Super Cheap 30t Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
Welcome to the forum!
Sooo...... What kind of top speed are you getting out of this gear ratio and how is the take off torque?
Well I just finished it tonight and went for a little ride.. but it was dark so I couldn't really tell exactly how fast I was going, but I definitely noticed a difference. The engine seems to handle it very well, I just have to pedal a little faster to get it going, but it just cruises at a higher speed pretty easily.

Can't wait to take it out tomorrow!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the carb. is tuned good and you have a good flowing exhaust you should really enjoy that sprocket.

I have a 32T on one bike a 34T on another and a 36T on another, they all cruise real nice and pull the moderate hills around here with no problem at all, If I were to just take off at the bottom of the hill with out getting up some speed my bike will still pull up them but not as easy as a 41T sprocket does.

I've been thinking about dropping another couple a teeth on one of my bikes so I will check that sprocket out, I made the 36T I have from a peddle crank chain ring off of a 16'' kids bike.

Peace, Map

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
If the carb. is tuned good and you have a good flowing exhaust you should really enjoy that sprocket.

I have a 32T on one bike a 34T on another and a 36T on another, they all cruise real nice and pull the moderate hills around here with no problem at all, If I were to just take off at the bottom of the hill with out getting up some speed my bike will still pull up them but not as easy as a 41T sprocket does.

I've been thinking about dropping another couple a teeth on one of my bikes so I will check that sprocket out, I made the 36T I have from a peddle crank chain ring off of a 16'' kids bike.

Peace, Map
Nice! Yeah I did raise the needle in my carb one notch and it gets a lot more power.

Last edited:

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
How did you drill the holes? Just wondering how you got them good enough not to loose the chain. This is a great idea if it holds up well.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
How did you drill the holes? Just wondering how you got them good enough not to loose the chain. This is a great idea if it holds up well.
It should be easy enough to copy the bolt pattern from the existing sprocket.

Look at the selection of all the inexpensive sprockets you can use!!

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...Csid=rpsemd9r2p4evg9gr10pnd3am4&x=5&y=8dance1

Besides, these sprockets bolt right onto the SBP or pocket-bike freewheel. With the correct left-hand freewheel and a freewheeling rear wheel hub, these sprockets would bolt right on.

Of course, you'd need a pullstart on your Happy Time engine. Orrrr, you could spotweld the freewheel and not need the freewheel.

Last edited:

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
If you look at the first pic you can see I used the old plates as a template and just went around the other holes. It fit perfectly, I was very surprised! I did have to shorten the chain a bit though. Its WAY smaller than the original sprocket.

Also I just went for a ride and HOLY COW am I going faster. I'd say around 30-35. I don't know if im willing to go any faster than that but im sure it could. I do have to pedal really fast to start up and it seems like its really tough for the engine to handle the uphills but man, I am flying.

I think some of it might by my exhaust pipe, I left the fuel on a couple times and i think it got gunked up. Does anyone know how to clean them?

Thanks!

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Thanks for the reply. Guess I couldn't put 2 and 2 together when I saw it the first time. Added bonus off the smaller sprocket is that you wont have the torque to break your spokes ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ordered one these 30T sprockets a bit ago, so once I get it I will also post pics of the mod to use it with the rag joint set up, I think this one will end up on my Karaoke Bike, it has the 36T that I drilled for it, but I would like to have that extra 4-5mph the 30T should give on the flats.

Map

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
I ordered one these 30T sprockets a bit ago, so once I get it I will also post pics of the mod to use it with the rag joint set up, I think this one will end up on my Karaoke Bike, it has the 36T that I drilled for it, but I would like to have that extra 4-5mph the 30T should give on the flats.

Map

Oh man it's totally worth it, it feels more like a motorcycle than a bike now.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
At that speed your engine will be doing 5000 rpms. There is a good chance that if you were really going at it you where going much faster then that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh man it's totally worth it, it feels more like a motorcycle than a bike now.
Yeah it does make a big difference, when I ride my bikes to work it is a 32 mile round trip, so being able to cruise at the 32-35mph range is really nice, it also allows me to keep up with most raffic while I'm in town and then I just ride the shoulder for around 8-9 miles outta town on the way home out here in the sticks....

Map

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
From what I figure if I get even close to the same amount of rpms that I currently can get (a little less then 7500) then if I do this I will be flying. I currently have a 36 tooth sprocket and am not sure if I am willing to give up not having to peddle to start. Being little does have its advantages ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Having to peddle a few feet aint that bad now, I'm 5' 10'' and weigh in at 205lbs so not peddling isn't an option for me, but I don't mind it, I only need to peddle for about 8-10 feet and then I'm off........BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!....REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Map

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
Cool stuff, yeah it can get kind of annoying having to start and stop a lot with the traffic lights, but cruising is just soooo fun. I think I might try and bring a gps with me and see how fast im actually going..

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I think some of it might by my exhaust pipe, I left the fuel on a couple times and i think it got gunked up. Does anyone know how to clean them?

Thanks!
Some folks soak them in solvent or gasoline and let them dry out.
I was taught to use a cable threaded all the way through it connected to a hand drill. Some folks say that a small link chain works better than that.
Never, EVER pull the cable or chain out while it is still spinning though, You just may end up going to the hospital with the injuries to yourself that that can cause.

My all time favorite so far is to make a nice sized bonfire and when the flames are low and the coals are plentiful just put the pipe in the middle of it all. Don't forget to turn it over though, sorta like cooking a steak on the grill. It will cook out all the nasty gunk, turn it to soft ash.
Warning though, this will stink and smoke alot!
The next day after it is nice and cold to the touch, do the cable or chain with a drill thing. Rinse well with soap and water and repaint it.