is this a good idea?

GoldenMotor.com

moonman

Aug 3, 2011
ohio
hey everyone im completely new to this but really want to build a motorized bike. i dont have a ton of money to spend on it but definitley need an engine with some power since im a pretty big guy. If i were to get this engine with this mount kit would i have a succesful motorized bike? I know 6.5 hp is quite a bit but only plan on using that much power when im going up hills. I'd also like to be able to cruise steady at thirty.

Predator 212 cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - Certified for All States Except California

KIT_REAR_MOUNT_CHAIN_DRIVE

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
You got to remember your putting close to 40 lbs on the rear end. Over 35 lbs for the engine, gas weight 4+ lbs, plus transmission and then the kit weight. Might have a tendency to rear up like a wild stallion!!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You may get comparable performance with less weight for climbing and speed with a 66cc kit motor and jackshaft/shift kit that allows you to use the bicycle's multi-gearing. May cost a bit more but would be an easier install than the 200cc thumper. I guess its personal preference.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Since you ask for opinions....mine is using an engine that big and heavy on a bicycle is insane as well as probably illegal, on public roads anyway.
Somewhere the idea of mabs, motor assisted bicycles, seems to be getting lost. If you think you need that kind of power perhaps a scooter or small motorcycle would serve you better.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
The predator is a good engine. Don't know if its compatible with dax's rear chain drive. You'd have to call Dax. Also check the thread on here about the 98cc Water Pump, it is also a great engine with a lot more torque to get you up those hills. Only cost $139, not bad but you will need to mod it a bit to get more performance.