Hello from Central Florida!

GoldenMotor.com

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I've been wanting to build a motorbike for a while now. I ride Harleys and will probably be buying a big dualsport in the next few months. Thats all fun but I want to spend some time with the kids actually BUILDING something that doesnt' cost a fortune. Something we can ALL have fun with.

I'm headed off to Walmart to pick up a Genisis Astra. That will be the base of our first build. This weekend I'm following up on some craigslist ads for parts and motors. Depending on how that goes, I will order whatever else I need on Monday. My goal is a 4 stroke with a shift kit that is built right and reliable.

Being a knifemaker, I have a well equiped machine shop. I have friends that build motorcyle, chopper and race bike parts here so in that respect, I should be all set. I really don't want another exepensive Harley project, I want something we can work on and ride in a matter of days, not years!!! And maybe build another without having to sell the first one :)

I've been enjoying my lurking, reading and education here. Thanks for a great source of knowledge!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined our little community.
It sounds like you have all the necessary skills to build the bike you want. You should have no problems but, if you run into questions we're all here to assist in any way we can. Post some photos of your progress and good luck. Just a word of caution. Motorized bicycles are addictive. After you've built one, you'll want another, and another and..... :)
Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined our little community.
It sounds like you have all the necessary skills to build the bike you want. You should have no problems but, if you run into questions we're all here to assist in any way we can. Post some photos of your progress and good luck. Just a word of caution. Motorized bicycles are addictive. After you've built one, you'll want another, and another and..... :)
Have fun, ride safe.

Tom
Thanks Tom!

I'm actually planning on building more than one right from the start. If not for me, I will be helping the kids with theirs. My GF is adventurous too so I'm sure she'll be wanting one. What I like about them is what I like about building motorcycles, anything is possible. ..... Just a lot less $$$. I will post pics as soon as I get all my initial components together. Got the bike, that's a start!!

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
the astra sounds like a good first project. Believe it or not the dark sister of your build bike "The evil Onyx" http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44486&highlight=onyx
is the the bike that got my attention..

I have this build starting here. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45527
involves the black version.
I read a few threads on the Onyx when I was lurking here last week. The store had both. I decided I wanted the gears and front brake more than I wanted the black color. I want to run a shift kit so the derailer will be great. I like the idea of buying the 29 inch MT bike for donor parts. I'll start doing that once I get mine up and running in it's stock form. We have a REALLY well stocked MT Bike shop about 100 yards from my house with a really great MT Bike park nearby as well. TONS of spare bike parts around here!!!!

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
What a day!! Just an FYI for anyone buying a Genesis Onex or Astra......

Long story short, I returned the Astra and ended up leaving with an Onex. I would caution anyone buying either bike to REEEEALY take a close look before you walk out of Walmart with it. If it's not assembled, this could be tough. When I got the Astra home, sitting on it, it looked as if something was "off". I was busy working so I had my son take a close look. Long story shorter.....

The frame was not straight and that caused everthing esle about the bike to be off center or just not right. It looked as if the entire frame was bent causing the rear wheel to point to the right when the axle was centered in the dropouts. Not a little, a lot. It was the same way at the front. Basically the frame was bent in, in the middle from left to right, looking at it from the top.

Sooooo....... I also was informed that there was not another Astra in the entire area so I would have had to order a replacement. After some thought and considering the idea of a 29" donor bike for forks, front brakes and other parts, I decided to leave with a fully assembled Onex. I spent about an hour tuning it up and it rides very nicely and everything is perfectly straight. The only problem is the brake. It's all but useless and sometimes sticks. Maybe a ride and some break in will cure that. At the Wallymart where I bought it, they have a Geneisis 29" Mt Bike which I might pick up this afternoon so I can start playing around!! Nothing on craigslist panned out so Monday I will order my motor and other parts. Thanks again for all the great info here. I'm headed out to take a about a 3 mile ride on my unmotorized, new Onex :D

Last edited: