Cold and/or Wet and Snowy Weather

GoldenMotor.com

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Hi do I need anything special for my HT Dax 50cc in cold and/or wet/snowy weather? I'm guessing it will get as cold as 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit sometimes maybe colder. Any precautions?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Seriuously 10 degrees? I'd not recommend that unless you have some kind of arctic suit and know how to use it....wind chill at that level will frostbite you in seconds.

Seal your cdi/mag wires and stay out of water unless you want a lot of problems.

You'll more than likely have to go down one notch on the jet needle.

I'd say "have fun", but you won't.

I have ridden a road bike (motorcycle, no windshield, 35 mph top) several times in the 20-25 degree F range and it's no picnic even with a snowmobile suit, and proper boots/gloves/ect. By the time you are dressed enough to stay warm, you are running into problems with mobility/visibility. It's kind of a hassle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't get me started on the 35 degrees and rain adventures. Nothing is water proof at those temps I don't think, no matter how much you paid.

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Well i'm not so concerned about me freezing to death as about the bicycle and/or crashing. I'd rather freeze and then crash so I don't feel so much pain :p Its not even really winter yet and it was 29 degrees this morning!

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You'l get so darn cold that you shut the motor off and start peddling to stay alive been there.rotfl On another note did anyone ever find gloves that actually keep your hands worm for more than a half mile of riding?rotfl

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Last time I was in Florida I witnessed some of the most powerful thunderstorms I've ever seen. Was one h*ll of an experience.

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I'm actually kind of concerned about wet/cold weather as well. I use my bike to take me to class every morning (I'm in college).

I used to pedal my bike to class rain or shine. I am still going to need to get to class on a rainy day, what do I do about riding it since it's got this motor attached? Can I not take it outside now?

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I don't see why not. The motor can handle it. I occasionally ride mine to the car wash and hose the engine off to keep it free of dirt and oil. I ride it away wet. No problems unless I shoot water into the air cleaner.

What could be an issue is traveling through the rain faster than you would normally on a bike. Could get cold and wet and the beating pelts of raindrops may be a traffic hazzard.

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Well I don't really go that fast on my way too class, no need to scare the people around me:)

I have the kill switch wires etc wrapped well in electrical tape and I'll keep the chain oiled. Anywhere else I should take care in getting covered so that I can take a trip to class during a rainy day?

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
Been riding my bike at night where it is less than 40 deg F. This morning I rode it a mile and half and it was about 30 deg F. I wear a winter coat and regular winter gloves and the only thing that bugs me are my ears so I need a hat. I rode my bike in the rain before but since I have steel rims the brakes basically dont work so you must plan ahead. I plan to keep riding for a couple more months here in Newark DE

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
One little trick I'd like to share as far as gloves go is get one of them cheap one dollar gloves usually brown in color you find in the garden section at a hardware store. Put those on then put on some latex gloves over them (I believe Costco has them or medical supply stores or even at the doctor's office make sure no one is looking most won't care if you only take a few). The latex gloves shield your hands from wind. With the cheap glove acting as a liner against your skin it's really comfortable. Then put your winter gloves over the latex gloves.
Believe me your hands will be toastier than your feet.
When I ride in the winter time I honestly believe I can hear what is coming out of people's minds when I pass them. I can honestly hear them say "There goes the village idiot."
I just ignore them and smile.