Need some advice

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Alright, recently I installed a new exhaust/spark plug. I gained a fair bit of speed/power. I generally sit around 60km/h on flat road (I have a speedo). I have a 32 tooth sprocket, do you think maybe I should change back to the 52 tooth sprocket that came with the kit? The only reason being is I'm not sure how high RPM these engien are made to go.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Alright, recently I installed a new exhaust/spark plug. I gained a fair bit of speed/power. I generally sit around 60km/h on flat road (I have a speedo). I have a 32 tooth sprocket, do you think maybe I should change back to the 52 tooth sprocket that came with the kit? The only reason being is I'm not sure how high RPM these engien are made to go.
2 strokes are made to rev high. When the weather's right my motor SCREAMS! About the time I think it's gonna blow up I'll still get even more revs out of it and just keep on goin'. Only problem I've had so far is it will heat up to the point that it starts to bog down. With my shift kit, I can hit an easy 46 mph on a flat road, 50 mph when the weather's right. When I say "the weather's right" I'm only guessing but it seems humidity has some effect on my air:fuel ratio.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Your kit came with a 52 tooth sprocket? That's pretty big. Usually they come with 44.

If you're running 60 kph (37 mph) top speed on a two stroke now, that's as high as your engine will rev, regardless of what sprocket you have on. So if you switch to a 52 tooth, you'll have a much lower top speed, but get there very quickly.
I'm not so much concerend about speed, I just don't wnat the top to blow off my engine or something.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
2 strokes are made to rev high. When the weather's right my motor SCREAMS! About the time I think it's gonna blow up I'll still get even more revs out of it and just keep on goin'. Only problem I've had so far is it will heat up to the point that it starts to bog down. With my shift kit, I can hit an easy 46 mph on a flat road, 50 mph when the weather's right. When I say "the weather's right" I'm only guessing but it seems humidity has some effect on my air:fuel ratio.
I was tihnking of getting a **** kit, but $$$.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
with a smaller sprocket, you'll rev out a lot slower than with a larger one. if you put a 52 on it, you'll be revved out quick, and not going very fast. if the 32 can pull you and the bike's weight with no probs, i keep it.

if you want to get better hill climbing and acceleration, and aren't worried about top speed, something in the middle would work, like a 40t.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
bairdco, hit the nail on the head in every way here, and I will add this to it as well, high revs with the amount of load you have on your engine with the 32T sprocket is probabbly easier on the engine than the same revs with the 52T sprocket, engines are usually easier damaged when they are rev-d up very high with no load on them so, I would for sure stay with the 32T if it pulls your bike and your weight nicely, if you blow it with the 32T in will blow with the 52T just as well, so my advice would be to ride the heck out of it enjoy and be safe.......!