Morini 3.2hp Felt Vintage ion build

GoldenMotor.com

skunk

Feb 19, 2011
North Eastern Australia
G'day fella's,

Firstly thanks for all your inovations, sharing your ideas and builds on the forum. Ive learnt heaps already not too mention the entertainment factor.

My plan at this stage is too use a felt vintage ion bike with the morini 3.2 engine for short and regular longer distance travel. Im wondering about the suitability of this engine.

My now reasoning for the 3.2 is it's still more powerfull than the gx50 and less violent than the higher morinis with peak hp/tq at lower revs. Will be getting a custom exaust built here made for extra quietness.

So is the 3.2 a good choice for an allround flexibil touring bike and how quiet do you reckon it could be got with a $$$ exhaust?

Also if your in town can you near idle around with these motors too dull the noise and remain inconspicuous? How do these motors perform at lower revs?

Im pretty much ready to purchase and start the build but along with the choice of motor need to decide to go the jackshaft/nuvinci route or flip floped rear crank.

Itching too get this project started as my car is being sold this week.

Thanks all

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Don't let the big Morini fool Ya . The clutches can be totally adjusted to make them much slower and less powerful like a simple cruiser bike.. many folks are finding a happy medium in just simply adjusting the clutch.

As for the smaller Morini don't know as I have not tried one yet. I think all the Morini's will always over all out perform and out last the common China 2 smoke.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
As for specs on a tuned pipe just follow the manufacturers specs. You may be able to adapt a after market pipe from a dirt bike or a moped etc. This is half the fun! Finding a pipe that fits your build. A Company here called Pipelyne has been manufacturing pipes for years and can make a pipe. I used there pipe and can say from experience they work great.

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/new-scsw-tuned-pipes-sale-189.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f51/expansion-chamber-resonance-25085.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f51/china-girl-exhaust-poll-25935.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f47/building-morini-pipe-20216.html

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Very interesting topic, is this why Pirate is only selling the higher powered Morinis? So you can set the clutch at a lower desired power, I just assumed this would need to be done with sprocket size. I assume the higher powered Morinis are of similar weight and dimension then, as there smaller siblings?

Adjustable power does sound good as long as your not having to slip the clutch to do so, I would think. The 3 puck clutch on the bigger Italians is the way to go then?

.flg.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Very interesting topic, is this why Pirate is only selling the higher powered Morinis? So you can set the clutch at a lower desired power, I just assumed this would need to be done with sprocket size. I assume the higher powered Morinis are of similar weight and dimension then, as there smaller siblings?

Adjustable power does sound good as long as your not having to slip the clutch to do so, I would think. The 3 puck clutch on the bigger Italians is the way to go then?

.flg.
Setting the Clutch to lock up right off idle with no slip will result in about a 1.5 hp motor from the starting line. ''Makes a very slow run''... The clutches were designed to run in a oil bath on a race track. They are made designed and engineered around competitive racing.

So what you get instead of peddling to speed to let the clutch out is a clutch that puts the motor in its power band sooner off the start. Of course there is always peddle assist. There are spring arrangements that will engage a motor sooner on all the models. The big Morini that I am familar with has a very loud exhaust noise like a dirt bike at the race track. Folks will engage the clutch sooner to combat this noise a bit along with making a better sense of a cruiser bike. There is a happy reported medium.

Being that the clutch is adjustable a guy can put it where he needs it. Also as far as wondering about comparing a Morini clutch to a china girl. The china clutch pucks would burn out daily with the uber power of a capable Morini being transferred through them IMO. The M clutch was made for it.

If you cruise it around the clutch will go forever practically. If you run it hard well then there is more maintenance like replacing the spring stacks on the Three shoe clutch from heat degradation... Some folks that have hotrodded a china way up there have gone to C clutches. It seams to depend on a light bike for a china and being a 130 pound guy to get away with it? IMHO. hybrid chinese motors and performance tuning - Page 13 - Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum

The little Morini the op wanted to know about is a great motor! From what I have heard. Know one has complained about it ever that I know of.

Last I checked Pirate only had a 5.8 hp model.

Last edited:

skunk

Feb 19, 2011
North Eastern Australia
Excelent info goat herder thanks man.

cheers for the question too Cory

I did read some where the 3.2 and 5.8 clutches are diferent and from what you say the 5.8's clutch can be adjusted down to engage at lower revs giving probably the same dirivability as the 3.2.

I guess it cant hurt to get the 5.8.

Guess what im wishing for is for the morini to behave more like a 4s with less peak and more torque. My Understanding of 2 strokes is poor.

wondering if the Morini be toyed with in that regard like lowering compression ratio and doing away with the expansion chamber for a touring exhasut,jetting , carby mods etc etc for typical moped style of engine performance and most importantly noise.

The adjustable clutch is a good start .

Thanks again

skunk

Feb 19, 2011
North Eastern Australia
S6-T 5.8hp

COMPRESSION RATIO 12,5 +/- 0,5 : 1

MAX TORQUE CRANKSHAFT 5,06 Nm at 7500 rpm

S6-E Electronic 3.2

COMPRESSION RATIO 9,5 +/- 0,5 : 1

MAX TORQUE CRANKSHAFT 4,03 Nm at 3000 rpm

Just thinking out loud here lol.

Im taking it you can uprade the 3.2 clutch?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With the exception of the 9.4 s6s being reported to fully engage around 10,000 rpm from the factory from folks . This clutch every one brings the engagement down. The stock clutch springs on the 5.8 hp are set for 5500 to 6000 which is cherry for the 9.4 and the 5.8 in my taste for power. This is touted from my experience with the 5.8 hp. I am about to strap on a 9.4 modded to at least 10 hp.

The 3.2 I believe not absolutely sure? is set around from stock springs 4500 to 5000 rpm . In light of this early engagement this motors power band starts early? but don't know as I have not tried one. It has a smaller piston than its big brothers.

There has been reports of the 9.4 being the best over all power with all adjustments. The exhaust pipe [tuned] is mandatory to get any performance out of a two stroke. It is the camshaft of a two stroke. What it does is represent a camshaft performance like the cam on a 4 stroke. Two strokes have no valve and no cam. The pipe sonically and with pressure waves shoves unburnt fuel back into the exhaust for more power between the cylinder stroke firing.

With the exception of the springs the stock two shoe clutch is interchangeable with the 5.8 and the 3.2.

Four strokes typically pound for pound have a little better low end than a two stroke but when you wake up a two stroke and its in its power band with revs up to 10,000 and 15,000 rpm's these pigs deliver mad power! They are usually touted as faster than most of the 4 strokes but don't know as I have not tried them all. I like two strokes.;)

Last edited:

skunk

Feb 19, 2011
North Eastern Australia
Just watched your youtube vid. Very nice and hey your using the jackshaft and nuvinci also. Thats the icing on the cake :D

Hows it all honding up? Do you have a build thread?

BTW. I just emaild Morini franco USA regarding the 3.2 clutch and what can be done.

Big up ;D

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Setting the Clutch to lock up right off idle with no slip will result in about a 1.5 hp motor from the starting line. ''Makes a very slow run''... The clutches were designed to run in a oil bath on a race track. They are made designed and engineered around competitive racing.

So what you get instead of peddling to speed to let the clutch out is a clutch that puts the motor in its power band sooner off the start. Of course there is always peddle assist. There are spring arrangements that will engage a motor sooner on all the models. The big Morini that I am familar with has a very loud exhaust noise like a dirt bike at the race track. Folks will engage the clutch sooner to combat this noise a bit along with making a better sense of a cruiser bike. There is a happy reported medium.

Being that the clutch is adjustable a guy can put it where he needs it. Also as far as wondering about comparing a Morini clutch to a china girl. The china clutch pucks would burn out daily with the uber power of a capable Morini being transferred through them IMO. The M clutch was made for it.

If you cruise it around the clutch will go forever practically. If you run it hard well then there is more maintenance like replacing the spring stacks on the Three shoe clutch from heat degradation... Some folks that have hotrodded a china way up there have gone to C clutches. It seams to depend on a light bike for a china and being a 130 pound guy to get away with it? IMHO. hybrid chinese motors and performance tuning - Page 13 - Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum

The little Morini the op wanted to know about is a great motor! From what I have heard. Know one has complained about it ever that I know of.

Last I checked Pirate only had a 5.8 hp model.
Well I hope they have the 9.4 hp because I just ordered one ......

Franco Morini S6S 9.4HP Free Shipping

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

.flg.
Well Brodder they did not have any three weeks ago I meant nothing by it lol.:)rotfl I think they may be getting them through Morini USA dunno?

Well I hope they have the 9.4 hp because I just ordered one ......

Franco Morini S6S 9.4HP Free Shipping

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Just watched your youtube vid. Very nice and hey your using the jackshaft and nuvinci also. Thats the icing on the cake :D

Hows it all honding up? Do you have a build thread?

BTW. I just emaild Morini franco USA regarding the 3.2 clutch and what can be done.

Big up ;D
It held up great under the guise of simply using it as a cruiser bike chains and the hub will last longer. While it proved to be a perfect cruiser. I was ''always'' testing the boundaries. I beet the ''holy'' heck out of that bike. Duty cycle on the N.V. hub it got boiling hot on extensive long journeys. Especial a very long hill climb.

At the time I built this very few folks had tried it that I know of? I may have the last working one dunno? There has been reported busted parts with every build like this I think. Including my self.

I have got tired of chain maintenance every 800 or so miles. One particular chain was sometimes sooner but was only 12 dollars a pop so I lived with it. The rest of the chains were only good for about 1500 miles max tops. Tired of all the extra moving parts including the moving parts in the N.V. hub robbing power.. I actually have never broke the hub it should have broke by now. I owe that I think to a good clutch set up perhaps dunno?

Other than I don't think I like the design any more. I no longer trust it tho. At right on my third set of chains I grow tired of it and want to perhaps build something else.

The bike came out very heavy and I am a tall big lumber jack size pro wrestling build. Need less to say the 5.8 hp Morini got tested. This is a awesome motor!

To ask the question would I do another Morini J Shaft? No I would not. The Morini I used was boarder line too much power for this. I am a 9.4 hp single speed Morini kinda guy now..Torque straight to the pavement and not trapped in a mess of moving parts.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Well Brodder they did not have any three weeks ago I meant nothing by it lol.:)rotfl I think they may be getting them through Morini USA dunno?
Haha yeah no worries, I didn't mean to come off so "matter of fact-ly." Just trying to put out the latest word.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm thinking about the 3.2, I want something cheap(er), high quality, and tame, and the 3.2 matches all of those. Tell me if any of you have used it, I'd love to see some pics :)

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Correct me if Im wrong but, part of the reason guys are opting for the larger Italians is because they come with a 3 puck clutch instead of the sometimes problematic and less robust two puck.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Possibley, I don't know these motors well enough to comment on interchangeability yet, still learning myself. I bet on of out knowledgable vets will chime in, in this regard. :)

JogiCR

Mar 13, 2011
Costa Rica
We have the same bicycles, two of them, new Felt Bultaco Pursang. Got the jack shaft from SBP. Ordered the SR5 Grubee chinagirl from bikeberry. Paid 3 weeks ago, no delivery or any answer from them on what´s going on. Anyway, we are seriously thinking to switch and get the Morini. Skunk, did you got your 3.2hp by now ?
I believe this is the best engine for it.
.shft.