How comfortable is your 'shop' ?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I pretty much shade tree it as well, except without the tree part. some shade on the side of my house for about half the day sometimes. All my work is done either on the sidewalk in front of my house, or on the side of it. All my tools and spare parts are in the basement as well as an old computer chair, so when there is work to be done I go grab whatever I need and set to work. I try to avoid too much in the heat, but sometimes can't be helped.
Come on down to Texas and we'll get out in the 105 heat in the shade.......
Getting rain tonight and much cooler.......... really enjoying it , to bad im at work until 6am
Outside work is a bit rough around here this time of year........

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Pretty darn comfortable . well lets see its got a workbench rollway toolbox a desk a stove and sink fridgerator a rock away the side table a recliner of bed a big screen TV a fan another bike for gas bike because it tools food and I live in it .oh and I forgot the trailer .its my motorized bicycle Kave. Hur Hur.And when Cindy comes on the weekends it duals as my "love palace".

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Pretty darn comfortable . well lets see its got a workbench rollway toolbox a desk a stove and sink fridgerator a rock away the side table a recliner of bed a big screen TV a fan another bike for gas bike because it tools food and I live in it .oh and I forgot the trailer .its my motorized bicycle Kave. Hur Hur.And when Cindy comes on the weekends it duals as my "love palace".
Dang-it..... what more could a man want........!

If you had a pool table and an indoor gun range it would be totaly complete.....lol!dance1

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It is amazing how much stuff accumulates when you build a lot of bikes.
My poor old plywood work bench has taken a lot of abuse considering I have had it for like 10 years and it was scrap to begin with.

Anyway buddy Cole, a well known pack rat that has worked some here and knew the bench condition, found this for free and brought it by.

Nice 3/4" 10' counter, nice meaning sturdy and hard surface not looks ;-}

Now I just have to get the motivation to move everything, and I mean everything including all the shelves and that bookcase, to another area and then after getting the bench in rebuild storage around it again.

On the bright side I'll most likely find some lost treasures and can get things organized again.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah, I hear you KC... my workbench is much the same... "I know I've got that part here somehwere..... Hey, I was looking for this last month...."

A couple of shots of my workbench/garage as it is now (the last pic shows how my garage looked before the landlord fixed the roof):

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My God Easy, That shop is just too purty to work in. I'd be afear'd of gettin it durty.
And next time ya need something big welded, try a muffler shop. Cheaper than pipelyne I'm sure. Just get it all worked out before you take it in and TRY to hit em up when they are not too busy. I get small to medium stuff welded up for $10. bigger stuff for $20 at a Hispanic ran muffler shop on Phalen in San Jose. Nicer people ya couldn't meet.
fatdaddy.
I've raced for Pipelyne during the Goped days and any projects I work on is done there. I have my own work space and have access to all his machines. Plus I get to hang out with Dean and sneak a free lunch out of him. ;)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Looks like you got it stocked pretty full CT, nice ;-}
There's a lot of 'junk' but at least it's all vaguely-sorted.. I can find most things anyway. Eventually. ;) Thank whomever for open rafters, though. If I couldn't hang the rims and tires from above I'd be up to my eyes in them.

Went out for a roll of ordinary solder today, of course there wasn't any in stock. However, a hose reel with 50' of 300 psi rated 3/8" air hose happened to be on sale (at $20, I couldn't say no) (^). Spent a little time making space for it on the wall above the compressor and putting it in. Now I have 100' of air hose neatly rolled up and no longer trapping ankles. Of course, now my 'security system' is compromised. ;)

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Clutter Clutter Clutter..........!

one of 5 rooms in a old house that is on my property, I currently use it as workshop/storage, this is second smallest room that I keep some of my bikes in, tools here and in two other rooms including Smithy lathe/Milling machine combo in one that is a bit less cluttered but still a pain to get around in and work.

new shop Im building will be so nice, gonna have many shelves, a small loft and big nice work bench........ then I can get down to some serious bike work I'm hoping, gonna have good wood heater and at least two a/c units so I can work year around if I want and not burn up in the hot summer or freeze in the winter...LOL!

gonna be so nice compared to what I have now.

Attachments

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I know the vast majority of people here just build a bike or two and work on maintaining and improving them in whatever spot they can find when they need to.

When I first started that was my back patio.
In short a concrete slap with a roof that faced West, and that is not the direction you want to be facing in the afternoon in Phoenix in summer.

I'm sure some of you have way worse conditions so share how 'uncomfortable' your work space is with pics if you can.

---

Then there are some of us with shops we spend a great deal of time in.

I figure I spend 14 hours a weekday and 5 on weekend days average in mine, with those hours and my penchant to walk around bare foot and wanting to sit comfortably when I dumped that last house I looked for a place to rent that was all about the shop space.

I know, how cool is that?
Rent a place to live based on the shop space hehehe ;-}

When my landlord showed it to me I told him my plan and that the brand new thick padded white carpet would be utterly destroyed and need replacing when I moved out, he was OK with that!
So here you have it after a year and half of use.

First and most important is the 'work bay'.
(NOTE: clicking an image will bring up a huge version of the pic)

That wood rack is really cool, a shopmate built it.
It mounts to the floor on a swivel at the front so I can align the back tire entry point any direction I want yet the rack itself don't move around while I work on it.
Note the oscillating fan that blows air back and forth to each chair.

Anyway a couple padded chairs and if I have to sit on the floor no problem, it may be dirty but it's still comfortable ;-}

Of course I needed parts storage room and a work bench.
You can't see it very well from this shot from my desk chair but I have a bunch of shelves filled with most anything I need and a big work surface with the tools I need.

Ya, that is Elvira, she has been watching over me for a couple of decades now.

I have some pretty competent helpers now, their hours vary as does the work so I spend most of my shop time sitting at my desk doing office work and playing around on the net like now so that had to be the most comfortable.

It looks pretty crappy...

Actually the whole shop looks crappy but I took function over flare for the whole shop and got what I wanted.

Starting from the left that is my helmet, glasses and gloves on the filing cabinet right next to where the giant sliding glass door opens to put on and take off when I go ride.
When it's that easy I never forget.

I won't go into my computer but I have owned and operated my own computer biz since 1982 so suffice it to say it rocks.
The shelf above the desk has miscellaneous things I like close at hand and remote a controlled audio system with and Aux in to play my streaming Pandora commercial free Internet customized music direct from the PC.

In the middle is my long time favorite rolling swivel office chair with a second set of pads and what looks something from the '90's, a real land line, paper calender, and analog clock.
You have to be sitting in my chair to appreciate that.

On the right is an industrial table and chair.
That black box is a mini frig with the cold things I like to keep close at hand and above it is a remote controlled AC unit.

---

Ya, I'm spoiled but I build from home for a living.
What conditions have you set up for your own work areas?
Don't be surprised if I stop by and see you a little on this year. I do like the desert.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
At least you guys have roofs over your heads! My shop is my overly sunny and sweltering back porch with picnic table. lol Parts and stuff get stored in my room in various boxes and my tool box.
Granted, I'm 18 and only have one bike, so I guess it comes with the territory, eh? ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
At least you guys have roofs over your heads! My shop is my overly sunny and sweltering back porch with picnic table. lol Parts and stuff get stored in my room in various boxes and my tool box.
Granted, I'm 18 and only have one bike, so I guess it comes with the territory, eh? ;)
Hey, thay aint nothing wrong with that D-Dude94, done lots of that myself and still do it, if we lived in a more moderate climate it wouldnt be as bad this time of year but then again we can work outside in the winter months without it being to bad most of the time too so I guess we have it pretty good actually.

Does my heart good to see an 18 year old diving into doing something with his hands and mind instead of rap crap and video games 24/7 like so many do now days, some day when all this computer technology comes crashing down people better know how to do more than just push a button or flip a switch.

Hang in there and work hard and stay focused on the important things in life and one day you can have a great workshop to work out of and hopefully have a chance to pass this great hobby down to others.

Map :bike2:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Hey, thay aint nothing wrong with that D-Dude94, done lots of that myself and still do it, if we lived in a more moderate climate it wouldnt be as bad this time of year but then again we can work outside in the winter months without it being to bad most of the time too so I guess we have it pretty good actually.

Does my heart good to see an 18 year old diving into doing something with his hands and mind instead of rap crap and video games 24/7 like so many do now days, some day when all this computer technology comes crashing down people better know how to do more than just push a button or flip a switch.

Hang in there and work hard and stay focused on the important things in life and one day you can have a great workshop to work out of and hopefully have a chance to pass this great hobby down to others.

Map :bike2:
Yeah. I play video games too, but I also work outside in the yard a LOT. lol Work on my daily driver occasionally, work on my project truck when funds allow, and work on my other bikes as well. Too many hobbies! lol

And I dunno where you live, but in East Texas it can get pretty cold during the winter! lol

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
My shop / garage used to be quite a disaster but its improved significantly over the past few months. My mom built me / herself this awesome workbench which has really helped things out. Here are her original plans:

The longer and skinnier side is mine while she uses the shorter and wider side for woodworking.

parts organization...

its a super awesome shop to work in but could use a few more stools (im looking on the list of craig) It pretty much stays at a steady 66° F year round according to my motorized bicycle temp gauge.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice shop, I really like 3 triple bike racks too.
What is that huge metal looking thing to the left of the car?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
At least you guys have roofs over your heads! My shop is my overly sunny and sweltering back porch with picnic table.
I guess it comes with the territory, eh? ;)
Pretty much until you get your own territory, or is that yours?
At 18 these days it's 50/50 you still live with the folks.

I like working outdoors for some things like engine prep when the weather is nice which is over half the year, just not right now however.
I also like to have the door open for the fresh air when I'd rather be indoors and I have just the door for it, an 8' wide sliding glass door.

This shot is from my work bench.

That big red blog out back behind the BBQ used to be the umbrella for that round table on the far left, I didn't put it down last night and a storm snapped it in two which is a real bummer in summer.

Anyway if you can't find or make room indoors at least you have pretty good weather and a picnic table to work on and that sure beats just using the driveway ;-}

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Pretty much until you get your own territory, or is that yours?
At 18 these days it's 50/50 you still live with the folks.
Still live with my folks, yep. We would have never had any work area anyway as my mom would have cluttered it up! I can't even have a shelf for my autocare stuff without my mom complaining about how much space it takes up. :mad: