80cc? Is it really? And isn't 50cc a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I'm not familliar with how the dual clutch works, but if you can operate the bike without operation of the manual clutch and have the centrifagul clutch take full operational, then it would be entirely an automatic transmission.. however it would seem obvious that the manual clutch has an operation even in a dual setup, because what other reason would it be there for...... perhaps you have to pull in the manual clutch when slowing down because the cent clutch only unlocks off load and/ or at idle.. I don't know how the china engines operate in a dual setup, but I can give a logical guess that you need the manual clutch to pull the cent clutch off load and unlock

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the man clutch is only for peddal starting,then the cent clutch is used all the rest of the time.
actually i dont even use my man clutch because its disengaged to pull start then i engage it and the cent clutch takes over.

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I'm not familliar with how the dual clutch works, but if you can operate the bike without operation of the manual clutch and have the centrifagul clutch take full operational, then it would be entirely an automatic transmission.. however it would seem obvious that the manual clutch has an operation even in a dual setup, because what other reason would it be there for...... perhaps you have to pull in the manual clutch when slowing down because the cent clutch only unlocks off load and/ or at idle.. I don't know how the china engines operate in a dual setup, but I can give a logical guess that you need the manual clutch to pull the cent clutch off load and unlock
I dont have a cent. clutch,I was just going to ask why my engines run great but die on idle,all 3 have done this ,is it a clutch issue or the carb?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I dont have a cent. clutch,I was just going to ask why my engines run great but die on idle,all 3 have done this ,is it a clutch issue or the carb?
ither problem could do it... clutch not disingauging fully or the idle screw needs adjusted

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
stay away from boygofast!!!
no warranty what so ever!!
if you have a problum they will just play dumb and give ignorent answers.
we bought are last motor from them
6 days after recieving the kit and notice a crankcase leak at the gasket where the case halfs come together. they are playing dumb about the problum. said to silicone it or put a piece of gasket in it .
this thing has to come completly apart wont warranty it. kit did not come with the tool required to take the motor apart.
had to dissasemble completly to split the case. the gasket was folded in half. of corse it ripped.
man am i pissed!! 1 week of bs emails

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
6 days after recieving the kit and notice a crankcase leak at the gasket where the case halfs come together. they are playing dumb about the problum. said to silicone it or put a piece of gasket in it .
this thing has to come completly apart wont warranty it. kit did not come with the tool required to take the motor apart.
had to dissasemble completly to split the case. the gasket was folded in half. of corse it ripped.
I had very good service from BGF over the years. He always fixed any minor problems as long as it was reasonable. Most complain because the don't want to ship anything back and expect vendors to send new stuff on their say so. Sellers have to protect themselves from ignorant and dishonest customers.

These days I prefer DAX and Zoom because their prices are similar to BGF but somewhat easier to deal with due to better web sites and no language barrier like with Rick. BGF is mainly Ebay so kind of a pain but, contrary to some troublemakers, not a bad dealer at all.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
I must have gotten lucky, then. Nothing unusual, just the same pressed-tinfoil nuts and bolts you get with all the kits. The engine just runs sweeter and sweeter every day.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i never have to worry about making a phone call or worrieing about custumer service cause the engine kit i got from gasbike runs great and ive had no major problems.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I have a 50cc and a 66cc, They look the same, it's difficult to tell the difference by looking at them. The 50cc runs much smoother, but lacks the torque, a 15mph wind will decrease your speed a lot and you'll be pedaling more on take offs. The 66cc I can take off from a stop and powers through a 15mph wind, but vibrates quite a bit more. The 66cc might be a couple mph faster.

I have more stop signs on my route so I prefer the 66cc. For longer rides with minimal stops I would prefer the 50cc.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a 48cc and i dont have to peddal at all,the bike takes right off from a dead stop.
i have lots of torque and speed and the wind doesnt slow me down at all.
and i put rubber between my engine mounts and frame and now have 0 vibration.

cruising speed 25-30mph topspeed around 35mph

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
i have a 48cc and i dont have to peddal at all,the bike takes right off from a dead stop.
i have lots of torque and speed and the wind doesnt slow me down at all.
and i put rubber between my engine mounts and frame and now have 0 vibration.

cruising speed 25-30mph topspeed around 35mph

Maybe I got a bunk 50cc then, I have had it up to 38mph and it's smooth "no rubber mounts". The 66cc is a bit faster and more torque, but vibrates more, maybe I'll try the rubber mounts on it.

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
Cabin, Shadeslay, you mind me asking what you guys weigh? I have a (hopefully) higher quality Starfire 48CC kit that is on the way but this talk is making me nervous. I'm 205 lbs, is the Starfire going to have issues scooting my carcass around? Chips

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Cabin, Shadeslay, you mind me asking what you guys weigh? I have a (hopefully) higher quality Starfire 48CC kit that is on the way but this talk is making me nervous. I'm 205 lbs, is the Starfire going to have issues scooting my carcass around? Chips
Chips,

I wouldn't worry about it.

I weigh 230lbs. A few weeks ago I built a bike for a customer using the Starfire 48cc. It worked out fine.

Jim

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
You could get the bigger engine and, if questioned,give an honest but misleading answer:

"Officer, this is not a moped or motorcycle, but a 'motor assisted bicycle'. It's my understanding that these bikes, equipped with less than 50cc engines, are exempt from licensing/insurance requirements to which motorcycles are subject."

Heheheheh. This statement in no way asserts that YOUR engine is 50cc, and avoids the problem of lying to an officer, which would be a crime.
Sounds like an answer Donald Rumsfeld would give. 100% true, 100% irrelevant, and 100% misleading... :D

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
I think the important thing is to not "attract attention". If you go blasting past a cop at 40 MPH, he's gonna pull you over no matter what you got bolted to the downtube.
I have an "80", I drive it between 20-25 MPH, and I have cops pass me w/o a second look.
But I weigh 300#, so 66cc is going to pull me like 50 would a skinny dude.

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
That's good. I wanted a reliable engine, not the fastest......I do have a couple of hills to deal with but maybe a sprocket change would be in order down the line if needed. Thanks for the scoop. I should get my kit Friday and will post pre-op pictures of the Flying O cruiser that we're giving wings to tonight. Chips

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
i bought an "80" from bike berry because of the weight issue, and it has worked out just fine. if you intend to go FAST, this isnt the hobby for anyone.

with about 260 lbs of weight, i can still do about 20-30 mph. (i got clocked by the cops)
:)

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
I know this is very oold. But im in CT as well. Have you registered any of your bikes here??
If so, did you register them by the make/model of the bike & serial # on the frame like other members have done in Cali?