Introduction

GoldenMotor.com

May 19, 2011
Australia Newcastle
Hi all,
This is my first time on the forum and i'm glad i'm here.
I have bought a cheap beach cruiser from Big W and am keen on getting a engine on her.I have taken all the stickers off and reflectors and am looking to lay the seat back further,was also thinking of getting springer forks also.
Just wondering if its worth getting the Rock Solid 200w 48cc engine? Or is it crap with power.
Hope to chat later.
Bren.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Bren, glad you joined us.

Thats gonna be a nice motor assisted bicycle. I may be mistaken but I think they tune down the 48cc to be legal. Without any experience with one I really dont know how well they are. On the search option type in 200w and you will find many threads about the Rock solid motor, hopefully this will be of some help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome.
What was the brand/model of that bike? Aluminum or steel. Did you paint the rims or did it come like that? The bike doesn't look familiar but it should make a great build.
Lay back seat posts are available but look for one with a support bracket. Many here have reported the cheap tubular ones bend. Another option if you know anyone in the metal working industry is to go with solid bar stock. Most seat posts are 1" and taper to 7/8" where the saddle mounts. A few minutes on a lathe and use heat to bend and you'll have a seat post that is totally bullet proof. Most cruiser style frames are a little short for most guys and getting the seat back 6 or 7 inches really improves the ride.
Good luck, keep us posted on your build.
Tom

May 19, 2011
Australia Newcastle
Hey guy's,
Yeah its steel and the rims were already red with the white walls.It was from Big W which is like Wallmart. Its a Mambo brand.
I'm so keen on getting a engine for it,not sure to get the 49cc or bigger as i just want to cruise,not to worried about going faster as they are illegal anyway unless i go a Rock Solid 200w 48cc and i'm not sure how good they are.

What do yas think about engines.
This is a little side project as i'm restoring a Ford Cortina aswell.This is my car before i pulled it apart.
Bren.

Attachments

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
gday digger

yeah if your not worried about the cops then go for the big bore 66 it will fly with a fatty pipe. great power up hills too
i heard from some other threads that its 200w on bikes which is nothing but entirely up to you.
nice car by the way here is a pic if my bike with a 66 superrat by grubbie i have since fitted extra brakes on the rear and an expansion chamber, ape hangers..

Last edited:

May 19, 2011
Australia Newcastle
Hey Ratrod,
Thats the good old Big W Mambo bike like mine.
I want to get some springer forks and more of a lower profile handle bars for mine.
Looks like i'll go the 66cc from ebay when ive got the cash.
Thanks again,
Bren.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hey have you got a 302 lined up for that car!

Make sure you beef up the stopping power that rear coaster isnt much chop.....if you go a springer get discs on the front and dual pull leaver. i know i had a near miss and burns for 5 weeks not enough stopping power and too much speed.
i have bought another frame i,m going for mat black all over then pin striped lay back seat and hanger bars...may look at nitrious
take care
john

May 19, 2011
Australia Newcastle
Hey Mister Rat,
Yeah was thinking of a v8 but wanted to keep the old school look of having the old 250 6 cyl,i have changed the head to a 2v manifold.
Yeah i would live some springer forks,how could i get some front brakes that look the period instead of disks?
The coaster brakes and front ones should be good enough hey?
Bren.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
hey sorry i dont really know about springer and disc set up theres heaps of threads on this though i think the guys are using drum on the front also
....i have set up and extra set of pull brakes on the rear with a dual pull leaver that activates both at the same time....extra brakes are mandtory as these bikes pick up alot of speed and you will need em trust me i know......

the guys on this fourm are building some mad bikes with lots of contacts...

re - cortina my bro had one with a 250 cross flo from an xe or xf and that used to smoke up awsome - so 6 cyl is as good in those small cars.

take care and post some pics of your build when you progress
auflg