Schwinn Corvette 3 speed Bendix hub questions

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yesterday I found another old bike at the dump. Don't know the year as I haven't looked at the serial number on it and it doesn't much matter as I don't anticipate doing a build with it. I'm guessing it is late 50's or early 60's when Schwinn switched over to middleweights from cruisers and was feeling the pressure from increased sales of imported British light weight 3 speed bikes. There had been a 2 speed kick back hub on some of the fat wheeled bikes as an option. Gear change was activated by 'bumping' the coaster brake. I discovered when I got home and unloaded it that this step through has a three speed hub and a Bendix shifter on the handlebar. I don't know if the gears work or not as no doubt it has been sitting in a garage or boat house for some time. The fender chrome is incredible by the way... Wald made such great fenders then. Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of possibilities this coaster brake hub might offer.
Bairdco, or anyone else in the know, how best should I go about greasing and cleaning this hub... do you have any experience with one? If I determine that the hub is in good working order, could a I lace it to a new wheel with 2.125 rims and heavy duty spokes? In other words, is there any real difference in hubs between a middleweight and a heavy weight? If I used it with a shift kit is the Bendix hub strong enough to hold up to being motored? (I'm doubting it, but...). Also, I was wondering if a heavy duty S-2 Schwinn hub (1.175 paperboy) could accept a 2.125 tire?
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
nice find! there's no difference between a middleweight, lightweight, or heavyweight when it comes to hubs. they use the same model hubs on all bikes.

i've never rebuilt a Bendix three speed, but i've done a few 2 speeds. they're a little more complicated, but it's possible. just google it and you'll find exploded views.

the shift kit idea, well, i'd re-build the hub (hopefully the wheel's still straight,) clean up the lever, buy a new cable, whatever you need to get it rolling, and try it out. pedal it around and hammer through the gears and see how it shifts.

at the time they were making those hubs, they were still calling themselves the "Bendix Aviation Corporation," so they built some pretty tough products.

your last question (...if a heavy duty S-2 Schwinn hub (1.175 paperboy) could accept a 2.125 tire?...) do you mean rim? if so, just check the width against a rim you have a 2.125 tire on it. if it's close, it'll fit no problem. it should be pretty obvious. fatter rim, fatter tire...

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
bairdco,
Thanks for your response. I figured you knew a lot more about it than I do. It sounds like it is worth my fooling around with it when I have the time. Its a pretty clean bike, but I already have several step through Schwinns much older and can't see myself doing this one even though it's a nice bike.
I didn't state my last question very clearly. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to cram a 2.125 tire onto a 1.175 rim. Can it be done? Bad idea?
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a lot of rims are marketed as different sizes, but they're the same rim. like i typed above, measure the width of it compared to a 2.125 rim. if it's close, it'll work. if it's like half the size, it probably won't.

schwinn also used some weird size on there 3 speeds. they were 26x1 3/8ths. if that's the case, then a 2.125 won't even go on the rim.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
bairdco,
Thanks for your response. I figured you knew a lot more about it than I do. It sounds like it is worth my fooling around with it when I have the time. Its a pretty clean bike, but I already have several step through Schwinns much older and can't see myself doing this one even though it's a nice bike.
I didn't state my last question very clearly. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to cram a 2.125 tire onto a 1.175 rim. Can it be done? Bad idea?
SB
Say, SB, I wonder if you could post some pics of it? My dad has an old Schwinn Corvette that he's owned since he was little and since it was new. He doesn't get it out much, but I know he'd never part with it. I haven't lived at home in quite a few long years and I only dimly remember that bike. So I wouldn't mind seeing one again, if you can. Thnx. :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
I will treat this hub as if it were made of gold and expect that someday it will be at the core of a rebuilt vintage wheel, with balloon tire rim, heavy spokes and a three speed hub... cool.
Allen,
Your dad's no doubt was a boy's bike and this is a step through, but sure, I can take some pictures and will get them up either this evening or tomorrow. When I put the bike into the back of my Cherokee I didn't look at it very closely figuring something on it would be useful, so didn't notice the three speed hub or shifter until I got home. Treasures from the dump also include a 55 Huffman and a 50 Schwinn Panther (my next build) and of course lots of usable stuff like shorter cranks, handlebars, pedals, etc. I think of the dump as the real Mall of America.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Bairdco,
I will treat this hub as if it were made of gold and expect that someday it will be at the core of a rebuilt vintage wheel, with balloon tire rim, heavy spokes and a three speed hub... cool.
Allen,
Your dad's no doubt was a boy's bike and this is a step through, but sure, I can take some pictures and will get them up either this evening or tomorrow. When I put the bike into the back of my Cherokee I didn't look at it very closely figuring something on it would be useful, so didn't notice the three speed hub or shifter until I got home. Treasures from the dump also include a 55 Huffman and a 50 Schwinn Panther (my next build) and of course lots of usable stuff like shorter cranks, handlebars, pedals, etc. I think of the dump as the real Mall of America.
SB
Go to MB Pictures page 5 Greetings from Germany. Check out the neet jack shaft setup useing one of them hubs.
I am looking for one of them most are without coaster brake I have a lot of them.
WHAT A GREAT FIND

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/greetings-germany-all-mobi-fans-pictures-16699.html
I believe this is the thread you're referring to. I'll study it and see that camlifter has something to say about it, too. I know he did a jackshaft with a three speed hub, I believe.
Thanks, Curtis. I hadn't thought of using the hub as part of a jackshaft setup, but will look into it. Cool. The dump find keeps looking better and better.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Say, SB, I wonder if you could post some pics of it? My dad has an old Schwinn Corvette that he's owned since he was little and since it was new. He doesn't get it out much, but I know he'd never part with it. I haven't lived at home in quite a few long years and I only dimly remember that bike. So I wouldn't mind seeing one again, if you can. Thnx. :)
Allen,
Took me awhile to take the photos and upload them, but here they are. The picture of the shifter is out of focus, but seems pretty heavy duty and the chain connection to the hub seems more robust than what I remember on the English 3 speed bikes. I haven't done anything with this bike yet. The rear wheel is the worst thing on the bike... too bad since that is the part I'm interested in. Don't know yet how easily the rust will clean up. I think tomorrow I'll shoot some penetrating oil into the shifter and hub. Can't hurt.
SB

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Though my Dad's is a red men's bike, and this is a blue women's bike - different vintage too I'd venture to guess, there was still much to appreciate. It has a beauty of a hub. And the details of that era of Schwinns didn't change much, you know an old Schwinn when you see it. Thanks SB. I may go look at some old Corvettes online now.
My dad likely has a great number of years left on this Earth but, if I should hear of him drafting a will, I may mention the subject of him seeing to the continued care of the Corvette, that it not be forgotten, and of who I think would be most dutiful to that end.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Though my Dad's is a red men's bike, and this is a blue women's bike - different vintage too I'd venture to guess, there was still much to appreciate. It has a beauty of a hub. And the details of that era of Schwinns didn't change much, you know an old Schwinn when you see it. Thanks SB. I may go look at some old Corvettes online now.
My dad likely has a great number of years left on this Earth but, if I should hear of him drafting a will, I may mention the subject of him seeing to the continued care of the Corvette, that it not be forgotten, and of who I think would be most dutiful to that end.
Allen,
Yes, it would be good if your dad's Corvette lives on. Sometimes when I work on an old bike from the 50's or even back into the 30's I wonder about the first owner and try to imagine the joy of that long ago Christmas morning or birthday when the bike was brand new and a dream come true. I imagine a young person putting on a coat and going for a ride down a snowy street... a smiling young rider proud and happy. Sometimes we become so accustomed to our parents being old we forget they were children once, just as we were. On the inside I am still seven or twelve or seventeen. What I see in the mirror is a disguise, hiding from the world my true identity as a timeless spirit.
I think your dad might be very pleased that you want to care for his old Corvette.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
There out there you just have to dig. I bought a Clumbia pasthrough at a garage sale last week for $ 20 and last year a mens Schwinn for $30.Both from the early 60's awesmoe shape. and you won't beleve what is going through the crusher at the recycling centers. And like SB at the land fills.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I bet... unfortunately here in the Peoples republic of Massachusetts landfills are UN-P.C. and most re-cycling centers here are town operated, and only the privileged few (town workers and friends) get to pick through the goodies. I work most week-ends so yard sales are out..which leaves me paying a little more.. Oh well at least someone is saving these guys.

Cheers

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thats like it here You can't snoop at the recycling because the iron is up in price and the won't let you in because safty hazerd to bussy. When that its when every one is selling and cleaning and thats when the best old stuff comes out

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think those of us who live in rural areas tend to see old bikes more often than those of you in more populated parts of the country. When I'm in Maryland I never see a vintage bike. Old there is 1990's. Even following Craiglist and putting out ads produces next to nothing and when something does come up it must be made of special semi precious metals if the price is any indication. Some dumps (mine is actually a transfer station with a separate metal pile, but I still call it 'the dump') allow you to pick & grin and others don't. Mine allows it or looks the other way. I go usually twice a week with some excuse for dropping off metal... usually what is left over of a bike I scavenged the time before. So it is just the time and gas money in going for a look see. Top find was a 50 Panther, then a 55 Huffman, but lots of other usable stuff. My ad in the local paper this summer turned up two freebies from the sixties and two old winners... a 42 I think it is, a Schwinn "The World" and a 51? Schwinn step through in good condition. $25.00 for the 42 and $20.00 for the 51. But... what is coming next may be incredible. I got a call from a gentleman a few weeks ago who identified himself by name (a name I recognized from 25 years ago) who said that when he moved to my area he left behind a bike shop in Illinois, but brought with him his inventory of bikes, wheels, tools of the trade, etc. to do as a sideline. He had gotten a good job in this area, but bikes were kind of in his blood. Now he is of retirement age and wants to get back into doing bike work... and he has sheds full of bikes, parts and one with just wheels, also bikes under tarps... lots of bikes, some of them pretty old. I couldn't believe it, yes, like bikes falling out of the sky! I identified myself, we caught up on old times a bit and made a viewing date. I had never even known this guy was into bikes. Of course, at that time I wasn't and would not have noticed. Fasteddy was visiting at that time and we met Scott in town. He was in his backyard, which indeed had a number of sheds... we peeked inside and sure enough there was a nicely outfitted bike shop and sheds of bike stuff, frames hanging, etc. I didn't have the time or good light to know what I was seeing, but I figured there were probably some treasures in there. But the real deal was under the tarps which spread for maybe fifty feet long by two bikes deep in width. It seems that a mutual Indian friend who is a welder and searches for metal treasures at the dump regularly started bringing Scot bicycles as soon as it was announced that the old dump (a landfill) would be closing. So for a good period of time bikes kept appearing in Scot's backyard until he finally asked that it stop as there was no more room to put them anywhere. Amazing. Steve and I looked out at the tarps wondering what might be under there... Scot didn't have much time that day and lifted up two of the corners for a peak and I could see a couple of old step through cruisers from the fifties or earlier, Schwinns I think, in pretty good condition. Of course I wanted to tear off the tarps and see the Elgin Bluebird or Schwinn Motorbike hiding in the dark, but that would come another day. We renewed our friendship and Scot seemed interested in our talk of motorized bikes and sidecars although he was a pedal bike guy by experience. He said he needs to go through everything and get rid of a bunch of stuff to make room. He had hip surgery and doesn't get around so well anymore and could use some help. I of course volunteered my services and it sounds like in exchange for helping him go through bikes I will get some old timers for free. He had a death in the family and is now working part time at another job, so I'm waiting. I called a few days ago to let him know when I'll be leaving for the east coast and he still want me to help him. I will take my camera to record the great unveiling. It will no doubt be mostly bikes I have no interest in... ones with skinny tires and derailleurs, but I'm hoping for a cruiser with a straight bar frame like an old Elgin or Rollfast, maybe a Colson. Who knows what is under those tarps. Please let there be a couple of monarch springer forks in there... stay tuned to this station for a report of breaking news. Ha!
SB