What have you guys used with success?

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
I am already tired of the annoying sound of the clutch side of the motor. What products have you guys used with good results on the inside of side cover to reduce noise? I have heard guys use Plasti-dip, silicone, etc... I see the plastic covers and tar like sheets sold on SBP and such but there has got to be an easy, cheap product that works. Any good suggestions that are easy to get?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I use 3M brand spray-on rubberized undercoating on the inside of the side cover, I suppose bedliner would do the trick if ya can find it in rattle-can ;)

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
How did it work? Good results? Has it lasted? I saw somehwere, I think Bikeguy Joe or Bairdco used a mousepad? I imagine just cut it to shape and epoxy it on...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Defo good results & it's lasted more than a year so far - but it does take a coupla coats and it takes forever to dry lol (let each coat dry before the next or it just won't) ;)

I dunno about the mousepad, I've not tried it... but I'd imagine it'd work really well, the trick of it would be getting a good enough epoxy to stick to both the pad and the aluminum *shrug* PM Joe if ya wanna :)

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I am not using anything right now, and i haven't in the past, but I researched this because i wanted to reduce the noise on mine. I ran across this product, Sick Bike Parts and was wondering, as long as we are on the topic, has anyone tried it? and if so, any success? .weld

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NP Beej, but a heads up - avoid the cheap stuff as it's... well cheap lol, powdery and dry. The slightly more costly 3M etc. is a good, dense "rubber" coating, much like the stuff Volvos used on their rocker panels.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i swear by Plasti-dip. i just spray the crap out of the inside of the cover till there's like a 1/4" puddle and let it sit in the sun for awhile.

i've tried undercoating, and the stuff i got from ACE stays tacky forever. i didn't like it. it worked, i just didn't like the sticky mess it makes, not to mention the smell of it.

never tried a mousepad 'cause i don't want stuff stuck to the outside of my motor.

cork gasket material glued inside works good, too, but Plasti-dip is easiest.

but since you already got some undercoating, good luck with that.