WF-26, questions on sprocket sizings =)

GoldenMotor.com

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Hey, completely new here! Just got an 80cc Wildfire (wf-26) for a few hundred and I love it! After mostly fixing the leaky gas cap anyway. ;-) Starts easy, warms up fast, and I don't even need to use the choke at all-- in fact, it doesn't start if I use it. I'm a little disappointed with how noisy it is pedaling with the clutch in, engine off-- for on campus and such-- but it's not too bad.

I do have a couple concerns, though. It's running on a 44t sprocket and my top speed is only 24.05 mph, by GPS, with 20:1 and 94 octane break-in mix. I'd be okay with that if the roads around here weren't 30-35mph. As it is, I barely have to pedal from a stop and I can accelerate plenty fast. I'd like switch to a smaller sprocket, but have no experience. 27t seems small, 36t perhaps not quite small enough. I weigh #190 and might need to go up hills, but I don't think it'll be trouble getting up them if I pedal along-- I can zip up them as it is. I'd appreciate any thoughts and recommendations on sizes-- I'd like to go about 35 mph so I can ride on the back roads here in Spokane. =)

Also the fork shocks have some play that concerns me, most noticeable when braking. Not really sure how to fix that without replacing the shocks, though. Crank hub has a little play too, but I should be able to fix that. Again, thoughts appreciated... =)

I'm really looking forward to perfecting this little cruiser, it's fun and I think I'll use it for a long, long time-- even if I eventually replace everything on it. =) Please share your experiences with different sprocket sizes, too! =) =)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, my advice is to get the engine through the break in stage (3 tanks) then switch to the fuel mixture you want to run. Check the spark plug color to make sure it not too lean and do small mods at a time. Just my thoughts but untill the rings seat you will need the 44t. As for the 94 oct fuel these engines run great on 87 or89. I ran 16 to 1 on my first build butit ran terrible, read on here to try 24/1 and that helped also.

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the advice! I didn't know I could check plug color to determine leanness, that's makes great sense though! I'll take your advice and hold off on the sprocket for now and stick to smaller mods/fixes, like that gas cap that still isn't perfect... =)

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks! Looking in that board, I also found info on quieting up the chain noise! That's my next project. Thanks again =) I love this place! =D

Last edited: