Throttle Upgrade Question

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Are there any nice upgrades to the cheap plastic throttle that comes with the kits, and what is involved in changing the grips?

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
You could look on ebay or a motorcycle parts supplier for something for a dirt bike or ATV. In fact, anything for a Japanese motorcycle should work since they are usually all 7/8" handle bars.

You can even get the complete throttle control with the kill switch to work on your bike.

The Japanese stuff is much better than the cheap Chinese junk that comes in these kits. Even the Chinese made motorcycle parts are usually better quality than what comes in the bicycle kits.

fortytwo

Aug 15, 2011
Bay area, CA
I like the one from Napa and I can get it locally...

NAPA AUTO PARTS
This looks pretty similar to the one I've got...have you had good experience with it? Mine now is pretty flimsy and it sticks.

here is another option in addition to the others. . .

Throttle Assembly

Post some pics when your Throttle decision is on the bike
This seems pretty similar to the SBP one (and the american $200 one below). I'm sure the one for 200 bucks is great quality but it's interesting to see this one and the SBP one seem to use a similar mechanism. Maybe they're worth a try.

You got your cheap Chinese throttles, Japanese and Italian throttles but what's missing here is a good old American made throttle. That's right the absolute highest quality throttle, and it is made right here in the USA! Joker Machine's Offroad Catalogdnut
I refuse to buy a throttle more expensive than my entire bike! :)

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Found a nice vintage BSA throttle good for 7/8" handle bars. I might go down that route, but I'd have to wire an independent kill switch then and I HATE electronics...

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Or which one I get for a Dellorto 12.12? Or 14.12 for that matter. I tried to send an email but I'm having a problem with that.

Thanks if you can help.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I'd $200 per, I hope it comes with a happy ending!
I guess the name "Joker" is pretty appropriate for someone selling a $200 throttle! At least for these bikes, that is ridiculous! I guess maybe if you were a motocross racer or something, but paying more for a throttle than the entire motor and kit is kinda crazy IMHO.....
I got one of those metal/chrome minibike throttles off ebay, worked out fine for me for less than $15....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Found these on spooky...pretty nice that they have the kill switch included.

Complete Twist Grip Throttle Assembly

Anyone have any experience with these?
that looks pretty much like the throttle that came with my Grubee kit. I was not at all happy with it, all plastic, wore out right away and would slip internally and allow extra slack in the throttle cable. I would look for something that is made of metal if I were you....

fortytwo

Aug 15, 2011
Bay area, CA
that looks pretty much like the throttle that came with my Grubee kit. I was not at all happy with it, all plastic, wore out right away and would slip internally and allow extra slack in the throttle cable. I would look for something that is made of metal if I were you....
Yeah, it does look pretty similar to what came with my kit as well...thanks for the feedback, nightcruiser.

Guess I'm still leaning towards the one from SBP. Can anyone tell me, is this carb an "NT" style?

imgur: the simple image sharer

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I am using an SBP throttle with the dax RT carb. Its working great. In order to get it to fit the carb, I just had to replace the noodle cable guide from RT to the straight one from the NT.

Just keep in mind if you get the throttle from SBP you'll also need to get a separate kill switch, and they sell those also.