Help.. Broken Bottom engine casing.

GoldenMotor.com

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Hey guys... So my ride to work this morning went well. Except there is this weird like bog down when i'm going down hills and i mean any slight decline and it really bogs down and loses power.

Is this a carb problem you think?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
What color is the spark plug?
Always let the engine cool down completely before removing the spark plug or you risk the threads coming out of the cylinder head.
The color will show you approximately what the air/ fuel ratio is.
Black = too rich.
Chocolate brown = perfect.
White or light brown = too lean.
Silver = damage to piston and waaaaay too lean.
The downhill only part is kinda wierd. I want to say it may be chain tension related.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
What color is the spark plug?
Always let the engine cool down completely before removing the spark plug or you risk the threads coming out of the cylinder head.
The color will show you approximately what the air/ fuel ratio is.
Black = too rich.
Chocolate brown = perfect.
White or light brown = too lean.
Silver = damage to piston and waaaaay too lean.
The downhill only part is kinda wierd. I want to say it may be chain tension related.
Which part of the spark plug am i supposed to look at for color?
I'm guessing i need to take it out?

How do you adjust the Air/ Fuel ratio?

I think it only when i'm going downhill... to be honest i was really just looking for some kind of marker for the problem because it doesnt happen all the time.. just sometimes... and at first it seemed to be with no ryme or reason, the downhill thing was just the only thing i noticed.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. i think there's been two other girls around lately.

what's even rarer, despite your gender, you're not afraid to dig into your engine to make it work. a lot of guys on this forum seem afraid to get their hands dirty. maybe they're afraid to break a nail...;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am not afraid to break a nail, or have them painted. :)

Before you jump on that, my 4 year old grand daughter said "I am going to paint your nails papa." I couldn't say no, and I had to use an exacto knife to remove it the next day.

Now, back to the problem...I am a little confused at the bogging going down hill, as the throttle should be in a neutral position or somewhat closed going down hill, and a "bog" is generally associated with a loss of power when throttle is applied. Am I misunderstanding something here? Plenty of power going up hills?

Answering your questions- Yes, remove the (cool) plug and look at the center.
You can adjust the off idle to 3/4 throttle range by moving the C clip down for a richer mixture, up a notch for leaner. While we're at it, you aren't using 16:1 mixture are you? 24:1 for a gallon or so, then go to 32-40:1.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Maybe bogging down is not the right term, Basicly i was riding and every once in a while, usually when i was starting to go down hill the bike would just like "pull back" almost like someone is pulling me back as i'm trying to go forward, like resistace. Now i should also mention i'm having some break issues that need to be fixed, i thought maybe it was my breaks rubbing, but it just seems like too strong a pull to be that and its not constant...but maybe. I DO have plenty of power going up hills, and when i first started riding this morning i felt like i barely had power at all, but as i got closer to work it was running stronger, but still with that "pull" feeling.

My C clip.. thats the little adjuster bar thingy by the carb right? I have that down almost all the way, maybe like 1 peg up.. there arent really pegs on it though.. it just slides freely. I've always been alittle confused by that, but it seems to run best where i have it now, if i go up or down it acts funny.

I will take a look at the spark plug on my next break. I've never removed the spark plug before, when it needed to be changed i had a mecanic friend do it for me, for some reason i'm alittle scared of the spark plug. But ill get it off and take a look. I can just use a wrench or socket to remove it right?

I've been using 24:1 ratio... but i've never done 31-40:1 I think i started with 16:1 then went to 24:1 after 2 gallons, when i first got my engine and have been using 24:1 ever since. Good? Bad?

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
yup. i think there's been two other girls around lately.

what's even rarer, despite your gender, you're not afraid to dig into your engine to make it work. a lot of guys on this forum seem afraid to get their hands dirty. maybe they're afraid to break a nail...;)
I figure the things not going to fix its self :)

You should have seen my yesterady.. grease and dirt all over my face and hands... always make me feel good to make something work with my hands.. plus the dirt washes off right ;)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My C clip.. thats the little adjuster bar thingy by the carb right?

No, that is the choke lever I think if I am envisioning it right. That should be 1/2 to fully up to start, then worked down all the way once underway. If you have it part way up, that may cause you some running problems. The C clip is inside the carb, where the cable goes through the slide. Don't move it just yet...

I will take a look at the spark plug on my next break. I've never removed the spark plug before, when it needed to be changed i had a mechanic friend do it for me, for some reason i'm alittle scared of the spark plug. But ill get it off and take a look. I can just use a wrench or socket to remove it right?

Yep, nothing to fear there, just take the wire off, and unscrew it. Have a look or take a photo and post it here, and we'll get you on the right track, sounds like you may be just a bit lean by your description of where the choke lever is.

I've been using 24:1 ratio... but i've never done 31-40:1 I think i started with 16:1 then went to 24:1 after 2 gallons, when i first got my engine and have been using 24:1 ever since. Good? Bad?

You can safely go to 32:1 or even 40:1 at this point, just follow the ratio on the bottle of oil that you have. If you are running a synthetic oil, you can even go to 50:1. Either way, going to a leaner fuel to oil mix will actually give you a richer fuel to air ratio, and that may just cure all your running problems.
. . . . . . .
. . . . . . .

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
I checked the spark plug.. its like a coco color.. So i think thats closest to chocolate brown.. so thats good. No problem there.

I know the choke lever.. thats the white one. I put it up when i'm starting from cold and move gradually down as it warms up and i end up pointing down when i'm going good.

Theres another metal lever to the left of the choke lever.. I need to go look at that link to Norms carb rebuild. I will do that as soon as i get home.

I'm going to ride home now... 10miles, so i should have more to report soon :)

Oh i just mixed some gas... should i dump it and get new stuff and mix a leaner fuel? or do you think i could ride it out and just do a different mix next time i get gas.. i go thru maybe a gallon a week.

Thanks again for the help.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The white lever is a secondary fuel valve.
The choke is a metal lever right against the back of the air cleaner.

Mix up a new batch of 32:1 or better yet, correct your current batch to equal that.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Michell,
We're all very proud of you, girl. You've inflated all our male egoes.
The choke, the metal lever should be fully down for proper operation. If the engine runs with the lever full up it might indicate there is an air leak somewhere in the induction (intake) system. Either the carburetor or the intake manifold. I like to see the carb sealed to the intake with a gasoline resistant sealer such as Seal All and the kit supplied intake manifold gasket replaced with a good quality gasket material and also sealed well. Your description of bogging might be the result of an air leak. Thank you for keeping us posted on your results and success.
Tom

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
I took some pics of my carb and where my levers are when i ride.

I understand now where the choke is and i will make sure it is fully down when i ride. It will not run up all the way, i was messing with it today on my way home and the engine dies if i lift the lever up more than half way.. so i put it back down and left it alone.
So.. my spark plug is a good color
my choke is down
but i'm still getting that feeling. Its like driving into a pile of sand, but its not at all related to downhills.

Could having too much oil in the gas cause this problem?

I was thinking.... Last night when i was putting gas in, i accidentally grabbed the wrong can and put some straight oil into the tank, i closed it off and added a leaner mix of gas to try to even it out.. but maybe there is just way too much oil in the mix?

Attachments

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Michell,
We're all very proud of you, girl. You've inflated all our male egoes.
The choke, the metal lever should be fully down for proper operation. If the engine runs with the lever full up it might indicate there is an air leak somewhere in the induction (intake) system. Either the carburetor or the intake manifold. I like to see the carb sealed to the intake with a gasoline resistant sealer such as Seal All and the kit supplied intake manifold gasket replaced with a good quality gasket material and also sealed well. Your description of bogging might be the result of an air leak. Thank you for keeping us posted on your results and success.
Tom
I have some stuff called. Moto Seal "ultimate gasket maker grey" is this what i would use to seal the intake?
I bought it but have never used it... i couldnt really figure out how or where to use it.

I have some gasket material... maybe i could make a new gasket for the manifold?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you think (or know) you put straight oil in the tank, or aren't sure what mix is there now, I would drain the tank, line and carb and start fresh with a new mixed batch. We have had a couple members pour oil into the tank at gas stations to mix their fuel that way, and they end up with the oil going straight into the carb.

Any doubt? Throw it out. (properly, like mixing it with straight gas and using it in a lawn mower.)

The grey gasket maker will work fine BTW.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just to make it clear, the white plastic lever is another fuel shut-off, like the petcock on the tank. the lever points in the direction of flow. so if you thought it was a choke, you were basically limiting the amount of fuel getting to the carb.

as for the metal choke lever, it's only used for cold starting. when it's up all the way, it blocks air from sucking into the carb throat, which gives more gas to the motor, making it start easier.

i usually have the lever up all the way when my engine is fully cold to start it. within about a block, it'll start to sputter a bit, and i'll put the lever all the way down(choke off) and forget about it.

your surging problem could be the result of too much oil. do like Joe said and drain it out.

it also could be that the choke lever (the metal one, remember?;)) is loose and is bouncing up when you ride.

they loosen up from vibration or whatever and flop around sometimes. the lever should have resistance to it, and it should stay in whatever position you put it in.

that's a pretty common problem. just take the air filter off the carb and tighten up the little nut. it happens to me every other month or so, and freaks me out when my bike suddenly dies.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
My choke lever is pretty tight, and i havent noticed it moving as i ride, but ill check it out and tighten it anyway, just in case.

This morning my ride went smoother, only surged once or twice, so i think its probably too much oil.

Another thing that was weird, was at one point in my ride, i had some liqid driping out of my carb, like from the air filter, that red thing, i think it was gas.. it leaked a bit over my leg than stoped. weird So i be concerned about this?

I will drain the gas when i get home and put new stuff in.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The liquid was most likely your carburetor overflowing.
Double check all fuel hose connections and that white handled fuel valve for leaks. Look for external sources before looking for internal ones.
If all connections and the auxiliary valve are good then the float might need adjustment.
Please hesitate before adjusting it though. Every once in a while they can momentarily stick open and the carb will flood a little. Engine vibration will shake it loose again and things go back to normal. Just keep an eye on it and if it happens frequently then consider adjusting the float.