My First Build Pics (Cranbrook)

GoldenMotor.com

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Ok guys heres the preview: the bike is a new cranbrook bought at wallyworld, engine is a black slant kit from BGF.

It will have the coaster brake, as well as front and rear brakes, speedometer, rear view mirrors on both sides, fenders, rear rack for cargo, brown leather seat, custom expansion chamber, and some nice slick tires if I can find them.

Please comment on whatever you see wrong/like. Im super excited with my first build.

Cost so far:
Cranbrook $99
Slant Engine kit $150 shipped
Expansion was $65 locally
Seat $30
Basket $20
Rear Brakes $15 is that ok?
Fron brakes $12
Mirrors $10 for both
Red Bearing Grease $3
Bed Liner paint $8.99

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see no problems so far. You have a good start and will be rewarded for your efforts. Keep us posted on your progress. By the way, I like your color scheme. That should make a good looking bike.
Tom

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
While I get mu dual pull handle, were should I mount my brake, front or rear?

What grade hardware should I buy to replace my originals?

Can I use regular black engine enamel to touch up some parts of my engine?

Is it a good idea for me to remove the head and clean up/polish the combustion chamber?

It is a slant head 68.5cc, what spark plug do you recommend?

Last edited:

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I would leave the engine alone till its broke in nice and easy. Run a few tanks of gas through it. The little engine will surprise you

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
The cranny is my first build too.

It wouldnt hurt to change out the hardware and get better quality studs. SBP Sells a hardware kit that replaces all the hardware or go to your local ace.

I would defiantly just leave the head on and not worry about polishing the head.

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Update: Picked up a few things for the build.
Bought Some locktite
Bought some new black fuel line
Bought the oldest looking fuel filter I could find
Took the bag of nuts and bolts the kit brought and replaced all the loose hardware with grade 8 allen and locking nuts.
Bought a NGK B7HS Spark Plug (Why is the gap on it smaller than my included plug?)

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Hi Caramanos, my build is a Cranbrook also.
Like what you're doing so far.
A lot of plugs come from the factory gapped to who-knows-what. Check your instruction book, if I remember right the gap should be set to .024 to .030 with a spark plug gauge. You can get one of those coin-shaped thingies at the auto store for around a buck.

Doc

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
I picked the 7 plug because its never colder than 80 degrees here, usually around 90 during the day.

Update:
Made custom air filter housing
Sealed gas tank with kreem
Cant find enough lock nuts in the right size for the rear sprocket

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi, Welcome. If You Use Allen Bolts In Your Motor Mounts, Be Sure The Are Grabing As Many Threads As Possible. But Make Sure They Do Not Bottom Out Before They Are Tight. Studs Are Best For The Mounts. Many Have Trouble With The Mount Studs, Stripping, Breaking. Your Parts Are Looking Good. Good Luck. Ron .cvlt1

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Im done!!! My internet at home is out but im writing from work. Rode it last night finally after having replaced almost all of the kits and bikes hardware with grade 8 and lock nuts. Had to adjust the idle screw a little so it idles good. Chain is solid and didnt come off once (im guessing because we adjusted it for hours before riding). Also sealed the carb with silicone as recommended on the forum.

Pictures will hopefully come soon, got it up to 20mph already. Thanks all, you guys have me addicted.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
Caraman, glad to hear your first build went off without too much of a hitch : ) Did you use the truck bed liner paint for the frame? If so that is a great idea, I might do that to my frame so I don't have to worry about scratches/mud haha. Good job man

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Caraman, glad to hear your first build went off without too much of a hitch : ) Did you use the truck bed liner paint for the frame? If so that is a great idea, I might do that to my frame so I don't have to worry about scratches/mud haha. Good job man
Yup sure did, it has a satin finish and is durable as heck! lol easy to touch up too. 1 can was enough for the entire frame.

PBbikeguy

Mar 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
Caramanos, I have yet to get my motor, hopefully it comes today, but what all hardware did you replace. I'd like to get it ahead of time so it is ready for the install this weekend, or should I just wait until it gets here and go match up whatever hardware pack comes with the motor with new stuff at the hardware? What is the most important pieces to replace, the studs, intake, exhaust or head bolts and side cover hardware? This is my first build so I'd appreciate any help, I have a feeling this motor will be a little different than the 250 in my dirt bike haha. Thanks for any help ...