Disc brake modification

GoldenMotor.com

buzzler

May 15, 2008
I'm brand new here. I just bought a motor and want to learn what I can before I mount it. I have been a commuter for some time but just became intrigued by the motorized concept. I'm by no means a mechanic so I have lots of questions. I haven't seen anything yet about disc brakes but my first question is should I try to install a different brake system on my bike's rear wheel so I can install the sprocket, or should I install the motor on a different bike?

Buzzler

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
does you bicycle have rear disk brakes? most change to a different brake if that is the case. or you could take of the brake mount then put sprocket on to the spokes then replace the disk brake mount. or you can get a sprocket that mounts to the disk brake mount. lots of different options. welcome to the site and glad to have you with us.
:ride2:

buzzler

May 15, 2008
Thanks to all who replied. I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. I'll try to get some pics for you. I do have a disc brake on the back wheel. The bike doesn't appear to have any "eyelets" to which I could mount a different type of brake system. I do like the discs and would pursue mounting the sprocket with the disc if you think that is doable. My concern was that I wouldn't have enough clearance between the disc brake and the sprocket. The instructions with my motor didn't address disc brakes at all. Where should I go to find parts for such an application? Thanks for the help.

Buzzler

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I was dying to use my disc-compatible hub's unused mounting points for sprocket mounts, but alas, the sprocket would have hit the frame badly.

Perhaps there is room if you enlarge the sprocket center hole enough to clear the rotor's mounting jugs, bolt up the sprocket to the spokes, then remount the rotor to see if it all clears?

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I would love to hear how running this setup goes if you elect to run disc rear brakes. I think mounting the motor drive to the spokes, on a properly dished wheel, and then mounting your rotor normally, would seem to be a clean solution and ought to work well. I am an MTB nut myself and would love to see one of these kits built up on a real quality MTB frame. With great braking I think I would take my motorbike many strange and exciting places indeed..

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I would love to hear how running this setup goes if you elect to run disc rear brakes. I think mounting the motor drive to the spokes, on a properly dished wheel, and then mounting your rotor normally, would seem to be a clean solution and ought to work well. I am an MTB nut myself and would love to see one of these kits built up on a real quality MTB frame. With great braking I think I would take my motorbike many strange and exciting places indeed..
I think current 9 speed and older 8 speed cassettes might have too much dish (as was my problem with sprocket hitting frame) Way old seven speeds or singles I imagine would be best.

Years ago, when I was hardcore into mtn biking (20,000miles/year) I had dreams of having a detachable engine I could stash in some bushes at the bottom of tahoe, drive up, ride down Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or the Flume trail, then hook up the engine and motor back to the car. (This was after my riding buddies either moved, married, and/or had kids and stopped riding. Five years of solo riding sucked. I haven't ridden in six)
So yeah, a mountain bike with a throttle rocks!

nauvoo raptors

Jun 5, 2010
nauvoo il
does you bicycle have rear disk brakes? most change to a different brake if that is the case. or you could take of the brake mount then put sprocket on to the spokes then replace the disk brake mount. or you can get a sprocket that mounts to the disk brake mount. lots of different options. welcome to the site and glad to have you with us.
:ride2:
where would i get a sprocket that will mount to the disc brake flange? i havent been able to find a 6 hole sprocket that looks right..
thanx for any help..