I know, kinda weird.

GoldenMotor.com

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Ok guys I need your help. Today in math class I drew up a sketch of a stretch type bike and I started to think about how cool it would be. What would be the closest bike that I could buy? How can you rake out the forks? (I cant weld so frame modification is a no no)

Thanks guys

Takeitez

Attachments

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you are aware that the more you rake it they weaker the forks get the less steering you have right? The way you have it drawn the handlebars will severly limit your turning as well as they will hit the bike frame.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There are LowRider websites that sell those raked out springer forks. They are also sold on EBAY. If you are on a budget, get a used beach cruiser frame and make a layback seatpost from an old mountain bike stem. If you have some money to spend, you can buy a stretch frame on ebay or a bicycle site.

Last edited:

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Yea I was just kind of dreaming on paper so nothing is even close to what it has to be to get it to work. I was more looking for a frame that is close to what I am looking for and then I can get some forks. I do understand that steering and everything would get jacked up but I mean, it is a sick lookin bike :D (I have another that is practicle ;) )

Thanks young

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
to pedal only .... build it and enjoy it. I might be getting old but i personally would not motorize it as you may need more than one new pair of pants.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Peddling would be very hard but what you could do is put pegs behind the pedels to pu your feet on almost like laying on your belly

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
you can buy a bent springer frontend for a lowrider, and then chop a couple of coils out of the spring to lower the front end.
if you want to go with straight chopper style forks, you can find them on e-bay with rake built into the triple trees. (the lower tree is wider than the upper tree, raking the forks out).
the best way to rake a frame of corse, is to cut the head tube off, angle the frame tubes, and weld the head tube back on. but since you can't weld, that's out.
here's my bike, with a bent lowrider springer, with 2 coils cut out of the spring.

yes the more rake you have, the less steering you'll end up with. if you have too much rake, the front end will start to wobble at speed and you'll end up in a "tank slapper" where the front end wobbles out of controle and the bars end up slapping the tank back & forth.
the way my bike is set up, the steering is fine, but i don't know too many people who actually "steer" to go around corners....you just lean like on a motorcycle.
but, my bike was set up with straight line speeds in mind, not cornering.
yes, my bike has pegs on the rear axle, which gives you a lay down riding style, like a drag bike.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Actualy , 2 wheeled bikes and motorcycles are "countersteered" in turns. Next time you're riding, try pulling a handlebar toward you, or pushing one away from you.
The bike will bank into a turn to the opposite way,and will only stay banked as long as you hold counter pressure. Let off the pressure and the bike rights itself back to a straight path. The faster you go, the more obvious this is. You can steer by just leaning, but with much less control athourity.

Last edited:

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
The point of buying a raked frame, I bought one. But they make ones like you drew, This at Bicycledesigners.com. I believe Chopper US builds one also.

This is the one I bought, is a lowryder design with a in frame tank. But with this tank I need to weld in a Bung for a cap, there is already a point to drill and thread for the shut-off valve.

Most here build them faster than I. But thats my feeling, life moving too fast gets hecktic and problems ensue from just moving too fast. But, hey, that's me and my thoughts.. As those are trying to tell you, the harder the rake, the harder it is to handle, then to compound this, (opposed to your fork length) the longer the overstock, again, the harder it is to handle. Let's put it this way. When attempting to make a right or left turns difficulty is directly proportional to the rake and length. Or in visualazation; Gonna be tough turning that front wheel in Ohio, If you and the rear wheel are in Buffalo, New York.

.shft.
• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.flg.

Last edited:

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Thank you, It's got a long way to go. Even more so before "I may even get to drive it'". Check out Laws and Legislation. Just now in New York they changed the Laws, Making Motor Assisted Bicycles illegal. So in the point, I can't even get it registerd as a Moped or Motorcycle. This where I had been heading. Then to top it off, as the phone call I just went thru since my last post here at the forum. This guy admitts He Loves the point where he can dictate what is a bicycle, whats a Moped and whats a Motorcycle. And I'm talking this guy has already done it to me, unseen and across the phone. I did too, said to him, And you think thats cool? He said, "LoL then said, have me arrested," This the hardest words I said to him. He was laughing and enjoying his egotistical power. Oh well, time to talk to my State Senator, local Police and such. Cause in doing so, he is denying the handicapped (which I am classified as since 2007). There in he is break federal law and state. No bias between electric and gas power. And he did it across the phone unseen. But then he's also rooted out, all from the web site the legislative statues reference numbers for these law changes. There is much more, but to keep it short. Just now waiting for the contact from Choppers US on my custom built tripe tree springer forks. This is suppose to be the week for notification.
.shft.

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.flg.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Actualy , 2 wheeled bikes and motorcycles are "countersteered" in turns. Next time you're riding, try pulling a handlebar toward you, or pushing one away from you.
The bike will bank into a turn to the opposite way,and will only stay banked as long as you hold counter pressure. Let off the pressure and the bike rights itself back to a straight path. The faster you go, the more obvious this is. You can steer by just leaning, but with much less control athourity.
that's whay i said lean it into the turn rather than trying to steer it into a turn.
I've been riding motorcycles for 30 + years and it's a thing that you develop naturally in my opinion.
trying to tell someone how to take a corner on a motorcycle is very hard to do.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Thank you, It's got a long way to go. Even more so before "I may even get to drive it'". Check out Laws and Legislation. Just now in New York they changed the Laws, Making Motor Assisted Bicycles illegal. So in the point, I can't even get it registerd as a Moped or Motorcycle. This where I had been heading. Then to top it off, as the phone call I just went thru since my last post here at the forum. This guy admitts He Loves the point where he can dictate what is a bicycle, whats a Moped and whats a Motorcycle. And I'm talking this guy has already done it to me, unseen and across the phone. I did too, said to him, And you think thats cool? He said, "LoL then said, have me arrested," This the hardest words I said to him. He was laughing and enjoying his egotistical power. Oh well, time to talk to my State Senator, local Police and such. Cause in doing so, he is denying the handicapped (which I am classified as since 2007). There in he is break federal law and state. No bias between electric and gas power. And he did it across the phone unseen. But then he's also rooted out, all from the web site the legislative statues reference numbers for these law changes. There is much more, but to keep it short. Just now waiting for the contact from Choppers US on my custom built tripe tree springer forks. This is suppose to be the week for notification.
.shft.

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.flg.

Your disabled? Have your doctor write a perscription for motorized assist vehicle. There have been perscriptions written for lawn mowers to be powered assist and many motorized bikes, too.

The doctors go along with this because it get's you out and doing something besides sitting at home. Even if you don't pedal at all and the motor does the work you still get a workout, fresh air, things done.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
that's whay i said lean it into the turn rather than trying to steer it into a turn.
I've been riding motorcycles for 30 + years and it's a thing that you develop naturally in my opinion.
trying to tell someone how to take a corner on a motorcycle is very hard to do.
Yea, countersteering comes naturally, and most ppl don't even realize they're doing it.
I noticed it in my arms about 40 years ago when going thru quick slaloms and twisties, much fastr than i should. Had been doing it all along, just wasn't aware of it before. Just trying to lean the bike won't make it change bank directions quick enough to stay on the road or quickly avoid potholes cars ect. I preach to riders to understand and practice countersteer. it can save your life when you need to quickly avoid something.

The next thing I preach, is get used to using the front brake a LOT more than the rear. It is about 75% of the bikes stopping power. Make it an in-grained habit, so that comes automatic without thought and it may save your life.
It amazes me how many riders are afraid of their front brakes and predominatly rely on the rear. I've seen em slide the rear tire all the way to impact and never touch the front brake

Time spent on 2 wheels is not deducted from your lifespan :~)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It's a nice artistic concept!
Especially for math class???

next u can study rake, trail, inherent stability, and more mathematical applications.
Welding will just come along naturally as u begin to apply what you've learned in math class.

:)
rc