ignorant drivers thread !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Roger,
Its been my experience that a person like you are describing generally falls into a single category. Lets put aside that he lacks any moral upbringing and that yes he probably does yell at his spouse (in my book that's as bad as punching her). If you investigated his life Id bet he has no control over events around him (these guys usually give excuses that blame everyone but themselves) and whenever the chance comes to control a situation he will. Guaranteed he wouldn't have tried that unless he was in a car/van/truck.

Perhaps someday something will come along and persuade him to take accountability for his actions and join society. Slim chance.

HEY! Glad your ok!!!

Dan

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
guys my bike is no slug lol its as modded as you can get aside from a reed valve setup cause i ran out of money during the build so i left that out lol.

my bike does 40 on a short burst with a stock 44 rear ! thats like 9,500rpms with a 26in tire! it will run WOT for extended periods of time at around 8,500 rpms and cruise like that at 35mph ! i built it for top end speed and geared it for power LOL its a strange combo to drive and it has almost no low end .... but good god once you get up in the rpms she builds power like you would not believe !!! basicaly i have to pedal up to 10mph then dump it and give it the gas this gets me out of the sluggish low end and starts the motor right before the begining of the power band. so from 15 to 35 mph she has insane power !!!

any way i was going 33 or 34 in a 30 mph zone ! over the posted limmit !!! and a car comes up behind me and gets real close and rides my ass ! i dont know why but mabey they thought because i was on a bike i was going slow and they didnt look at the speedo .... well i speed up to get them off my ass and now i am pushing 40 !!! and the car speeds up and gets up my ass again ! as this is going on we start to pass a speed limit 30 sign and i point to it and hold my arm out pointing to it as we pass it ... i guess he didnt like that lol cause he backed off my ass and then gassed it and passed me at 50mph or more on the other side of the road wile i was doing 40 !!! and then continued to drive 50+ mph down the road till he hit the red light at the end lol i pull up behind him shortly later and kill my motor, i yell out "hey you know the speed limit is only 30 right ?" he yells back F YOU ! and rolls up his window !

i hate people ! what reason did he have to pass someone already going faster than the posted limit ? it didnt get him anywhere ether lol he still had to stop at the light and wait !!!!

face palm......

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I have had cagers pace me before, which sounds a bit like what you had going on there... They don't understand how a bicycle is going that fast, so they match speed and check out the bike. I have had drivers sit just behind me to my left as well, which makes it a little rough on some curves or turns. Some folks are just ignorant and out to give us a hard time, but there are others who want to know more. Once or twice I think I've had the traffic-frustrated cager follow for a better look. (I used to commute across one of the few bridges here in the GVA.. at rush hour traffic can be beaten across by walking, so when I buzzed past in the bike lane doing 45 kmh uphill, it got attention).

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Most of the hassles I encounter has been curious gawkers who want to see my bike better, or ask questions: Where did I get it, is it for sale, can they rent one like it, etc. I live in a popular tourist town, Panama City Beach, Florida. There are at least a dozen retail outlets that rent scooters and during tourist season, the roads are sick with them. My biggest complaint is when they get right up beside me and pace me, sometimes getting dangerously close. If I want to turn left they make it impossible to do so, speeding up or slowing down does no good as their curiosity overrides any concern for my personal safety or legal rights. I think a lot of them have never seen a motorized bike, much less one that has been tricked out & customized like mine has ( see my photo gallery here: http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1126).

I have had one or two cage ragers who don't think folks like me have a right to be on the road with them and yell at me or honk as I won't/can't exceed the max posted speed limit of 45 MPH. So far no one has tried to kill me, but to be honest, there are times when the feeling isn't mutual. I am considering getting a hero cam for my helmut just so I can seek lawsuits and/or criminal prosecution.

sactownie

Jul 20, 2013
sacramento ca
How about the people driving cars behind you that are pacing you directly behind you when your doing 30 in a 40-45 zone and you need to get over to the left and they sit there right behind you!
This has happen to me about a 1/2 dozen times in the last 4 months. The last time I looked behind instead of relying on my mirror and I saw them way behind and I start getting over to the left to make a left turn and they speed up on me as soon as they saw me turn my head when i was getting over!
I was almost a motorized bike statistic! Idiots! They were following behind me for atleast 1 1/2 miles.
Well I got a really bright tail light im putting on and its stupid bright even in the daylight so maybe this will keep the idiots in cars wanting to pace me from behind to get away?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's worth a try, sactownie.

But I've also noticed that idiots are surprisingly resistant to warnings. Like bright lights and bright colors.

When they're in 'stupid' mode, it's hard to shake them out of it.

You should give it a shot, though. I've even considered getting some cheesy little turn signals. One of these days I probably will try it. After all, they'd at least be useful for me and for the sensible drivers.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
A guy in a nice shiny red Benz sport sedan stepped out turning left like he was going to force me over to the right side of the road, turning onto my street lane. I just kept going and shook my head at him and took off way faster than he thought that my bike could go, and claimed the lane, since I can go the speed limit and stay centered to avoid all that blind spot left side rubberneck tailgating shenanigans, I've had enough of that crap. I usually stay right in the bike lane on roads where I know that I'll be a rolling roadblock, but on roads with slow neighborhood speed limits, lined with parallel parked cars in the bike lane, just waiting to swing open a door and cause the somersault of death, I claim the lane and assert my right to use the whole road have a safety buffer. Let them get antsy to get home, wanting to rip through residential neighborhoods so they can get home and drain the lizard and drop the kids off at the pool. lol

sactownie

Jul 20, 2013
sacramento ca
Yea I had a large SUV i think it was a tahoe start turning right, in front of me when im in the bike lane. He caught me off guard and I almost ended up in his passenger door.
I slammed on my brakes and prevented that but it makes me wonder what the **** he or she was thinking that they couldn't slow down for 2 seconds to let me go by the street they wanted to turn on instead of forcing me to slam on my brakes?
Ive come to the conclusion this motor bike is just a hobby and a cool way to go to the store when I just need a 6 pack or chocolate for the wife. No way it is viable daily transportation at least in my opinion. Just to many A Holes driving cars with no respect for 2 wheels.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Even when I'm driving my van, I get dummies turning right from the lane to my left. And turning left from a lane to my right. All under circumstances where it is neither legal or permitted for them to do so. And on the highway I'm generally going 5 to 10 over the limit, and I'm made to feel like a grandpa by the jerks who are honking behind me and flying past. They've always been out there, I think. But without an auto body to protect you, they are somewhat more dangerous to you. I have learned I should have been watching out for them ever since I learned to drive...no matter what I drive.

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
This is why you need a camera installed, so when stuff like this happens......its a attempted murder charge, or atleast a sweet cha-ching moment in injury court. Get your cash extra quick with video evidence. The thing is parking lots and T-intersections is where its at, slow moving vehicles are easier then fast moving vehicles to not die from.

As for tailgaters while driving, slam on the brakes, say squirrel ran across road.

djnutz

May 14, 2010
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The rule I teach is that bicyclists fare best when they act as drivers of vehicles. This means position yourself in the lane where a driver expects a vehicle to be. Be predictable. Signal EVERY move. Get in the habit of taking a quick glance backward before making a lane change, or turning. The act of taking a quick glance lets you get a quick visual of who is behind you, as well it lets that driver know that you are aware they are back there and that you might be planning a move. None of this will 100% guarantee you aren't going to have problems, but it has been proven several times over in several communities to greatly reduce the number of bicycle vs car incidents.

While on my way home from work one day last August, I was almost run off the road. The driver pulled along side me and told me to get off the road before he runs me off. I was doing between 18-20mph in a 25mph residential area. His kids were in the vehicle and he used language that would make a sailor blush. I got his plate number and called the police. They called back stating the vehicle make and color did not match at all. I went for a short ride, found the vehicle, and called the police with the new information. Thanks to Google and Facebook, I found his name and address as well.

More important than sharing the road, this guy taught his children that it is ok to talk to and treat people that way. Parents should be educating their children so we can break the cycle of self centered behavior, not perpetuate it.

I had a visit from an officer and he told me that he went and had a conversation with the driver AND his children. He told them that according to city ordinance, cyclists have the SAME rights and responsibilities as gas and diesel powered vehicles. The driver felt that my move to the left was not an indication that it was not safe to share the road, but an aggressive maneuver to hit his truck. He was 20 feet behind me when I moved left. He told the officer he was doing around 30mph and I was going too slow. The officer told him the speed limit is 25mph and it is the responsibility of the driver to know that.

In the end, that family learned a lesson. I prayed that the lesson he learned that day saved the life of another cyclist further on down the line. Even scarier is that the entire exchange happened over the distance of less than one city block at the end of which he turned left. There was literally no need for it to happen. If I was "disrupting his commute," it was for maybe 30 yards or so. He actually pulled along side me, which means he could have kept going, said nothing, and made his left turn. Instead, he chose to use his truck as a tool for intimidation and aggression. He used foul language in front of his children. Worst, he demonstrated to his children that when you are frustrated with a situation, it is OK to be outwardly aggressive, angry, and threatening to get your way.

If he was that quick to react that way towards me, how often does he react that way in those situations? How often are his kids exposed to that? What happens when his kids become driving adults? Do they mirror his behavior? What if he DID knock me off my bike? What would his kids think then? The officer that stopped by is also a school resource officer. He said the kids were reluctant to talk to him at first. He thinks they were a little scared by the whole thing. The officer also spends a little time each month as a bicycle cop as well so he was the best guy to have deal with this. I just hope and pray that the guy AND his kids think twice next time and give the cyclist the respect he/she is due.

Confronting the driver the way you did might have been a bit fruitless. I realize how stressful those situations can be, but cooler heads will always prevail. If it were me in your situation, I would have dropped back, gotten the tag number, and followed the guy to his destination. That gives you some time to cool the emotions a bit and formulate a plan. If you are going to have contact with a driver and exchange expletives, after the conversation, has anything been gained? You both are still angry. He is still of the mindset that you don't belong on the road and you are of the mindset that he is a total ******bag.

The police are there for a reason. I would call in his plate and follow him until cops show up. Even if he isn't charged, flashing police beacons in the mirror can scare quite a few folks straight.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You guys make me glad I live and ride in northeastern Minnesota. If I had to contend with your situations I probably wouldn't ride much. As it is I am aware of my situation, being exposed on a motored bicycle and am always cautious. The people I encounter generally wave, smile and sometimes will pass, pull ahead and then stop to take a picture as I ride by. It helps having a cool vintage bike and a dog wearing doggles in a sidecar made from a canoe. I also run an American flag on a makeshift fishing rod flagpole which gets attention and also suggests the old fellow riding the bike might be a civil war veteran. Ha!
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I feel very privileged to live in a rural area and a small country town as by and large other road users are quite patient and courteous towards an old lady dressed in old fashioned style clothing who rides a variety of ancient bicycles. Sometimes folk will pass a little close (usually city folk who have been let out for the day) and I have even been filmed by people hanging out passenger side windows as cars pass me by.
Even though roads around town are often used by double trailer logging trucks and milk tankers I feel quite safe, though on some of the more narrow river bridges I will stop and check both ways for approaching heavy vehicles and let them cross before I carry on with my ride.

When I was still living and working in the city I used to take my bicycle with me on the suburban trains and then ride the rest of my way to my destination. There were more than a few very busy intersections where I'd become a pedestrian and wheel my bike across the road on the crossing signal; - not that that was particularly safe either as one time a car that had stopped for me was plowed into from behind at high speed by another car whose driver had failed to see the red light. Once across the road I had to stop and lean on my bike for a while until my heart rate slowed down to normal again. Fortunately nobody was hurt, though I did come close to being hit as the first car was pushed onto the crossing.

I don't think I would want to try riding a bicycle in the city again. Apart from the exhaust fumes, most roads are carrying far more traffic than they were ever intended to carry and the majority of drivers are very aggressive and drive much too fast. Back in my twenties I can remember when the city council engineers were telling the city politicians that something would need to be done with improving roads to carry an increased projected traffic loading. Their response was that traffic densities were never going to get that high, - well they didn't get that high, - they got even higher than projected.
I imagine somewhere there is an algebraic equation that traffic engineers now use that relates the brain density of politicians to shortsightedness over projected traffic densities rotfl

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"....a rural area and a small country town as by and large other road users are quite patient and courteous towards an old lady dressed in old fashioned style clothing who rides a variety of ancient bicycles....." --Intrepid Wheelwoman

You're more fortunate than we are here in America. In those rural areas that I've known, anyway, traffic has increased in volume and speed to the point that bicycling has to be approached with as much caution as needed in urban areas.

I suppose I shouldn't overstate it. The area I spent my late growing up and early adulthood in, for instance, is rolling hills, woods, etc. I still visit from time to time. The 70 mph autos on those narrow little roads certainly frighten me. It didn't used to be that way.

Still, if I were there with a bicycle I'd ride. But it would be reflective vest and one of those orange flags you mount on the rear axle. At least.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is an "ignorant drivers thread"......http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=53157

Not sure if the dog was driving.....or the ignorant? Pretty much one in the same ;)

I hate the word hate, but I truly hate idiots that can't drive in the first place. Put a dog on their lap, a phone in hand while brushing their hair and smoking a cigarette rockin' to Metallica.......oh yeah they can multitask!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme a friggin break..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: