Looking for an engine for a dax friction drive kit??

GoldenMotor.com

jbl420

Nov 13, 2010
northeast
This would be my first build i was hoping to find out if i was to go with the friction drive from dax what common everday motor would fit and work with this kit??. 3inch bell which i assume he means clutch plate 4 bolt. either way if anyone could tell what type of motor such as out of a weed wacker chainsaw that would bolt right up with this kit i might be able to locate a motor from such item i have. i havent decided what i want to do yet. My dad worked in a bike shop for a few good years and was thinking 2 friction drive kits would be cool e.g putting one in the rear and mounting another in the front. In that case id have to use 2 motors which i could just buy 2 of the xc50 motors they match rpms and so on. but for now i was thinking just one beefy motor like a 60cc. Also i dont know when using 2 friction kits how much motor is too much for a bike. Ill be using a mountain bike with one shock and an aluminum frame. Any suggestions on one motor for just one kit for now would be good. If anyone has any ideas for the future upgrade 2 friction kits u can also share ideas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're going to buy a mount from Dax, why not call him and ask his opinion on what motors might work for you. Just explain that you'd like to do a DIY install. Duane is very good about answering questions like that.
Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Member 5-7HEAVEN has built a few 2 wheel powered friction drives.

See this website for a good list of motors that will fit and some really great friction drives.
http://www.bikemotorparts.com/ENGINES.html

This is probably the most powerful motor for a friction kit at 4+HP
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4506/.f

This would be my first build i was hoping to find out if i was to go with the friction drive from dax what common everday motor would fit and work with this kit??. 3inch bell which i assume he means clutch plate 4 bolt. either way if anyone could tell what type of motor such as out of a weed wacker chainsaw that would bolt right up with this kit i might be able to locate a motor from such item i have. i havent decided what i want to do yet. My dad worked in a bike shop for a few good years and was thinking 2 friction drive kits would be cool e.g putting one in the rear and mounting another in the front. In that case id have to use 2 motors which i could just buy 2 of the xc50 motors they match rpms and so on. but for now i was thinking just one beefy motor like a 60cc. Also i dont know when using 2 friction kits how much motor is too much for a bike. Ill be using a mountain bike with one shock and an aluminum frame. Any suggestions on one motor for just one kit for now would be good. If anyone has any ideas for the future upgrade 2 friction kits u can also share ideas.

Last edited:

jbl420

Nov 13, 2010
northeast
Well are those kits the same 3" clutch bell like dax kits?? Also i have a 29" mountain bike will the kit work anyone tryed??? Also would friction kit be able to handle the rpms on that motor anyone know??

Last edited: