Mexico

GoldenMotor.com

carroll6

May 21, 2013
Kansas City
Hi. I want to get a motorized bike kit. Take it down to Mexico. Buy a bike used or at Wally mart. Install the kit. FIRST I will have the engine ported, head milled, 415 chain. maybe even the Jaguar CDI ignition. The JNM CC X-port exhaust port.

The area I am thinking of is Yucatan, which is very hot and humid.

Flaming Horse kits are 12 X 12 X 8 at 25lbs.

Well.. wonder if it will work out? Wonder if the bike would be legal to ride in Mexico. I ASSUME they would have the 2 cycle oil that I would need, and fuel that will burn in the 2 cycle engine. I searched the forums, but could find no info, not on the Google search either.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
motorized bicycles are legal in Mexico. I've ridden in Mexico since i go there a lot to visit family. You might have trouble bringing your motorized bicycle back across the border if you have no paper work to prove ownership. It all depends on the border guard, some will let you pass no questions ask and others will give you a hard time.

Yes, mexico has 2-stroke oil but not everyplace stocks it.

Just a bit of advice, Riding a motorized bicycle in Mexico is nothing like riding one in the states. People drive way different in Mexico if you let your guard down for a second it could really cost you. My buddy Alex got run over by a Red Cross ambulance, apparently the red lights mean move or I'll run you over lol. Kill one person to go save another..yeah thats good thinking!

Last edited:

carroll6

May 21, 2013
Kansas City
motorized bicycles our legal in Mexico. I've ridden in Mexico since i go there a lot to visit family. You might have trouble bringing your motorized bicycle back across the border if you have no paper work to prove ownership. It all depends on the border guard, some will let you pass no questions ask and others will give you a hard time.

Yes, mexico has 2-stroke oil but not everyplace stocks it.

Just a bit of advice, Riding a motorized bicycle in Mexico is nothing like riding one in the states. People drive way different in Mexico if you let your guard down for a second it could really cost you. My buddy Alex got run over by a Red Cross ambulance, apparently the red lights mean move or I'll run you over lol. Kill one person to go save another..yeah thats good thinking!
Gracias Amigo. I just want it to putput around a small town, like Los Algodones. That is where I first saw one of these bikes, actually. I do not mind having just the normal bicycle, but I need something for the hills, and to extend my range. Also, I wonder if Pemex fuel has Ethanol in it..that is my big question. I have considered many places in Mexico. Chetumal, for instance, and want to stay for a extended period of time. Even Rocky Point might be a nice change from around here.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
WOW DAVE, I was devastated when grandma got run over by a reindeer, but REDCROSS ambulance that's unbelievable good grief .LOL

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The most troublefree way to putt putt around town is friction drive. Find a used system. On the cheap system, you might have to fiddle with it constantly.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I edited my post.

China girls are the cheapest to begin with, then nickel and dime you with constant fiddling.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
That's not true either . If dude does his set up correctly , after break-in and tuning it should nothing more than " Routine Maintenance". If you are having to more than "Routine Maintenance" something ELES wrong with what your doing. You mit want to look at it this.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Some guys really understand tuning, others have trouble, and these engines can also be finnicky. I understand a lot about 2 stroke engines, how they work, and the modifications such as boost porting and reed valves. HOWEVER, I am NOT the best tuner, and I can admit that. There is also the issue of these engines all being different, and what works for one engine may not work for another (in regards to tuning, the point being that each engine requires individual tuning). The main issue with the ht engines though, is the unreliability of the parts. The upgrade parts are usually reliable, but not everyone can afford them. The stock parts are not always reliable. I have replaced every single component of my kit, including the engine, except for the sprocket and the clutch lever. And I don't ride my bikes as hard as some of these other guys do. I ended up going 4 stroke, and although my bike has required some fiddling and repairing, I haven't spent a ton on it since finishing it, and its never left me stranded yet in almost 3 months now. It starts on the first or second pull every time. The main reasons I feel its required anything more than routine maintenance at all is two main factors. One is the fact that I got the engine and some of the parts slightly used, and the other is my own personal error at times, due to the fact that this was my first non-kit build. But as long as you're not looking to go cheap or limited financially, I would recommend a 4 stroke kit over an ht. Just my personal feelings on the matter. Some guys love their 2 strokes, and I did too for awhile. They are fun, easy to put together, and cheap to start out. But I probably spent 3 times as much on my 2 stroke bikes as I did to build my 98cc cruiser. I'm never going back to ht's again.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Gracias Amigo. I just want it to putput around a small town, like Los Algodones. That is where I first saw one of these bikes, actually. I do not mind having just the normal bicycle, but I need something for the hills, and to extend my range. Also, I wonder if Pemex fuel has Ethanol in it..that is my big question. I have considered many places in Mexico. Chetumal, for instance, and want to stay for a extended period of time. Even Rocky Point might be a nice change from around here.
I would think anywhere in Mexico would be a nicer than nice change from anywhere in the flatlands of Kansas? The gas and 2-stroke oil in Mex will be more than fine for the cheap china girl powered bike you have in mind ;)

Say "hi" to Dorothy and toto for me! I'm off to see the Whizzer......

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"Some guys really understand tuning, others have trouble, and these engines can also be finicky. I understand a lot about 2 stroke engines, how they work, and the modifications such as boost porting and reed valves. HOWEVER, I am NOT the best tuner, and I can admit that. There is also the issue of these engines all being different, and what works for one engine may not work for another (in regards to tuning, the point being that each engine requires individual tuning)."

BBB has it exactly right here. The china girl is a WONDERFUL motor if you have a feel for two-strokes. As long as your kit is properly tuned and operated, it is stone reliable and simple as a brick.
I have lost track of how many miles I have on My Pig, and I have not had a single part of the engine break yet.
Home made expansion chamber pipe, HD #40 chain, and a 36tooth sprocket have given me well over 10k trouble and failure free miles.
I'm just about needing another new sprocket and probably (finally) a new chain. (This is the third sprocket I've used up)
Oh wait, I did buy a new plug too, two or three years ago...

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Yep, that about the way I se it as well. You don't have the BEST tuner good enough bring reliability and longevity as long as your set is right. And when the $$$$ starts rolling soon I'm gona build with DAX GP50 9 HP hopefully full suspension .

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I MAY someday build (or to be quite honest, buy one pre-built from sportsman) a ktm50, though the power sort of scares me. But that will be a ways down the road, and it will have to have either a front disc or front and rear moped drums (prefer the look of drums, old school and all that). I have nothing against two strokes in general, I just couldn't quite get the hang of the ht's I guess.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Actually just saw the newest sportsman model, the 200, comes with a honda gx engine. If I ever do buy a pre-built, it will most likely be that.

carroll6

May 21, 2013
Kansas City
What about taking the kit off, and putting it on another bike? Packing the kit up, then taking it to your next destination, and putting it on another bike. I suppose it wouldn't be that hard.

From what little I can tell, these kits are more expensive in Mexico.