How to Install Coaster Brake over Manic Mechanic Sprocket Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Re: How to Disarm Coaster Brake?

Problem is, to get the proper chain alignment, I had to move the sprocket adapter as far out as it would go. This leaves a 1/2" recess and means I would need at least that much of a 90 degree bend on the brake arm.

My attempt to bend the brake arm at the 90 degree angle resulted in a broken brake arm.

Since I already have front & back brakes, is there a way to disarm the coaster brake without replacing the existing hub?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think you can? I used to disarm them when I was a kid. All I remmeber doing was taking the metal brake pads out from inside. I remember peddling like 3/4 to a full revolution to reengage the peddle side tho. I would perhaps PM Bairdco on this one. As I don't know all the models and if they are all safe for this procedure.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Bairdco,

Tried the coaster brake disarm instruction video you sent; worked perfectly.

Just had to remove the two brake shoes and put 2 washer spacers in between the brake cone & clutch cone; and put back together. Viola, free coaster hub.

Thanks for much.

2Dawgs

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Venice,

Thanks for the tip on bending the brake arm with a torch; will definitely use this technique for future coaster brake installs.

2Dawgs

zachattack

Dec 2, 2010
missouri
Bairdco,

Tried the coaster brake disarm instruction video you sent; worked perfectly.

Just had to remove the two brake shoes and put 2 washer spacers in between the brake cone & clutch cone; and put back together. Viola, free coaster hub.

Thanks for much.

2Dawgs
i would really like to see this video if you culd plz send me the link

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Zach,

The video Bairdco gave me no longer exist on YouTube.

However, there are several videos on disassembly & reassembly of the coaster brake; just google and select one from YouTube.

Once you disassemble, discard the brake shoes and add two to three washers (same size as the washers on the coaster brake assembly) between the clutch & outer cone.

This will disarm the braking on the coaster brake hub.

2Dawgs