Morini Coil Mount

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
My new custom coil mount bracket for the Morini. I know, small part, big deal. Just a cool little cad designed and laser cut stainless coil bracket. The CDI is hidden in the oil tank/tool box. Also nice detail shot of the upper engine mount and rear engine mount.

Morini detain shot by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
My new custom coil mount bracket for the Morini. I know, small part, big deal. Just a cool little cad designed and laser cut stainless coil bracket. The CDI is hidden in the oil tank/tool box. Also nice detail shot of the upper engine mount and rear engine mount.

Morini detain shot by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr
Got any close up shots of your engine stand bike mount? Where do you get those front rims with the drums in them?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Air filter is an ebay special. Here is a shot of the bike stand. Rims and front drum are from Worksman. Rear drum is a modified drum. I have a line of drum rear sprockets coming out soon and will be available in various tooth counts. I had the aluminum wheels in the above picture annodized black. Next pictures show steel wheels in chrome and painted steel.

Racer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Flyer Racer #2 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Air filter is an ebay special. Here is a shot of the bike stand. Rims and front drum are from Worksman. Rear drum is a modified drum. I have a line of drum rear sprockets coming out soon and will be available in various tooth counts. I had the aluminum wheels in the above picture annodized black. Next pictures show steel wheels in chrome and painted steel.

Racer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Flyer Racer #2 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr
Man those are a couple of nice rides, I must say. Thanks for the info. I assume that same front with the drum is a special order?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Exhaust is what I consider stock for my Sportsman Racer model. It started life as a Grubee expansion chamber and is modified to fit the boardie loop.
Pat, you havent seen any coil failures from mount them on such a vibration heavy location?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Good point. No, no failures yet. Are the coils prone to vibration failure?
Well just a heads up, as I just lost a coil and I pretty much copied your mount location. I did put 73 miles on it in one day last week. Yet it's a nearly new engine. I cant get much of an ohm reading through it now, and no spark.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I'll be the first to admit that not all my ideas are good ones. Still, I have not had any issues yet, and if I do I will let everyone know. In the mean time I will do my best to abuse the heck out of my build to find any weaknesses!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
granted it is. but what is the difference that would make one fail and the other work for years? is their a circut board in their that fails? cdi vs magnito?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
granted it is. but what is the difference that would make one fail and the other work for years? is their a circut board in their that fails? cdi vs magnito?
I dont know. What would you guess the number one reason for coil failure would be?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
same as all coils. too high voltage kills em. and to big of a plug gap. they take heat and vibes well or they wouldn't be under hoods on motors for the last 100 years. this is on wound coils i have no idea on cdi computer board modern stuff

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I just got the "replacement" coil from Morini and it seems a little larger, as well as having different connectors. Im gonna break out the soldering iron and put the correct connectors on.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
good idea cory151. bad connections cause lots of problems. i told my neighbor to clean all his plugs and switch wires in his house and he cut his bill by 1/3 and i got some free dinner and beer [both i don't need] dennis