RE: Boxer-Morini issues

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Not sure if anybody remembers a couple months back I was complaining about the boxer not accelerating smoothly, that was probably because that was the motor top speed with the gearing it had (60t sprocket)

But now the Morini is really not accelerating smoothly.

When the power band is coming up and I wanna open it up to wot
It feels like it starts choking and the acceleration is really choppy.

Somebody told me it was the spark plug but it feels like something else.

And its starting to smoke a lot, not sure if it needs a rebuild or there is some residual oil somewhere in the exhaust system

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
fresh gas, a new plug,fuel filter, clean airfilter is a good start. mixed gas goes bad in 10 day's for hi-comp motors like the morini. let me know if you want to trade for a new whizzer? dennis

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Gas and plug make sense. I did leave both my motor bikes sitting for a while I was recovering for being sick and I wasn't able to fix em

Also my petcock is leaky and I see a lot of bubbles going towards the carb, maybe it's sucking up the air.

I'll try those fixing those three

And the trade sounds tempting, but I like the full suspension, can't beat it

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have to change my plug after a day of racing. My plugs tend to go bad pretty fast. One thing is for sure...they don't make plugs like they use to!

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I have one of the hotter reading NGK plugs, but I need to look for it... It SOMEWHERE in my garage :-||

I also need to change the oil and gear, anyone have a 47 or anything under a 50t sprocket they wanna sell ?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hotter plugs are for low compression or high alt. if you use one at sea level you can get pinging and kill your piston. i think s6c morinis call for a ngk 10 [i think you have a 5.7] is a 9 or 8. old pre mix looses 1 octane a day in a plastic can in the sun. so you can ruin a motor with just old gas that lost it's octane rating with pre-ingn. alone. people think a hotter plug will make your motor faster when the truth is higher compression = power but it needs higher octane and a colder plug to fight pinging [pre-ingn] the compression is the power but you need the hi test gas so you don't kill the piston. the hi-test gas alone does nothing with out hi-compression. so be careful using a ''hot'' plug you dont want to melt a piston. sorry for running on.... dennis yea, my grandson would kill for a boxxer just fishin'

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's one of the slightly hotter ones than the stock champion plug it has, it was recommended by goat herder cause mine is the s6c with the three shoe clutch but the smaller carb

Also if this motor goes wrong, I was looking at the ktm as replacement, I think they have the exact same mounts

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Also if this motor goes wrong, I was looking at the ktm as replacement, I think they have the exact same mounts
Best bet is to get a gasket kit and rebuild it but if you want a ktm clone, I'll take that piece of scrap metal off your hands. :)

Luz74

Nov 16, 2012
UAE
Excellent items from you, man. I've keep in mind your stuff prior to and you're simply extremely excellent. I really like what you've bought right here, really like what you are saying and the way through which you assert it. You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can't wait to learn far more from you. This is really a great website. Wonderful!

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Fixed all the issues I thought that were wrong.
Fresh fuel.
New plug.
Fixed fuel petcock issue.

Still has a very jerky acceleration when I tried to open up the throttle.
Idk whats wrong with it... Maybe it's time to take to pipeline for a tune up, hopefully it's not that much.

Not much money now with holidays approaching

We're is that china girl! Time to dust it off :-||

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Not sure if anybody remembers a couple months back I was complaining about the boxer not accelerating smoothly, that was probably because that was the motor top speed with the gearing it had (60t sprocket)

But now the Morini is really not accelerating smoothly.

When the power band is coming up and I wanna open it up to wot
It feels like it starts choking and the acceleration is really choppy.

Somebody told me it was the spark plug but it feels like something else.

And its starting to smoke a lot, not sure if it needs a rebuild or there is some residual oil somewhere in the exhaust system[/QUOTE
Its the exhaust it gets plugged with oil real quickly if your using 1:25 mix instead of 1:40 or 50 mix.
I sold mine to Irebo and he said the exhaust was clogged up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Gosh I could only guess for you from over here. If you lived here locally I could prolly have it running perfect in under an hour or so. My guess ATM is mebbe you are running to rich in fuel and 4 stroking? Shoot if its too lean it will do jerking too. Could explain the extra smoke? Did the fuel turn to varnish in the carb? By the way when a 2 stoke engine is smoking it is not because it needs rebuilt. This is what 4 stroke engines do when the sump oil gets past the rings.

You'l need to know two stroke tuning theory pretty well for us to help over the net. Lots of oil, oil too much? Old fuel etc... Spark plug porcelain cracked and spark cutting out under load? There is a whole host of things to check out. Mebbe Find a reputable tuner near you.

My exhaust pipe never clogged completely up on me and I am at around 10,000 miles now. I did clean the tuned pipe connections out good once tho looking to see if there was more power..

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I do run slightly heavy on my oil mix
I'm gonna clean out my carb see if theirs something their
I just changed the spark plug
And I cleaned the exaust not to long ago

Well you know how the petcock is above the cdi box or whatever that is, well mine liked to leak... Do you think that could affect it? Causing some kind of bad spark under load?

Idk I'm gonna take it to dean, I'm local to him see if he has time

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
So got a chance to work on it after prepping my soon to be project
Got some carb cleaner, spent about 20 min cleaning the carb.
Started her up and went around the block, jerky acceleration still persisting.

So then I thought about goat herder' s comment. That their might be something with the spark.

So I noticed my plug wire close to my pipe, and I thought I saw sparks when they were touching but that could of just been from the fumes

Anyways messed with rearranging the wire
Moved the kill switch wire so that is not touching anything causing a bad ground
And the got to that wire from the magneto to the cdi
I saw that the connection was gunked up, so I cleaned it
It also looked loose, so I tightened the connection with a small screw driver.

Rode it around the block a couple times, and it ran good again. Happy man once again.

Something so simple, took me so long to figure out.

Maybe I'll solder them and shrink tube them in the future.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Good deal Ocho Ninja!! Really glad to hear is was something simple. I need to re-insulate the connection at my Plug tip correctly. I did not have the stock rubber gasket that goes on the plastic snap on to plug section on it at the time. Just got done moving things around in that area on mine today. Normal check my plug preventative maintenance stuff. I just put a tiny bit of silicone there for now..

Then insulated it right.. part of my kill switch wire was bare from another previous experiment and sitting right smack dab next to the spark plug porcelain on mine after my wire loom shuffle hours earlier . Just add all that water into the equation.. I washed my bike real good then oiled the chain and left it to sit in the yard. Needed some stuff from the store and when I started mine I had a light show lol. Dark out side ATM.;)

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
I just purchased a brand new s6c for a new morini build, and tje engine responds poorly through all stages of throttle positions. It struggles to get going, stuttering pretty bad. Idles fine, but af scrrw seems to have no effect on carb tuning. Im running a 21 phbg. I took off the carb, cleaned everything out, and switched out main jet to a 109 and pilot to 60. The float is in the correct position, patallel with carb body upside down. Spark plug is brand new, a four prong iridium bosch. Purchased a new uni fliter today. Bike still runs rough, stuttering at low rpms. Runs good at mid throttle, and skips stutters getting close to 3/4 throttle. Id love to solve what I think is a tuning problem, as opposed to a clutch issue. Does anyone have good advice or criticism? If there are any morini riders in orange county, cali, id love to bring the bike by to try and figure this out. I have a bag of all types of main and pilot jet sizes, if thatll help.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just purchased a brand new s6c for a new morini build, and tje engine responds poorly through all stages of throttle positions. It struggles to get going, stuttering pretty bad. Idles fine, but af scrrw seems to have no effect on carb tuning. Im running a 21 phbg. I took off the carb, cleaned everything out, and switched out main jet to a 109 and pilot to 60. The float is in the correct position, patallel with carb body upside down. Spark plug is brand new, a four prong iridium bosch. Purchased a new uni fliter today. Bike still runs rough, stuttering at low rpms. Runs good at mid throttle, and skips stutters getting close to 3/4 throttle. Id love to solve what I think is a tuning problem, as opposed to a clutch issue. Does anyone have good advice or criticism? If there are any morini riders in orange county, cali, id love to bring the bike by to try and figure this out. I have a bag of all types of main and pilot jet sizes, if thatll help.
Try putting your stock carb back on and see if that works better. I've heard that some of those phbg carbs have problems. Dean had to rebuild mine and drill out my jets to make mine run and now it's a rocket.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
plug reading? i have 2 19's 1 with a 4 stroke atomizer #60 slide and a 105 the other has a 2 stroke atomizer [no holes] #40 slide and a 92. i know the needles are different but i cant remember. both were on 2 diff s6-c's. if you dont have another carb i'll let you try one. phgb's can be finicky unlike mk/kh japan carbs, goat herder i think has 1 on his bed stand at all times, seems so. dennis

Last edited: