Anti-theft

GoldenMotor.com

Matty Skacore

May 1, 2014
Bakersfield, Ca
So the other night I rode my MotorBike to 7/11 and I locked it up by close to the window, soon after while at the ATM I decide to look back at my bike. There is a friggin dude eyeballing my bike! I mean he had his dirty hands all on it, so I go outside and call him over, to no surprise he hightails it. So this got me thinking what are some good anti-theft procedures? I use a lock but I feel that is not enough to stop a thief. Does anyone know of any other methods?

Thanks ahead!:Dzpt

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Good locks (more than one) keep the honest at bay. Same principle as putting a "club" device on the steering wheel of a car.. it doesn't say "Don't steal me," it says "My neighbour's car is easier to steal." Lock the back wheel to the frame with one, front wheel to the frame and something solid with the other. I usually have people doing the Q&A routine when I'm unlocking so I don't notice the extra time needed then.

Close the fuel valve(s), and close the choke when you leave it. Most folks know very little about our bikes, so don't immediately see the choke and the petcock. If the engine is warmed up it won't start or run well with the choke closed, and if they do get it going it will be such a pain in the..neck choked up that they'll run out of fuel in the float bowl before they get too far. Also, leave the clutch engaged so the back wheel won't turn freely and it's another step they need to figure out or they'll be carrying it.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Got a place to stash an old phone? I've never tried it but I've heard you can use one as a tracking device.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I've fitted a kill switch to the underside to my seat that once on completely disables my motor via the kill switch ,I also pull the choke up full so there's no chance my motor can be started in a flash ,and yes it has been proven to work , some of the members here had a crazy but good idea of a CDI bypass directly to the bike frame so if someone tries to steal it they get a boot ,great idea but I suppose as the saying goes prevention is better than a cure.

I use a heavy duty motorbike cable that can only be cut with an angle grinder so for someone to steal it they would have to be meddling with the cruiser for a fair bit of time giving me the chance to catch them .

You can also get bike alarms that come with a key ring , once activated they make a very loud siren if vibration is detected and also alert you to possible threat with a key ring that has a receivable distance of a few hundred feet as well some models come with an online tracking ability ,the downside to these units is they can be smashed and rendered useless but hopefully one would be able to return to their bike before this could occur.

The issue I have is idiots sitting on my bike or knocking my bike over ,I've had it happen several times where I've locked her up and stood her up so she can't fall ,gone into the shop ,come out and she is on her side or some idiot is sitting on her and doing the typical throttle twist with accompanying motorbike noises sigh

I usually start with can I help you ,some are apologetic but others get a tad abusive and start with what's your problem ( usually the drunks) that's where I come back with get off my bike or I'll swing my helmet up side of your head ,they are usually very compliant

Regards Henshooter

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Sorry to hijack but I'm a new MB owner and never use my choke. In fact if I do, it will kill the engine....Is that a sign that something is not set up properly? I have no issues getting it started or going.
Thanks.
Edit...I just realized that I'm not sure which way is open/closed. When I pull the switch up it dies.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You could get a keyed kill switch. I use both keyed cable and U locks. Lock it to heavy or fixed objects when possible. Use both locks. If you have a quick release front wheel take it with you if you can. Lock it up in open areas. A thief may know about a hidden place; then could work on the locks without being seen. Try to lock it up in a place where you can keep an eye on it. Limit the time to little as possible you must leave your bike unattended. Store your bike in your house or closed garage. Don't leave it locked up on your porch or yard. A thief may know the residents schedule.

Even with the best of precautions it could still be stolen. So know your serial number and take pictures of your bike. This way if it were found or seen somewhere you'll have evidence to recover your bike.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Sorry to hijack but I'm a new MB owner and never use my choke. In fact if I do, it will kill the engine....Is that a sign that something is not set up properly? I have no issues getting it started or going.
Thanks.
Edit...I just realized that I'm not sure which way is open/closed. When I pull the switch up it dies.
If the lever is up, the choke is on/closed, down is open. I've found that I rarely need to close the choke to start with a stock 'carb of C'Thulu' unless is't been a while and it's a cool morning. On the 'Speed NT' (square cover) carb I usually do have to start it with the choke closed, but only the first start of the day.

(pics from an old thread)

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I made my own battery box with a key to lock out the ignition. No key, no start.

I also made a clutch cable pulley and I can slip the cable off the pulley, preventing the back wheel from turning, so the would be thief can't pedal or walk off with my bike. Squeezing the clutch handle at that point does nothing.

A good cable & lock helps, but why make it any easy for them?

I've also been considering these products.

Siren lock to deter thieves.
http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Anti-Theft-Security-Bicycle-Padlock/dp/B00EOGQY2O#productDetails

GPS tracker for the thief who will not be detered. They offer 3 models: one that hides in the handlebar headstem, one for the seat post, and one as a rear tail light. What is real nice about this is you can download an app for your phone to map where it is, where it has been, track your mileage, & top speed.
http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

My bike is also legally registered & tagged, mostly so cops won't jack with me anymore, but also for identification in the event it is stolen.