whats a good welder unit

GoldenMotor.com

sxemike13

Jul 23, 2009
manchester,nh
whats a good welding unit

so im just getting into bike building ive already built one bike by just taking from here and there and bolting and screwing things together but now im looking into doing some real building and was wondering what is a good welding unit to buy im not looking to spend a ton of money and i don't know how to weld but im a good hands on learner so any help would be nice thanx

Last edited:

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
If you dont mind spending 480.00 HOBART makes the handler 140 mig.I have 2 of them .They are 110volt machines.I keep 2 of them hooked to each of my lincoln pipeliner 200 amp stick welders.You can weld stainless,mild steel or aluminum with or without shielding gas.HD

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mig, or wirefeed is probably the easiest to master without lots of practice. You can weld thin material as well as the thicker stuff up to 1/4" with most of the 110 volt machines. I'd shy away from the real cheapo ones seen at the big box and department and auto parts stores. Many of them are made in China or Italy and if you ever need replacement parts they are nearly impossible to get. Spend the few extra dollars and buy a Hobart, Miller or Lincoln welder. You can use the flux core wire and not need a tank but the C-25 (Argon/ CO2) gas makes for beautiful welds without the splatter of the gasless wire.
Tom

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I have a great stick welder. A miller maxstar 150 stl. The only thing is that it is horrible with thin metals. It has a hotstart feature which spikes the amperage on the first strike in an effort to combat sticking. The problem is that this will just blow holes in metal 1/8" or thinner. I had to fight with the welder to just complete some simple welds.

If that feature wasn't added or gave you the option to disable, I would love that welder. Wire feed is the way to go.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I have a Hobart Handler 120. It's a 220v wire feed. Like 2door said you will need tips etc. and if you put out a few extra dollars for a name brand machine the consumables are easy to find. The main difference with a 220v machine is you can weld alot longer before the machine needs to "rest" (duty cycle).