New BTR build

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I am digging that paint job! I am a little nervous...I am in the process of painting mine now. Have two coats of primer on. Will sand when I get home. Make sure everything is looking good and hopefully have two coats of color on it this weekend. I'm starting to think maybe I should have just had it powder coated....but, with primer, paint, and clear I only have just under $30 bucks invested....had one can of primer at work already.

Bike looks awesome!!

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks Mike!! Yea I did contemplate painting it myself too. With me though, past paint jobs have either come out super great or uber levels of terrible.

There never seems to be a consistent level of decent when it comes to me and paint. That and I simply was too anxious to get it rolling so that in itself would of spelled doom for even a decent paint job.

That is why I had this frame powder coated.

How's yours coming along? Do you have a link to it's build?

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Well after getting some mileage on the bike some additional tweaking was required.

First off the seat was horrible in terms of comfort and although it looked real good, it had to go. So I made my own bobber style motorcycle seat. The making on it is in another thread on this forum.

The flame pattern tires were all over he road once I was moving beyond 20 mph so I got a new wider set with better tread pattern and they work much better.

Then I added and tweaked the following.

Removed the engine governor.
Got a better intake and carb combo.
Long tube exhaust header.
Added battery box
Made a metal number plate.
Painted black rear wheel sheeve

All being said and done it is such a fun bike to ride now.

Anyway here are some final glamor shots of it the way it sits now.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I just noticed that you have a "low-powered scooter tag". I've often thought about getting one in the past, but that was as far as it got. I know there like $7-8 bucks and last for a few years... please bring me up to speed I'd like to get one! Thanks

What did you need to get the tag, if anything?

What DMV office did you go to to get yours?

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
It’s actually quite simple.
First thing to note though is that in order to obtain a low power scooter registration in Colorado you must have proof of liability insurance before doing so.

So first I got an online Low Power Scooter liability insurance plan for about $78.00 year at Progressive. I called my scooter a Phantom GT-2A because that is what the frame is called and I used the number that was stamped on the crank tube as the vin #. Simply print out the proof of insurance after payment.

Then go online to get a low power scooter registration form to fill out. Print it out and fill it out to the best of your ability but make sure the relevant information matches that of your insurance policy.

Write up a bill of sale. I stated that this scooter (never refer to it as a bicycle) was sold to me for X amount in non-running condition as a restoration project. I simply signed it as the buyer and then had someone else sign it as the seller.
Because there is no actual title with these things this is all just a formality for the state to keep their documentation in line.

Mail in the completed scooter registration, proof of liability insurance, bill of sale and a check for $8.65 to the address on registration form. Your registration will be good for three years.

I got my sticker with proof of registration within 2 weeks in the mail. Now I keep it and proof of insurance with me every time I’m out riding.

Note, never call it a bicycle or bike because the state will deny registration because you cannot register a motorized bike in the state of Colorado.

I had a police officer follow me to a Starbucks just to check it out one day. I think because he saw the registration tag on the bike he never bothered to ask for anything else.

The only issue you may have is that you have pedals also. I don’t and by definition a scooter in Colorado is only powered by a motor so even though you could get the low power scooter tag and registration, a police officer may question it if he sees pedals. I'm not sure though.

I removed them because I do not need them and it keeps more in line with the registration type.

Anyway, hope that helps.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks for the quick reply.

I wasn't aware that it could all be done online. But like I mentioned I only thought about it; never researched or bothered any further. I've had to get LPS tags for previous scooters and mopeds, but those usually have a title and I just went into the dmv. Should be fairly easy then!!! With scooters and mopeds being classified in the same class shouldn't be an issue with the pedals. I could see if I had to take it to the state patrol for inspection, but not in this case if everything will be done online/ mail. I think that I'll do that sometime this week.

The cop was probably just curious. I have had several encounters with police over the years and I have never received a ticket. Most of the time they just wanted to see what the h3ll that thing is; I always offer them to ride the bike. They always say no and go on about their business. What can you do ??

Your bike is looking better every time I see it, keep up the good work. We'll have to ride sometime. If not this season then definitely next riding season.

Take care!