new today

GoldenMotor.com

diamondave

Apr 20, 2015
fl
hi i just joinsd this forum and i already have some questions that someone may help me with i installed a 80cc motor on my beach cruser style bike but the clutch willnot engage?cables are fine its a brand new unit right out of the box any suggestions?? thanks

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Tell you what. I guess we'd best start by making sure we're talking about the same things when we say that the clutch is 'engaged' or 'disengaged'.

Are you saying, for instance, that the rear wheel of the bike won't turn freely even though you have the clutch lever squeezed?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good question because the terms 'engaged' and 'disengaged' are often interchanged.

A clutch that is 'engaged' is mechanically connected to the engine. In other words the rear wheel will not rotate without rotating the engine crankshaft.

A clutch that is 'disengaged' will allow the rear whel to spin free.

The most common problem is a clutch that won't 'disengage' which is usually because the clutch cable isn't adjusted correctly (tight enough). The next most common is stuck clutch friction pads which sometimes happens with a new engine that has sat in storage for a while.

Which is your problem. Stays engaged or will not engage? If it doesn't 'engage' the clutch cable might be too tight.

Tom