Hard Fall, feeling rough.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I wasn't sure if anybody would wonder where I've been for the past couple of weeks but, if any are interested, I have a story to tell.
I was in an accident which put me in the hospital. This is how it happened: I was riding to work, eastbound toward the morning sun, with a bright yellow shirt, headlight and taillight on, reflectors where needed. As I entered an intersection going straight, the oncoming driver of a large Ford truck made a left turn without waiting, and too sudden for me to react. I was broadsided on my left side.
I regained consciousness quite some distance from my bike, which was also some short distance from the point of impact. I can't precisely tell in feet or yards but I learned later that I tumbled a ways.
My shattered tibia and fibula have pins and a plate now. My kneecap was actually fixable. Slight crack in pelvis. Broken tailbone. Sprains, strains, contusions and lacerations. But the helmet did WORK! I saw it afterward. All that happened to it would have happened to my head. I cannot honestly say that it saved my life, but I don't want to think about what could have been. I still don't think a helmet law is necessary, but I will say that I would feel better knowing that my friends wore them.
And I find that motorbikes are indeed stealth vehicles. We are as close to invisible as anybody can get. The driver who hit me swore he never saw me coming, despite the broad daylight and lack of any visual obstructions. I don't think he was lying, I think he was just not looking. It seems unfair, but it doesn't matter how wrong the other driver may be if he has already hit you. I am allowing a good lawyer to open negotiations with his insurance company. I will have bills to cover.
I will ride again, after some rebuilding. But not in downtown. Too much chaos up there.
I've grown rather fond of all of you here. I say this much from the heart: if you don't yet wear a helmet, at least look at one and think about it, even if only for five minutes. And wear whatever other protection you can, it's good for you. And remember: those other drivers don't see us, and they won't really care until after they hit us. I lived, but others have died, even in my town, even recently. It's not all just fun and games out there. I would feel better knowing you were all doing what you can to stay alive. Peace.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The old say about Helmets. Its not if you do its when you do. Best wishes buddy. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just gos to say how easily this can happen to anyone.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The old say about Helmets. Its not if you do its when you do. Best wishes buddy. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just gos to say how easily this can happen to anyone.
I have a couple friends who ride and who've both never been in a motorcycle accident their "whole life", as they say. One cannot be persuaded to wear a helmet. I pray that he dies of old age. This accident was no fun at all. Pain. Lotsa pain. Thanks for the best wishes though. I'll be all right in time.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Glad you are ok. may your recovery be fast and complete. You were luckier than the guy here, he was hurt much more but he survived.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear why you haven't been around.
It seems as though drivers of cars and trucks only look for other cars and trucks.
The bright yellow shirt definitely is a good idea. I am thinking of looking for a couple of bright neon green shirts. That color is sooo annoying and bright it almost glows in the dark.
I wish you a fast and complete recovery, and I hope that you get your medical bills and more covered by the other guy's insurance.
If you were in California, what he did to you was a felony and could be construed as attempted vehicular manslaughter. You could sue him and collect from the insurance company.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had a yellow full sus Giant Warp bike. I felt like a moving target on it[getting cut off]. I often wounder if yellow has a psychological effect. Like running the light at an intersection.

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
I use to be a helmet designer for Bell and many other helmet companies... I have seen the damage that can be done to many times. Im gad you had a helmet on!

Sorry that had to happen to you, know that it will make me more aware!

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I dont know you yet, Allen Wrench, but glad you will be ok and sorry you got hit.

I live in a rural area and I share the street with unconscious cagers And little kids on ATV's and scoooters who cut through our yard doing 40 easy. I saw these little kids on Saturday blasting down the street without helmets and thought who would let their kid do that and then realized that was exactly how I grew up.

I'll consider a helmet.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Bicycle helmets are designed to break up even in impacts that would not have hurt you-- it's how they absorb energy, and it's good business for those who make and sell helmets.

The amount of energy absorption required to certify a bicycle helmet is designed to make a very specific event nonlethal: the head of a standing adult falling from that height to the ground. No speed added, no moving car added, and no helping push from the rest of the body. It can help in a modest impact, but it ain't much. Don't fool yourself into believing it's more protective than it is.

Our granddaddies and great-granddaddies fell off their bikes and hit their heads too-- some of them while riding high-wheelers. Most of the time they came out OK, just like most of the time we do too. Head injury rates and fatality rates among bicyclists have not dropped significantly since bicycle helmets came into broad use, which I think is as good a measure as any for how effective they are.

Wear it if it makes you feel prepared, but don't let it make you feel safe. It's just not that powerful. The brain inside is a much more effective safety device.

Chalo

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I hope you have a speedy recovery......I've been in two serious bicycle accidents in 40 years.

One was my fault, i saw what was going to happen and was easily able to protect my head when I came off the bike. The second one was a similar situation to yours- I never saw it coming and maybe I'm the 1% of riders that a helmet saved- but looking at my shattered helmet after the crash...I'm glad it was the helmet that shattered and not my skull.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Allen,
I just now read this and am sorry for what happened. It is something I'm aware of every time I ride, and I'm out in the forest with little traffic to contend with. I'm glad you're going to recover and that it isn't as bad as it could have been, but it was plenty bad enough and I'm sorry about the pain you're in.
I almost always have a kiddie trailer in tow even if the dog isn't with me. It makes my bike a lot more visible and I replaced the little plastic flag that came on it with an American flag. I think I'm about as visible as I can make myself be and I am still aware of how vulnerable I am on a bike. As for a helmet, I always wear one. Even a cheap helmet is better than none. I am reminded of how tireslyder recently took a spill hitting a turtle... I dumped at low speed last summer turning on gravel. It doesn't take much to end up on the ground, let alone getting hit by a truck. Glad you're still with us, bud.
SB

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Allen Wrench,
My prayers and best wishes on a speed recovery, I have had several Motorcycle "accidents", broken stuff, road rash etc... I would say 80% were because the other driver did not see me(the other 20% were youth and stupidity!) Even not when I do my daily "max speed run" I am too analytical, feeling the bike's mechanics, not enjoying the ride, wondering what would happen if the front wheel failed....(It's a age thing)... Anyway, helmets work, I use a dirtbike one, yea, a bit uncomfortable, but so is the hospital! Best wishes.

Mac

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
grad you are still around! that's along list of broken bones buddy.

i like to wear a motorcycle helmet, just to be safe. get well MB friend.

if i can ask. How old are you ? i wanna know because the older you are the longer it takes you body to recover.

EPlusGuy

Aug 30, 2010
Dulles, VA
Hi Allen -- I just joined so I can't say I noticed you were gone but I do want to say I'm glad you're ok!

donutguy -- My friend had the same experience. His bike was fine, but his helmet was split to pieces. He suffered a level 2 concussion, and the doctors told him his helmet pretty much saved his life. Better safe than sorry!

I never saw it coming and maybe I'm the 1% of riders that a helmet saved- but looking at my shattered helmet after the crash...I'm glad it was the helmet that shattered and not my skull.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
sorry to hear of your accident :(
but I am glad to hear you are healing in the hospital, rather than laying in the morgue ;)
(helmets DO save lives)

here's to having a speedy recovery :)