Very New Newbie from Phoenix

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice metalwork Tiki!
Have you taken the bike out and pedaled it around awhile?
I don't know how large a man you are, but between most of your body weight plus the motor so high, that is a lot of mass so high above the center of gravity.
Just curious as to how it feels on slow tight turns is all.

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
Tiki.. I'd Love to look at that drive unit. and see how it works. along with your e Bike again
It's Sunday Morning. Call me if Ya have a Moment. as I am coming down Into Sunnyslope this morning to See Check on my Dad who's alone for a couple of weeks. So let me Know?? if ya have time today..
My Number is 602-405-0394
Later
Dick

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Tiki.. I'd Love to look at that drive unit. and see how it works. along with your e Bike again
It's Sunday Morning. Call me if Ya have a Moment. as I am coming down Into Sunnyslope this morning to See Check on my Dad who's alone for a couple of weeks. So let me Know?? if ya have time today..
My Number is 602-405-0394
Later
Dick
Sorry Dick, was out of town all weekend.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Nice metalwork Tiki!
Have you taken the bike out and pedaled it around awhile?
I don't know how large a man you are, but between most of your body weight plus the motor so high, that is a lot of mass so high above the center of gravity.
Just curious as to how it feels on slow tight turns is all.
I am 6-1 200lbs. The way it was explained to me in a Golden Eagle Bike Engine thread, the rider's own center of gravity is already above the seat, and the motor's 14 pounds is not going too affect things much. There are stability issues when it's parked though. I need a chainstay kickstand, the kind that mounts near the rear axle.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...the rider's own center of gravity is already above the seat, and the motor's 14 pounds is not going too affect things much.
That is what I figured, I was just curious as to how it 'felt' riding it around pedal power with motor mounted is all.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I put the chain on last night, filled it with oil and gas, and took off around the neighborhood - what fun! Rode it to work today, noticing some issues with things shaking loose. Need to tighten and add more Lock-tite.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Well, been riding for more than a month now. Very fun! I use it all the time, rarely get in my truck. I ended up simplifying the engine mount way down, and have had no problems other than occasional chain tension adjustments. I need to find a cleaner way to change oil, preferably with a siphon to suck out the dirty oil. Staton recommends just lying the bike on its side, but oil gets on everything. The bike goes about 27 mph flat out, and I am fine with that (I have the Robin Subaru EH035 4 stroke). It definitely helps to pedal on takeoff to spare the centrifugal clutch from whining so much. You can just throttle from a stop if you want, as I had to do after I discovered my rear derailleur was misadjusted, my chain got jammed in the frame, and I fell right on my helmeted head (I was standing still). Oh well. Only pride and right knee were injured.

I find I can coast a great deal of the time after building speed, which is nice because motor lapses into idle mode and is super quiet.

All in all, a blast to ride, and very useful vehicle.

cvlt1

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, been riding for more than a month now.
...my chain got jammed in the frame, and I fell right on my helmeted head (I was standing still). Oh well. Only pride and right knee were injured.
...I find I can coast a great deal of the time after building speed, which is nice because motor lapses into idle mode and is super quiet.
Sweet Tiki, glad to see it worked out well for you.

I can relate to 'just falling over'. Last Friday coming home late I pulled in the driveway and went to put my right foot down but my shoelace had come untied during the ride and was caught in the pedal, so when I went to put it down didn't reach the ground, and my weight pulled me over.

I have nasty silver dollar sized wound and bruising on my knee, and a lessor wound on my right elbow.

I also know what you mean about pride.
Before I even looked at my wound I looked to see if any of my neighbors saw me hehehe.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I had just bought a burro at Julioberto's on Dunlap, and this happened in front of the restaurant. Luckily it was night time, so maybe the patrons and staff did not see me. I think they all did.
cvlt1

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I had just bought a burro at Julioberto's on Dunlap, and this happened in front of the restaurant. Luckily it was night time, so maybe the patrons and staff did not see me. I think they all did.
Not bad Mexican food there, better in town of course but close is a factor ;-}

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
Tiki,, Right on red rider.. it's great a hear a positive success.. as the days get cooler that group ride may become a reality..
I envision a classy ride group made up of gentlemen hmmm?? i guess i shouldn't exclude Gentle Lady's yet I don't know one woman with a motor bike..

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
Helmutt, sounds fun. just go easy on my little bike -- 26-27 mph is about it.
'Well the reality is I ride about 20 average. rarly do I roll her faster than 25.. amigo.. Even though most of my bikes will go over 50.. But then I am ascared :) Cccccc Snickering

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
'Well the reality is I ride about 20 average. rarly do I roll her faster than 25.. amigo.. Even though most of my bikes will go over 50.. But then I am ascared :) Cccccc Snickering
For me it all depends on the road and the bike.
For example I consider the paved canal bank trails my own personal Autobahn ;-}

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I tend to ride at maximum... so about 25-27 mph. This thing is sensitive to hills, and slows right down.

On another subject, one thing I just invested in, which is a God-send: an oil siphon pump! Staton Inc. just told me to lay the bike on its side to drain. Dirty oil got on everything. I can't even get the plastic fuel tank clean again. But with the oil siphon, I just pump it directly into an old milk jug. Nice and clean.

Last edited:

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Broke my leg on December 1st while riding at night -- very nasty fracture, I have to keep weight off leg for another ten weeks or so.