Loss of power

GoldenMotor.com

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Ok, now I'm sure this is a question that has been asked MANY times, and I've been doing my research, but I wanted some more opinions.

I have a 58cc 2 stroke, and it's around 120 miles now. I'm running it at a 24:1 fuel mix. It has a lot of power and gets up to 26-28 without hesitation after start up.

But, after around 5 minutes of running, it begins to lose power, and it seems like I have to push it to get it above 20.

What could be the culprit?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Sounds like maybe your plug is too hot. Stock plug and direct replacements typically have a "5" in heat range. From my experience, that's too hot, even in cold weather climates. You might want to try a "6" or "7", preferably an AGK, like a B6HS or B7HS.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
When it acts up next time, try turning on the chock alittle. If it runs better then you have an air leak.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
One time I can remember one of my china two smokes doing this it was the cdi acting up after it ran for a while. Darn thing ran pretty good but after a while would loose power.

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Just an update, I replaced the spark plug with a b6hs and the plug wire/boot with one from SBP. It helped some with the power loss.

The main problem was that I had it running way too lean, which I believe was overheating the motor. I dropped the c-clip down a notch, switched to a 32:1 mix, and the power has not dropped since.

I also realized that I am using a 44 tooth sprocket, and I weigh 195 lbs. So my cruising speed is around 23-26 mph. It seems like the motor still needs to rev a little high to get to that speed, but maybe that's just normal for the engine size and sprocket I am using?

I did want to put another question out there. I have noticed this since the day I brought the bike above 20 mph, but I am hearing a thumping/knocking noise in time with the engine. I don't believe it is hitting the plug, the gap has not been shortened any. It seems to happen only when I have a load on the motor, not when I rev while idling.

I have not taken off the head to inspect it yet, but I routinely ensure that it is properly torqued down.

Any thoughts?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
If i remember correctly you have the 58cc phantom motor? if im right , i also had that wierd same knocking noise. If i remember right, it kinda sounds like a low octane knock/ping. I think i got rid of most of that noise by using premium and a 40:1 mix with a good oil. The mottor still ran great until i srewed it up, my problem was my iccesant need to tiker with it and take it apart led me to strip out the head bolts in the case .