Need rear hub / gearing information

GoldenMotor.com

ryanryan82

Jan 30, 2013
california
Im going to do a morini build but haven't decided on full suspension or not.

I need to know the type of hubs, gearing adapters I need to buy chain, and

gear ratio. Everything else I can fab into place What hubs/gear adapters

where those boxer bikes using? Chain size? Is a chain tensioner mandatory?

Can anyone put a link to a strong enough hub/axle/rear gear adapter place for

the morini motor?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
best bet is to read as much as you can in this sec. except for the boxxer all our bikes are one off's. morini's come in 2 1/2 hp all the way to 20 hp hopped up racers. where a 2 1/2 hp bike will use bike brakes a racer will use moped or hydro brakes. read up that's half the fun. go to the races you will learn a lot. dennis

ryanryan82

Jan 30, 2013
california
Will the 36 spoke hubs from a scooter moped/ specifically the Honda wave mate up to a 24 inch mountain bike rim or 26 inch rim? I noticed the scooter uses bigger thicker spokes I am in asia now so have access to tons of hubs what kind of spokes should I use? because of the hubs big holes I think i must use the thick spokes but don't think they will be long enough for a 24 inch rim and maybe to thick for the 24 inch rims holes trying to find a happy medium I would just use the entire scooter moped wheel but its to small its like the size of a 20 inch bmx wheel to small for a mountain bike also I want to run the 24 inch rim and have access to those tires please see attachment below to see the hubs I mentioned any help would be greatly appreciated and as im in asia I cant show up to the races to ask around

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
our racers have peddles. so it helps to find a hub with a freewheel, drive sprocket and hopfully a brake. a lot of mopeds use that system. as far as 24'' rim's, good racing bicycle tires in 24'' are hard to find. alot of guys are going 17'' moped. 19'' [32 hole is ok] moped tires might be the way to go. i think 19''moped is 23''bike size. go as light as you can but if you can find aluminum rims with 10 ga. spokes you wont have to worry about the morini twisting them. like i said we run what we brung and have alot of fun! dennis

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The old moped hubs work real well for the Morini's. They have bicycle side sprockets and nice bolt-on drive sprockets for the motor side. Initially, we ran Old PUch hubs on our Morini bikes and used 45 tooth sprockets. Gearing works well for all around, but if you want to go racing you need a bigger rear sprocket to gear the beast down. The best thing is the offset is right on both sides, so chains line right up if you use the stock Puch stuff. The Puch hubs were made by Leleu, they also made hubs for other Mopeds, but watch the offsets, some are not right.

If you run a Puch or Leleu rear hub, sprockets with correct offset are limited in tooth count. Pat (sportcarpat) solved this problem with his two piece rear sprockets which can be had in just about any custom size. HE just got a huge lot of orig Leleu rear hubs and can set you up. Otherwise, check 1977 Mopeds, but a warning: the old Mopeds used a unique thread pitch and it may be hard to find a bicycle freewheel that fits the hub. So shop wisely!!

Rich

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Goat, what do they cost?

I have been designing some thing similar (for multi geared) but would be way easier and possibly cheaper to just buy one.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Rory.

If you mean mine, I have yet to get much beyond drawings. Have all the tooling but will be at least until Sept. before I can get to any new projects.