on mine recently. I cut down the fender length. Used tinsnips. Beefed up the mounting. Hopefully it's a good fix. BGF kit and Cranbrook around $200.00!

mbrady1960

Dec 17, 2009
Wyoming
I had a problem with mounting the rear sprocket onto the hub. I had to remove the wheel bearing cover thats just under the coaster brake arm lever so there would be enough room for the rubber spacer to fit between the sprocket and spokes. This is leaving the bearings a little bit exposed. An option is to buy a sprocket with a larger diameter center hole. I seen one somewhere but now cant find the link.

.trk

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's the one I had. Look closely at the frame welds on the bike you are going to buy. They can be pretty good, or absolutely terrible. My rear fender was made by using the front fender turned around backwards.

Attachments

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
To all vintage Cranbrook owners!!
I need help with measurements for replacement parts
what measurement front fork is needed for a 26" (?70's-80's?) model?? i want to add suspension forks
also what diameter seatpost are you all using? 25mm-ish?
And where can I find the part that loops/clamps around the handle bars? mine slips randomly when tightened and my handlebars fell causing a pretty bad fall last weekend..tore my knee open

my setup

...and the carnage

Help with the above would be nice so I can get back to riding safely.

and on the topic of mounting
where can I find dampening rubber mounts for the motor? wanna reduce any excess vibration I can right now.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Manic mechanic, carries a sprocket adapter for the cranbrook. Mounts to the center of hub, no rubber spacers needed, $35 plus $5 shipping just ordered one for myself. Its the cb 110 adapter which he keeps in stock. They also custom machine adapters to fit any hub on coaster brake models. Waiting for my Cranbrook to be delivered to my store via online order, dark blue with brown seat and grips white fenders. Check out Hambros post, he has more info. I

Last edited:

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Yeah CJ, the new blue Crannie sure looks nice. I kinda like the new chainguard and sheet metal fender braces. Looking at Walmart's ad one has to wonder if there's a nickle's worth of dif 'tween the Cranbrook and Schwinn Delmar. That new Huffy "comfort" bike in white, orange and black would make a looker mb. But dang those fenders!

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
To all vintage Cranbrook owners!!
I need help with measurements for replacement parts
what measurement front fork is needed for a 26" (?70's-80's?) model?? i want to add suspension forks
also what diameter seatpost are you all using? 25mm-ish?
And where can I find the part that loops/clamps around the handle bars? mine slips randomly when tightened and my handlebars fell causing a pretty bad fall last weekend..tore my knee open

my setup

you can cut some pieces fro an old inner tube!!!!! just about any handle bar neck will fit your bike !!! hope this help, good luck with safer rides!!!.flg. there is someone always here too help with all your needs!!!!gas bicycle motors Home

...and the carnage

Help with the above would be nice so I can get back to riding safely.

and on the topic of mounting
where can I find dampening rubber mounts for the motor? wanna reduce any excess vibration I can right now.
you can make them out of a inner tube you might have laying around!!!! just about any fork neck will fit !!!! www.warpspeedbikes.com.wee.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
It's a pretty safe bet that your "vintage" Huffy uses a 1" steerer tube diameter. The length will be in the 5.5" range allowing for hardware on a Springer fork. I was able to use all hardware and bearings from my 2 year old Cranbrook on the $29.95 chrome Springer from bikebuyers.com. I had to cut off about 1/2" which left plenty of threads. My seat post diameter is 1" or abt 25.4 mm.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Hate to hijack your thread but I am right in the middle of a Cranbrook build and I was putting on the tank and the petcock is in the way of the frame:-|| I am so close to finishing this project I can't stand it, has anyone ever had this problem? Please let me know.
Thank for any help.

rwquiring

mbrady1960

Dec 17, 2009
Wyoming
Yeah i didnt like that either. I just moved the tank forward as far as it would go to get the least amount of tilt. At first i had it so the petcock fuel tubing was tight aganst that small frame tube, but after awhile the vibration wore away the tubing till it started to leak. The only solution that i can think of is to bend the part of the tank where the petcock goes in out far enough so the tank can sit level, but i dont know how to do that.(c)

Last edited:

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Maybe try your local hardware store, they might carry a small elbow, or banjo style fitting. I just mounted my tank on Cranny yesterday and did not have that clearance issue. Good luck, and never give up. There are also different petcocks you can order, but I know its hard to wait a week or more for part to arrive. Also might try Farm and Fleet or some lawnmower shop, there all all types and sizes of petcocks.