Budget BTR Build

GoldenMotor.com

saltine

Mar 4, 2016
california
I've been hoping to build a board track replica for quite a while and am finally trying to get some steam into the project. I'm no stranger to bicycles, I've ridden trials and mountain bikes for a number of years as well as working as a mechanic. I'm naturally also no stranger to dumping obscene amounts of money into bicycles, but right now I can't put quite as much as I'd like to into a bike. (As if I could I'd buy a complete Sportsman 160 in a minute)

I have a few requirements for my build. It absolutely needs to be a drop-loop style Indian tank frame. Even a faux-drop loop look would be fine, I just don't want it looking like a retrofit beach cruiser. Besides that my only requirement is speed and quietness. I'd like to be able to hit at least 35, but ideally around 40-45. It doesn't need to be silent, but I don't want the sound of a straight piped two stroke to alert everybody on the block to my presence. Four stroke would probably be ideal, but I really don't know enough about this. I like the idea of the Honda GC160 but all the necessary equipment to make it suitable for road use seems to put it outside of my budget.

I've done quite a bit of research on my own but would really appreciate anyones suggestions here. I can order bicycle parts at wholesale through QBP, as well as having a lot of parts already laying around in my garage, which should cut the cost down quite a bit. I'm fine with buying used stuff if I can. All said and done my price cap probably tops out at $900-1200. Maybe that's totally unreasonable, maybe I'm going to need to become a better welder. I know the Sportsman frame costs $300, a tank puts that around $450, plus shipping probably puts it at $500 for the frame and tank. I should be able to get most of the non-specialized/motor related parts (Saddle, seatpost/clamp, fork, headset, bars, brakes, wheelset) for between $50-200 based on what I have sitting around, which leaves around $500 to go towards motor equipment.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I've already done all necessary legal research here, and decided to go with 'not caring.' Don't bother about limiting your suggestions to what's 'street legal' here. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
What was the question again? A btr frame is available for a price that will save you a lot of headache and will definitely be safer than the first frame you build.

Bottom line is that a bike with heavy duty enough components for a gc160 or similar is going to cost you at least 1200 in parts alone not including custom frame building but including a stock frame from a reputable manufacturer. I'm taking brakes, wheel builds, engine and transmission. Building and /or modifying a frame is a huge PITA. I say get the sportsman frame and build on that.

Expect to spend at least $300 on wheels. The best deal for a rear sprocket and brake is the treat land moped hub for $55, build a wheel on that. For your front you'll need a quality hydraulic brake if you want to stop safely from 45mph. $50 plus the wheel and a fork that's heavy duty enough if you decide to go with suspension will be another 2-300.

Last edited:

saltine

Mar 4, 2016
california
The plan is to get the Sportsman frame and tank. I need advice for what engine and running gear as the GC160 running gear alone from Sportsman runs nearl $2k.

I've already a mountain bike wheelset which should work pretty well. I plan on running a Hope hydraulic disc up front. (Although I prefer the look of a drum)

Last edited:

saltine

Mar 4, 2016
california
I was just given a complete 50cc China engine kit for free, so all bets are off as far as power choices go.

What's the simplest way going to be to get a drop loop frame and get this up and running in it?

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
It seems to me, if you are going with a standard two stroke, use a straight up bike frame, not a drop loop, and spend your savings on good wheels and a fork you like. BTR, I would guess a Springer or a trussed solid. There are factory BTR tanks for several schwinn frames, and custom tank manufacture is covered in a very comprehensive thread on this forum.