Gas prices are going up

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just read a news article where the ex president of shell said gas prices will hit $5 by next year. That could just be the beginning. Although it's really bad news in general, it's probably good news for motor bicycles. Especially when it hits $10 a gallon.

What price do you think it will have to get up to before the masses will be clamoring for motor bicycles? Might be a good time to invest in motor bicycle stock.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Or at least set aside some place and time to start building them for people. I'm sure glad I'm retired now. I used to commute 80 miles a day and filled the tank in my Ford Ranger twice a week. I've only filled the tank twice since October 14. With the rising gas prices...that's money in my pocket :)
Tom

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
hammonds right, most people aren't very smart.

but honestly i don't see gas becoming that expensive to soon. at least not in most parts of the country.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
"Necessity is the mother of all invention."
— Albert Einstein

In foreign counties they live daily life on these things and it necessary. How will our economy fair?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
"Necessity is the mother of all invention."
— Albert Einstein

In foreign counties they live daily life on these things and it necessary. How will our economy fair?
thing is these things have been around for like 100 years now, and are still not common place in america. even though for many it's a very viable option.

most people simply don't have common sense sadly.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
back in the 70s families were rationed to 1 tank of gas every 2 weeks. they still didn't adopt these bad boys.

they'll go with out before they'll compromise.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
back in the 80s families were rationed to 1 tank of gas every 2 weeks. they still didn't adopt these bad boys.

they'll go with out before they'll compromise.
IMHO I lived here in the states all my life and never saw that ban. I don't remember it? Ban or not I think there will one day be a time of reckoning and there will be a with out for some of us for sure. I am going on getting to be a old man so it will not be in my time? Not gonna be my problem lol.Google

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
IMHO I lived here in the states all my life and never saw that ban. I don't remember it? Ban or not I think there will one day be a time of reckoning and there will be a with out for some of us for sure. I am going on getting to be a old man so it will not be in my time? Not gonna be my problem lol.Google
There was a short lived gas rationing in the late 70s but that was from a trumped up oil imbargo. The difference between then and now is back then the bottom wasn't dropping out of the economy like it is now. We still had manufacturering and jobs in those days. It's different now and getting worse fast.

If it gets bad enough and stays that way long enough, when people see us laughing ans singing our way to the store getting 120 mpg things could change.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If it gets bad enough and stays that way long enough, when people see us laughing ans singing our way to the store getting 120 mpg things could change.
In third world countries you don't get caught or stopped after dark. It will no longer be your bike lol. I can name off a few places here locally that will happen now! Some of the natives get restless after dark! There are places in L.A. you better run the red lightslafflaff

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In third world counties you don't get caught or stopped after dark. It will no longer be your bike lol. I can name off a few places here locally that will happen now! Some of the natives get restless after dark! There are places in L.A. you better run the red lightslafflaff
That's not as big a problem in Texas. Everyone is armed.

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
There was a short lived gas rationing in the late 70s but that was from a trumped up oil imbargo. The difference between then and now is back then the bottom wasn't dropping out of the economy like it is now. We still had manufacturering and jobs in those days. It's different now and getting worse fast.

I'm old enough to have been driving in the 70's and worked in a gas station two summers. (People are actually nicer after being cut off from gasoline for a year.)

Gas was rationed only by ODD or EVEN license plates, you could get gas depending on the last number of the car's license plate. The problem was the Arab OPEC countries decided to stop shipping oil to the USA. Gas lines were long and some stations rationed quantities, but I don't remember the government ever putting in rationing. (I have a GMC Suburban I rarely drive. Don't get impatient and honk while I'm filling it. I'll fill it up... all 43 gallons.)

Everyone sold their big cars and bought small cars. 15 years later, all of those small cars are gone, oil is $10 a barrel, and SUV's are the car of choice. 20 years later, oil prices are skyrocketing back to adjusted for inflation highs.

Big picture, look at Europe. More people in the USA riding small cycles and smaller cars. However, most American cities are setup to use freeways as the main transportation, unlike Europe. Switching from suburban sprawl to urbaan high density housing is going to take an economic shock.

If gasoline goes to $10 a gallon, watch out for hyper-inflation. You might smile about more people riding motorized bikes, but you may not have a job.

Gas is going up as the American dollar goes down.

Lastly, in California, you need a motorcycle license for a motor bike, just like a motorcycle. Only electric bikes are unrestricted.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
It can go up to $20 per gallon for all I care, Ive been running waste motor oil filtered and run through a centrifuge for some time now. People just dump gallons of it at autozones and walmarts with little care and my little 6BT Cummins just drinks the stuff. Long live the oil burners!!
Now if we could only get a 49cc diesel motorbike kit.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
It can go up to $20 per gallon for all I care, Ive been running waste motor oil filtered and run through a centrifuge for some time now. People just dump gallons of it at autozones and walmarts with little care and my little 6BT Cummins just drinks the stuff. Long live the oil burners!!
Now if we could only get a 49cc diesel motorbike kit.
I'm afraid I don't know that much about diesel engines. lol