super mangjangler(shiftkit thing)

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
for $8.50 i built this 7-speed front-wheel-drive thing, its my homemade shiftkit, and it moves good(since it has a centrifugal and is always in or near it's powerband).has a standalone light system from a moped,and a car horn running 12 volts. sear's women's frame that was stretched(look at the seatpost) and a rear swingarm that was used for front forks, which have a reinforcement pipe that gos halfway up the necktube.large sprocket came from an exercise bike, jackshaft is actually a 3-piece crank welded to a bmx fork. steel pedal arms were cut, grinded, fitted on sprockets and welded, all by eyeball, only mathematical tool used in the build was a tape measure....no gearing calculations were done.first gear gets you to 5-7 mph, it can easily start moving on it's own, even with a 300 pounder on it.7th gear gets you around 40, it has more rpms left, but doesn't have the power to put them to use. the motor is one of those scooter motors, it came off a wrecked three-speed pedal-less shifter bike that got smashed. (yeah it looks like my gas line will get pinched but it sits 4 inches above that sprocket) and those are two mufflers bootlegged together...built in about a week, 1 or 2 hours a day....tested it on road, off-road, let fat people ride it...it held together and everything's still tight.love how it shifts to....i've been trying break it like i always did on the 3 speed coasters, but so far it's held up.....we'll see though.

Attachments

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
next might be a homemade rear-wheel shift-kit, using a shift-on-the-fly freewheel crank from an old schwinn collegiate, three-piece crank as the jack-shaft again, on a nasty cranbrook that got dug out of the basement and had a pair of bmx dropouts welded on, then got blasted and painted, welded on a thick deraileur tab, gave it a wheelset from an older specialized hardrock, 7-speed with the 34-tooth first gear on a modern cassette, not the screw type, welded those brake arm-stumps to the cranbrook fork and gave it those straight-arm things....idk what you call those brakes, but their the good kind, and can put you over the handlebars....not as good as v brakes though...and i've never bothered with cable or fluid discs..the cranbrook thing is my first ever kit bike. got a brand new kit from someone who didn't know what they doing for $70 plus some stuff i found in a dumpster.....it had already been bootlegged onto a bike when i got it....the bottom tube was smashed with a hammer in only one place to get the mount to fit, which it didn't, so he beat the mounting studs, jammed the nuts on and basically stripped or bent all four mounting studs....i guess he separated the chain for some reason so i have two masterlinks in it. the spark plug didnt clear the top tube..all in all a pitiful try....and i should've took pictures of it.but i was in to much of a rush to tear it down and get to work. (i like how the gear on the crankshaft isn't machined properly and looks at you cockeyed...its that chinese precision)

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
getting that kit together was the hardest thing in my life....getting it running was near impossible....i had to order so much crap, and nothing ever fit, and i stripped everything out....then i came here, full of ijit questions.....(nah) only thing i had to do was file the mounts, and caress the frame with a hammer/railroad track..a trip to the hardware store for some threaded rod and it was mounted.... i had to make a couple three-hole washer pieces for the rag-joint..threw some body-putty around the very ugly peanut tank to cover the lip, now its an almond tank....that doesnt leak. the locking clutch handle was broke....so i just have a nice long brake handle there. it has fenders....that had the supports welded to the outside so they dont catch a tire.started up without a hitch....stayed running with a quick idle adjustment....havn't had a problem, not even with the crappy chain tensioner they give you with a kit...runs kinda crappy, doesnt want to rev high (it feels too retarded....literally)....guess i'll be reading on the adjustable ignition timing....because i've never broken apart one of these pitifully made things....not like its rocket science though. i would've taken a pictures of the build, but i didnt find it interesting enough to make a thread for.... plus im building something odd....so my free time is going to that.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
thanks...its a little weirdy isn't it? im surprised nobodies telling me how fugly it looks, or how it wouldn't work for crap.thats how it usually gos isn't it? but....it looks like what it cost....8 dollars. it moves like a -+150 dollar shift kit. idk if they cost more or less. now its on to more things that SHIFT. (or change ratio automatically...CVTs...."oh no, not CVTs.....theres so much belt drag, its so dumb, you should just have one speed instead")

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
nah,that shiftin morini is pretty cool.watched that beast open it's maw and start banging through gears in your video. i have to put an idler wheel on the bike-wheel-driving-side of the jackshaft, in front of the drive sprocket, the chain jumps off from 1-2 if you shift full throttle....the chain is moving from a -+32 tooth 1st to a way smaller 2nd gear (idk how many teeth)...you've probably seen the cheapo shimano megadrive cassette in walmart, thats the one im using.and you've probably seen mountain bikes with idler wheels on either side of the crank sprocket....thats what i need. and maybe a video. while everyone was at death race i was riding a 5 horse briggs 3-wheel rickshaw....pickup trike....thing(need pictures), at the englishtown swap meet. its where a bunch of crackheads get together and start selling stuff they found in the junkyard for top dollar.then when nobody buys their rusty crap, they dump it there and leave.and sometimes they leave good stuff....like a mens schwinn collegiate w/ 3 speed sturmey, NON-COASTER-BRAKE hub. it got laced to a 36 spoke doublewall bmx rim, and is now a functional part of my 80's kuwahara lazerlite, along with linear-pull brakes welded to akisu forks. 52 tooth crank sprocket on 3 piece cranks. i wanted to make another motorized 3 speed, to see how the non-coaster hub would hold up.but i ALWAYS wanted a 3-speed bmx, and the sturmey wont ever break on a peddle bike.other then that im still working on my lawnmower thing. my mowrini...only a frame, trans and motor right now. starting on the rear swingarm... i have no idea what to do up front for suspension forks...its gonna run 20 inch wheels though, i know that.the shifting mechanism is also a bit foggy to me...i could just have a lever, with notches cut in a plate, off to the side like a suicide shift bike, but i want to shift with my hands or feet, preferably feet, since i have to work a clutch and throttle....its not gonna be easy to make.