Just purchased DAX rear mount Titan

GoldenMotor.com

chrisnbush

Jan 10, 2008
Richmond, NH
Have had centermounts for 2 years, and enjoyed the heck out of them, but getting tired of fixing / tweaking...

Anyone ever mount one of these on a Kulana Moondog ? Sort of a cheaper 7 speed cruiser, but looks FINE. I am thinking the rear wheel spokes are of a low enough guage, not a spookytooth quality, but hoping good enough to handle the torque.

Anyone out there have experience with Moon dogs - chain drive rear rack mounts ?

Thanks

Chris Bush

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I would get at least a 12 gauge spoke wheel on the rear to be safe. The standard 14 gauge spoke will work but may not hold up for years. If you use the clam shell instead of the rag joint that could make up for the lesser gauge spoke. If it's only casual recreational use it may last, but for everyday use, like taking it to work, weather permitting, I think it's a matter of your body weight. Larger guys need a rear wheel that is a least 12 gauge. My next bike will be the rack mount belt drive for the same reasons you mention about your ride.

chrisnbush

Jan 10, 2008
Richmond, NH
I would get at least a 12 gauge spoke wheel on the rear to be safe. The standard 14 gauge spoke will work but may not hold up for years. If you use the clam shell instead of the rag joint that could make up for the lesser gauge spoke. If it's only casual recreational use it may last, but for everyday use, like taking it to work, weather permitting, I think it's a matter of your body weight. Larger guys need a rear wheel that is a least 12 gauge. My next bike will be the rack mount belt drive for the same reasons you mention about your ride.

Hey, thanks. Guess I will start out with the standard wheel, and go to 12 guage at some point - although I need to find either a source of 12 guage wheels with a 7 speed cassette, or maybe I can use the standard spookytooth rear wheel (this is a good product) and put a 7 speed on it although I am not much of a bike mechanic, at least with multispeeds

:)

cb