Manic Mechanic Hub Adaptor

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
hi patrick,
yes, that gap, ok, no need.
Is the adapter actually squeezing around the hub for a secure fit?
Yep

...??? why is there a cranbrook hub measurement?
I think the cranbrooks came with different hubs???

it be a shamino falcon measurement ONLY?

Im a little confused.
I would bolt it up to your hub and be on your way. Just make sure to tighten it evenly so the gap is the same on both sides.

Pat

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
thanks pat.

:)

buuut, Justin has the hub(s) "on order" with jim at creative....hmmmmm..... I think alot of mb'ers heard that before.

(i just emailed justin)

:)

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Yep

I think the cranbrooks came with different hubs???

I would bolt it up to your hub and be on your way. Just make sure to tighten it evenly so the gap is the same on both sides.

Pat
Actually I looked at mine, it's very worn but it does say "falcon" on it. And that's the 1.506.

Maybe they changed how they were making them at some point, making the outer material thicker so it'd be more durable?

Doesn't matter to me anymore though, I already went ahead and ordered the HD hub (48 teeth are going to suck but whatever) since my bearing ended up breaking, and the LBS's around don't carry the bearing cones (the broken bearing actually took a chunk out of the cone). So they said "yeah, you're going to have to get a whole new hub".

I honestly didn't want to replace it in the first place, because I just learned how to take it apart piece by piece for greasing, and put it back together again. Coaster brakes always stumped me in the past. Oh well.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Cranbrook Sprocket Install.

??? Help ........ PLEASE ASSIST ???

Im having problems mounting the ragmount sprocket:

a. rubber discs seem too thick
b. rubber discs and metal banana attachers dont all align up,
(hitting part of hub/ sprocket too)
c. sprocket brake bar seems like it will hit the bolt heads when installed.
(some posted no mod./bending of cb arm required)

1. (went to a machine shop, and he wanted $45.00 to $70.00 to increase the sprocket hole size on 2 sprockets. ---> At this point, that option is cost prohibitive, knowing you can get a adapter, sprocket for $50.00 from PIRATE)

2.PIRATE is out of stock...it really does sound too painfully familiar.
--->JIIIIIIM! get your product out to Justin!

I've decided to either not reinstall dust cap,OR install it if it fits. (i dont want to grind down the dust cap.)

Im getting a little bit frazzled.

Sprocket concave or convex side out, whatever works.

Can anyone share several detailed PICS please of installed sprocket? and go over it with me?

I feel so inept, so stupid right now.

The instructions say 2 hours total build time - UNREAL...
I spent 4 "dry fitting"sprocket and I didn't even install a single thing!!! (not to mention the dozens of hours online trying to research the build.)

Sorry if i'm ranting.

Thanks for all your help in advance Guys/Gals. :)

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut

1. (went to a machine shop, and he wanted $45.00 to $70.00 to increase the sprocket hole size on 2 sprockets. ---> At this point, that option is cost prohibitive, knowing you can get a adapter, sprocket for $50.00 from PIRATE)

I've decided to either not reinstall dust cap,OR install it if it fits. (i dont want to grind down the dust cap.)

Can anyone share several detailed PICS please of installed sprocket? and go over it with me?

I spent 4 "dry fitting"sprocket and I didn't even install a single thing!!! (not to mention the dozens of hours online trying to research the build.)

Sorry if i'm ranting.

1. You have to either grind the dust cap down, or bore out the sprocket hole. Nothing else can be done (-dust cap = broken bicycle at some point).
  2. Throw the brake arm in a vice, and straighten it all together. Then, put 2 good 45 degree bends in it starting from as near to the center (part where the wheel mounts) as possible, ensuring they wont hit the sprocket bolt heads and will somewhat line-up with the chainstay.
Everyone has to do this, and yea it sucks but your only other choice is to leave then engine off & use the pedals (or get a pirate/hd hub).

Curious as to how the rubber disks could be too thick...

btw, here's some pics: http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-44-36-tooth-sprocket-381.html

EDIT: It took me 6 hours to get the rag-mount on, don't feel bad.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
The cranbrook uses the cb110 hub adapter or the modus hub adapter?
Mine uses the cb-110 adaapter. Others have a smaller diameter. Read along in this thread and you will see the other cranbrook hub diameter then check if its the same size as the modus adapter also in this thread.

Sorry if i'm ranting.

The rubber squashes quite a bit. It looks like its too thick at first but it wont be when youre done tightening it up. Is there a harbor freight near you? Do you have any access to compressed air? you can pick up a die grinder 1/4'' Rear Exhaust Air Die Grinder for @ $10 and a carbide burr http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM222402613P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=
from sears for @ $30. You could look else where and probably find one cheaper. Use those to enlarge the center sprocket hole. I had my rag joint sprocket touching the spokes and concave towards the wheel like this " (| " looking at the assembly from the rear of the bike. The chain lined up nicely on my Cranny.

jeffhalfrack

Apr 18, 2010
geneva ny
I posted before, try a tool rental, and rent a plumbing pipe reemer, you pad your vice and ream away on the spoke side then the other side till the sprocket fits over the dust cover , but if you know a plumber, a maintaince man at your work or apartment complex,you may be able to barrow one just get one that goes up to 2"JEFF W

fat daddy

Jun 14, 2010
Wva
I got a Cranbrook too I just bought at Wallyworld two weeks ago,the hub measures 1.530,I bought the adapter from Pirate and it works like a champ,the only way to go the way I see it.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
? fat daddy ?

You JUST bought your Cranny from Wally 2 weeks ago?

And bought the adapter from Justin at PIRATE?

Works like a champ?

HOW did you get the part(s)? Sprocket too?

They are out of stock!

fat daddy

Jun 14, 2010
Wva
Maybe I got the last one,I don't know,I tried to call several times never could get an answer,so just ordered on the web site I think on tuesday and the sproket and adapter showed up on saturday via USPS,only thing was it was a 36 tooth sproket,I would have rather had a 44,but 36 was all he had listed on the site.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
? fat daddy ?

You JUST bought your Cranny from Wally 2 weeks ago?

And bought the adapter from Justin at PIRATE?

Works like a champ?

HOW did you get the part(s)? Sprocket too?

They are out of stock!

2 weeks ago they had them in stock. I almost bought one.

EDIT: In fact, 2 weeks ago I started this thread wondering whether I should buy one or not

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Pirate lists the sprocket for the Manic adapter as fitting a #415 chain only.
Does anyone here know, if I buy a #415 chain from a local motorcycle parts store, if the chain is the same and will it fit the Manic sprocket?

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Pirate lists the sprocket for the Manic adapter as fitting a #415 chain only.
Does anyone here know, if I buy a #415 chain from a local motorcycle parts store, if the chain is the same and will it fit the Manic sprocket?

Yeah. It will fit.

You gotta hit up like a motorsports shop though (dirtbikes, ATVs, mopeds, etc). Something like a Harley shop wont have 'em.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you, moronic!
I can get a Tsubaki standard, non o-ring, from a local shop for $25.00 and have it in 2 days. He will have to order it for me.
As for a Harley shop, I know. I worked at a few of them for 17 years.
Some indie's will order a chain for you, a dealership will laugh at you.

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
I guess I'm S.O.L. then...I have been trying to get Pirate to tell me if they can get a hub for my ol Schwinn...2.250 diam. Sturmy Archer CB.