Bottom crank jack shaft.

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
study the pictures in the link I posted
using a bmx freewheel will not work because its pedal start
the 2 sprockets on the freewheel SBP uses act as an idler until you pedal then it locks up
by putting a sprocket on the left side and running a chain forward to the crank with pedals keeps it simple and made with parts that are already made.... IE no custom parts=no machineshop bill

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
the SBP freewheel is just like a bmx freewheel but it allows you to change the sprockets and in this case run dual sprockets off the same freewheel

when you pedal and only when you pedal does it become one solid unit otherwise just acts like a regular bearing

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Ooooohhh i thought that you guys were going to do it with no pedals, so I thought he was push starting or something. I can't see the pics very well on my phone.... I know exactly how an sbp kit works. And torque means nothing without rpm, 2200 rpm means a lot of horses with the torque from a big rig. You could put an engine with less torque but more rpm and the same HP and as long as it has optimal gearing it will perform similarly. If you have an engine with 1000 ft/lbs of torque but only 1 rpm, you can pull a lot but not fast at all. The same result could be achieved with an engine that has 1 ft/lb torque and 1000 rpm as long as it has proper gearing for the application.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Ooooohhh i thought that you guys were going to do it with no pedals, so I thought he was push starting or something. I can't see the pics very well on my phone.... I know exactly how an sbp kit works. And torque means nothing without rpm, 2200 rpm means a lot of horses with the torque from a big rig. You could put an engine with less torque but more rpm and the same HP and as long as it has optimal gearing it will perform similarly. If you have an engine with 1000 ft/lbs of torque but only 1 rpm, you can pull a lot but not fast at all. The same result could be achieved with an engine that has 1 ft/lb torque and 1000 rpm as long as it has proper gearing for the application.
ok so then we can take the motor thats in your bike and put it in a kenworth and it will power the kenworth just the same as the motor the factory installed
80,000s pound and move it at 70 miles per hour. Now this I gotta see. Just like a STOCK 32 ford coupe going down the freeway at 70mph and doing it daily without blowing up or overheating.

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
ok might look confusing im not good on cad but i hope it gets the point across
there is the gear cluster which will include a 44 and 36 bolted with a 1/4 in plate for spacing then it will run to a baring on the rear frame on the outside of the two gears will be a old steel bmx hub part weled to a bolt on plate so i can thred the free weel on ie the small circle in the 3 set. the pic is kinda messed up the big gear in the middle should to to top jackshaft gear and the meedem should go to the back rim. and the small free weel to the cranks

there fore i should have no problems with the cranks spining when motor is runing right?

.weld

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I just have stock gears with a stock kit. 29" tires with a kit built for 26" tires. That looks like an interesting setup Rich. Thinking belt to J-shaft then to the rest?

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
i was thinking a chain from the top jackshaft to bottom tringle gear cluster from 2 gear in cluster to rear weel and from the freewhell bolted to the outside of the gear cluster to the cranks

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Sorry to spam your thread, but this guy really wants to make me look like a fool. Yank, your are 100% wrong anybody who knows Jack whack about mechanics and physics will agree with me. When you have say 2-1 reduction, it increases torque by 2 times and reduces rpm 2x. Agreed? So, that means you have the same HP. The engine in my bike has nowhere near the torque of a big diesel but more rpm, and still much less HP. I said that you could use two engines with the same HP, one more torque and one with more rpm, and have the same performance as long as they were geared correctly for each engine. Can someone else please comment on this, I know I'm right but this guy is persistent with his foolishness. Lol we both need to lighten up.laff

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Sorry to spam your thread, but this guy really wants to make me look like a fool. Yank, your are 100% wrong anybody who knows Jack whack about mechanics and physics will agree with me. When you have say 2-1 reduction, it increases torque by 2 times and reduces rpm 2x. Agreed? So, that means you have the same HP. The engine in my bike has nowhere near the torque of a big diesel but more rpm, and still much less HP. I said that you could use two engines with the same HP, one more torque and one with more rpm, and have the same performance as long as they were geared correctly for each engine. Can someone else please comment on this, I know I'm right but this guy is persistent with his foolishness. Lol we both need to lighten up.laff
2-1 reduction on one motor and 1-1 on another the 2-1 motor will have to spin 2X as fast to get the same speed from it
What part of this do YOU not understand?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you can only have power or speed your not gonna get both at the same time
thats why transmissions have GEARS lots left to learn about how motors work

this is why he wants to build the setup he does so when needed he has the power.... to cruise he has the speed without blowing up the motor by over reving it

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
ya know what, i'm going to be the mature person here and end this ridiculous argument. i really wanted to come back and prove my point, but it would only make things worse. you obviously don't understand my argument, so there is no point in continuing this.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
o really, 4 dragsters can't move a semi? if that was anywhere near true, it would be because top fuelers have only one gear, they slip the clutch for half the run and because they are geared for a top speed of over 300 mph. if the gear ratios were right, you could easily power a semi with a dragster engine if dragsters had multi speed transmissions. hp is torque times rpm, so you can substitute one for the other as long as the hp is the same and you compensate with the gearing. i don't know why you can't accept this concept.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
if thats true why to your TORQUE a bolt in foot pounds

Torque, moment or moment of force (see the terminology below), is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis,[1] fulcrum, or pivot. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object. Mathematically, torque is defined as the product of force and the lever-arm distance, which tends to produce rotation.

Loosely speaking, torque is a measure of the turning force on an object such as a bolt or a flywheel. For example, pushing or pulling the handle of a wrench connected to a nut or bolt produces a torque (turning force) that loosens or tightens the nut or bolt.

The symbol for torque is typically τ, the Greek letter tau. When it is called moment, it is commonly denoted M.

The magnitude of torque depends on three quantities: the force applied, the length of the lever arm[2] connecting the axis to the point of force application, and the angle between the force vector and the lever arm. In symbols:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

tell you want you bring grandpa's hothod over here and I will hook it up to the 136 horsepower truck and we will see who wins the tug of war

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
most big rigs have more than 400 hp stock. i don't know what you are arguing, i know what torque is and the unit used to express torque has nothing to do with the concept of horse power. horse power is the rate at which work is done. my original argument was that torque means nothing without rpm, and that is true because the amount of work done depends on both torque and rpm. you can have a ton of torque and very little rpm, and you will not get much work done in a certain amount of time. tug of war is a match of traction and torque. hp is what really matters in an engine because you can use gearing to get either more torque or speed, can we agree on that?