New build...HF 79cc in a Trek

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Scotto
All I can say Is EXELENT WORK everything you do is top notch..But I was wondering when
you did the comparison you ran against a 4 G . I dont think that was a fair fight . I went on my first group ride yesterday Long Beach . We all missed you and the 4 Gs were dogs compared to Quentons kit..So how does it do against the H S with Q???
Thanks Flex.............

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
When we did the comparison, it was against 4 of our HS personal builds consisting of 3 4G's and 1 Q-matic which had the same gearing. I think that's fair enuf. It beats the HS's and runs at nearly half the RPM's....what can I say?

Silverbear has both of those engines on bikes with Q-Matics, maybe ask him what he thinks?

dnut

Hi Scotto
All I can say Is EXELENT WORK everything you do is top notch..But I was wondering when
you did the comparison you ran against a 4 G . I dont think that was a fair fight . I went on my first group ride yesterday Long Beach . We all missed you and the 4 Gs were dogs compared to Quentons kit..So how does it do against the H S with Q???
Thanks Flex.............

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
My mistake I thought all I herd was 4G.and yes that thing is moving for having such a low rpm I guess if you have that much torque you can gear lower.or higher you know smaller rear..

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
At first everybody was or somebody was saying his bike ran out of steam because of the low rpm but now that you have over come that by gearing it right . Sounds like a perfect match. thank you for figuring it out with Quenton
Flex....
somebody in sacramento awhile back wanted to race anybody with a Q Matic with HF .Said his HS would beat any HF set up ...........YOU SHOUD RACE FOR PINKS.....................I would love to see that race............

He was responding to a challenge that claimed the HF motor would out run the HONDA GXH50. The person claiming his HF motor with his personally designed drive to be a "Honda Killer" and has since "faded away". Sadly one of the owners of his drive made the mistake of running against the same motor [HF 79 CC] powered by a Q-Matic. Of course I don't need to tell you what happened, as the Q-Matic equiped bike easily bested the challenger by a wide margin.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Hi The_Aleman,

Whoops! My Q-Matic will take out all 4Gs period, at speeds over 10 MPH. The 4G if geared normally might lead for the first 50 feet, but nowhere near 20 MPH.

There are many reasons we elected to set the ratios on the Q-Matic slightly different. We think having the motor completely wound up at 25 MPH isn't a great idea [8200 RPM].
As several can attest, the motor doesn't like running way above Redline for an extended time [will pull the rod apart].

The Q-matic is "geared" to cruise at 25 MPH [@5000 RPMs] in stock form, and 39 MPH at redline[7800 RPMs]. This arrangement still has plenty of power to climb hills, get great mileage [175 MPG], and cruise without killing the motor.

The advantage of 4-stroke motors over 2 stroke counterparts is low end torque, therefore "gearing" it like a 2-stroke defeats the purpose. 2-stroke motors develope more power at higher RPMS, but are weak in low end torque.

Considering we only use a single speed drive, we think it important not to setup for instant starts, or high top end, but a good working average. While it is true, the Q-Matic can be ratio tuned to actually arrive at 50 MPH, or match other drive ratios for rocket ship launches, we think the average rider wants a smooth ride without problems.

Because of design even when matched with the same ratios of other drives, the Q-Matic transfers more power to the rear wheel and always sets the pace. We don't spin the clutch at motor speed, use gears, chains, freewheels, heavy power robbing grease, or low quailty bearings & bushings.

I am so sure the Q-Matic transfers more power to the rear wheel, that I will gladly challenge anyone with the HS 49CC or Honda 49CC to climb any hill, 0 to 10 MPH, top end, etc at any event in 2011 that I attend. I must confess.......my STOCK EZ bike set the record at the dirt drags in 2009 against all contenders in the 150 foot race. The same bike easily obtained 35 MPH in the Roller Road competition as well without massive RPM numbers. The same day my 1950 Whizzer managed 40.3 MPH in the 150 Feet [still holds the record]race, and 68 MPH on the top end Roller Road competition.

I will be waiting!

Have fun,

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
"Whoops" eh? I think not.

You weren't at the Long Beach ride, and my brother has a Honda + Q-matic, which I have ridden over 200 miles. I know how it runs very well, and while his setup is faster than mine, it is not quicker. My argument was against the statement "4Gs were dogs compared to the Q-matics" that flex man made. You haven't said anything to disprove that, but you did much to toot your own horn. None of this here has anything to do with you, anyway.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
I have to apologize for that statement I feel bad did not mean to put anybodys stuff down really!!!!!!!!!!!It's all good and it's all just in fun........Sorry...Aleman caln down.You know we all had a great time..
Flex...........

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really love the 4G. Best GB/reduction I have tried. Beats my humble offerings. The thing just has mad torque. I really don't want to go more then 30/35 on a bike but love the take off at lights and getting up to speed in traffic. For what I want, it really is perfect. Ya really never notice how much a belt slips until you try the 4G with the tooth-i-sus'ed belt. Is pretty amazing. I have it on a Honda. Really nice combo. I forget what I paid for it but was uber cheap. I can't make one for what it cost. Also like the way they look. JMHO

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, snork, snicker. (I really gotta swallow my coffee before reading you guys)

To the new owner of that beautiful MB, please know all is meant in good cheer and comradery.